The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I often don't agree with you, Kev, but I'm 100% with you now.

I also think what you're saying reflects something else you said recently (tell me if I'm getting this wrong): that you have a preference for a certain type of talent-first player that you want to root for but is progressively lower-value in today's NHL. I also think that jives with your dislike of Sully - his system is usually effective, but man the Pens play fugly hockey sometimes especially on breakouts and entries.

I like Sully and think his system works/wins but for a certain type of hockey aesthete it wouldn't resonate.

Tell me if I got this totally wrong.

Finally somebody understands, thank you. And I also get disagreeing with my opinion but to completely discount it or belittle stating it has no merit..... to me, that’s the true ignorance. I learn a lot from people I disagree with.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think it’ll be fun to see a team based around new players tbh.

I'm intrigued to see how long 87 and 71 can remain scoring line centers. I think you could build a team that's still playoff caliber with them not being superstars any longer.

Reactions: Peat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I applaud moves like that. I did at the time as well. Low risk high reward trades are exactly what we should do more of. Zucker was the opposite as was the Kahun trade.
I'm ok with both deals, hopefully JR can sign Sheary and this time, moves Johnson to do it, fixing an egregious error.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Near the end of their careers is when the Pens will start to hoard those 1sts. Kasper Bjorkqvist will carry this team single handedly with Rust.

I think the Pens will be faced with a tough decision when Malkin's deal is up in a couple seasons.

If the window is looking like its closing or Malkin is trending downward... something of that nature... do they trade him and try to start a rebuild around Crosby or do they just ride it out until the end.

Will be interesting to see how it goes down.

I watched this team blow ass before, so whatever happens, happens.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think the Pens will be faced with a tough decision when Malkin's deal is up in a couple seasons.

If the window is looking like its closing or Malkin is trending downward... something of that nature... do they trade him and try to start a rebuild around Crosby or do they just ride it out until the end.

Geno seems like he would take less to stay there and still help in some way, if the team can keep him and he ends up being our 3C while the Pens retool, cool. Obviously a lot less than his current cap hit, like even from 4.5-5m, I see Geno declining near the end of his contract, but not so drastically.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I hope to god they don’t trade him. Sid, Geno and Letang deserve to go down as only Penguins and it is what endears their legacy over Jagr here.

Reactions: enviSAGE and Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hope to god they don’t trade him. Sid, Geno and Letang deserve to go down as only Penguins and it is what endears their legacy over Jagr here.
Yeah I never want to see Crosby, Malkin, or Letang retire with another team. They should be Penguins for life. Same for Rust and Guentzel.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Geno seems like he would take less to stay there and still help in some way, if the team can keep him and he ends up being our 3C while the Pens retool, cool. Obviously a lot less than his current cap hit, like even from 4.5-5m, I see Geno declining near the end of his contract, but not so drastically.

I don’t think he will be a third pivot because even at 35 or 36 he will be a 65-70 point player I bet.

Just have to see where the team is in a few years and what direction they are going, but I think only Crosby is safe from being moved, of the big three.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don’t think he will be a third pivot because even at 35 or 36 he will be a 65-70 point player I bet.

Just have to see where the team is in a few years and what direction they are going, but I think only Crosby is safe from being moved, of the big three.
Oh yeah, I don't see Geno declining by much, that 3rd line thing was more so in case he stayed longer sort of thing, like Music Video Talent, Sergei Fedorov.

Pens need to somehow secure Geno's kid's NHL rights and Alex Letang's rights.

NEW WAVE, BOYS.

Once Sid finally gets laid, watch out, the old new gang will be back together again. In 15-19yrs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Why do people assume Malkin will be trending downward faster than Sid...rn he’s better than Sid...that may not last but it might and we might need to keep him and make Sid the third line center...you know what happens when you assume...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid will never play for another team unless he goes to the FO and asks for a trade down the road. Can't see him ever doing that since one of the things he idolized Stevie Y for was being a one team guy.

Geno's in the same boat, but I could see him wanting one last run at a Cup a la Marleau if things go south and this team is facing a long, awful road in a few years. He's super loyal and all, but I do think Geno values winning above all else. It's what has always driven the guy. I wouldn't hold it against him either, though I do hope he's a Penguin for life.

No idea about Letang though. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him hang 'em up in a few years if he gets another serious injury between now and then.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why do people assume Malkin will be trending downward faster than Sid...rn he’s better than Sid...that may not last but it might and we might need to keep him and make Sid the third line center...you know what happens when you assume...
I think both will trend downwards in identical ways. At 45yrs old, they'll finally be just pathetic 70pt players.

Reactions: Andy99

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

giphy.gif

Geno isnt even a top 100 player in the NHL. He cant be better than Sid. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I'm not assuming anything except that their contracts have completely different lengths. Crosby's deal takes him right to the twilight of his career and Malkin's deal runs out in two years.

Oh yeah, I don't see Geno declining by much, that 3rd line thing was more so in case he stayed longer sort of thing, like Music Video Talent, Sergei Fedorov.

Pens need to somehow secure Geno's kid's NHL rights and Alex Letang's rights.

NEW WAVE, BOYS.

Once Sid finally gets laid, watch out, the old new gang will be back together again. In 15-19yrs.

Probably have cyborgs playing then..

Speaking of sons, found out Randy Moss has a son eligible for the draft this year... thats messed up because I remember when he was a rookie...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Finally somebody understands, thank you. And I also get disagreeing with my opinion but to completely discount it or belittle stating it has no merit..... to me, that’s the true ignorance. I learn a lot from people I disagree with.

I hear you, man.

I disagree (civilly!) in that I want my team to win period. Doesn't matter the style.

However I get the argument that hockey of the 80s was just stylistically a lot more appealing. I think that also has to do with the raising of the floor of players; 3rd-4th line players and bottom-pairing guys are just at a far higher caliber than they were in those days. The game is much faster and system-driven today, too. Sullivan is apex modern-system in my book and I often hate how this team just chips, Murphy dumps and walls the puck all over the ice. But it wins more often than not.

That also means that skill-only guys are going to be a dying breed: Kessel, Galchenyuk, Sp... I don't know if I like it for the future of hockey stylistically, but I don't want my team to be the one dealing with them.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I applaud moves like that. I did at the time as well. Low risk high reward trades are exactly what we should do more of. Zucker was the opposite as was the Kahun trade.

Who wouldn't want to trade shitty round picks for players who were trending no-where with a college career of nothing.

Marino had zero cachet.

Expecting that sort of land is absurd. Zucker is logical. Kahun....had to be something between him and management that put the target on him.

How likely is it that you/we would be bitching about wasted picks if Marino was playing like shit in WBS?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Who wouldn't want to trade shitty round picks for players who were trending no-where with a college career of nothing.

Marino had zero cachet.

Expecting that sort of land is absurd. Zucker is logical. Kahun....had to be something between him and management that put the target on him.

Marino was beyond lucky.

My gosh... what are you so ornery about. I never said I "expected a crap pick to turn out to be an all star"

I stated low risk/high reward targets should be the norm for JR and the Pens. Marino was an example where the low risk paid off. I said the same thing regarding Yakupov... and people such as yourself flipped their lids not grasping that it was worth it via this metrix.

Yeeesh I dare you to counter that logic... but you won't.. you'll counter with a narrative that I never said.

lighten up

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
You know what’s worse, having 0.0% chance of landing a Pastrnak because your short term GM haphazardly gave away your picks.

And also 0.00 percent chance of relying on a pick that 20 times more likely to be Stuart Percy than David Pastrnak to win a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad