The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Really? How about a coach who ignores both analytics and the eye test to play a defensive pair that runs the team’s top line into the ground night after night, banging his head against the wall hoping to make it fit like an episode of Groundhog’s Day? Could we find a model for that?

I wasn’t disagreeing with the article. Sully has issues with 50 for whatever reason, but it appears it will all be academic as DUmo and Marino will be back soon (I guess the issue will be 3’s continuing presence in the lineup). It just got me thinking it would be fun if I were a lot younger and a grad student in applied stats or some related field to try to model and test fan/media recs.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I wasn’t disagreeing with the article. Sully has issues with 50 for whatever reason, but it appears it will all be academic as DUmo and Marino will be back soon (I guess the issue will be 3’s continuing presence in the lineup). It just got me thinking it would be fun if I were a lot younger and a grad student in applied stats or some related field to try to model and test fan/media recs.

Maybe someone could predict how many more wins we’d have too if the coach had played some other D pairings, or if we’d have Jake, Dumo and Marino for a full season...

I actually think we’ll have to endure JJ-Letang for another couple games at least...hopefully Dumo can return Tuesday or Thursday

Reactions: Al Smith

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's reaching a Bylsma and Despres level of WTF?

Nah, Bylsma was a confirmed idiot who didn’t like young players. Sullivan isn’t that and that makes it weirder. I don’t think Riikola is as amazing as some others but I’d rather see what he can do than f***ing JJ. The weirdest thing is sticking with JJ-Letang when it kills Letang, Crosby and Zucker and Marino has been out. You’d at least expect them to be cycling through LD to find something but Sullivan is committed to The Mistake. It’s not just crappy vet over okay kind of unknown younger player, but they’ve been committed to JJ there.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm honestly sick of talking about it and will just smile every goal against JJ is on the ice for.
This team will never win a Cup with him as a regular on this blueline.
Hell, they can't even win a PO game with him as a regular.
Maybe that stat changes this year...We'll see.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Nah, Bylsma was a confirmed idiot who didn’t like young players. Sullivan isn’t that and that makes it weirder. I don’t think Riikola is as amazing as some others but I’d rather see what he can do than f***ing JJ. The weirdest thing is sticking with JJ-Letang when it kills Letang, Crosby and Zucker and Marino has been out. You’d at least expect them to be cycling through LD to find something but Sullivan is committed to The Mistake. It’s not just crappy vet over okay kind of unknown younger player, but they’ve been committed to JJ there.

Sullivan has crapped on a lot of players, all the while shielding his pets... it may be worse than Bylsma.

I don't remember Bylsma actively sabotaging a player that Shero wanted. Maybe Iggy, but at least he played him

JR liked Sprong, nuked by Sully
JR gave up a ton for Reeves, Team loved him, nuked by Sully
JR liked the hell out Gally, nuked by Sully.... (this is where JR completely conceded to Sully...very sad)
JR loved Kahun, Nuked by Sully (injuries forced him to play Kahun)
Riikola/ SULLY

JR then proceeded to go all in with Sully.... that awful TDL... gave up way too much for Zucker...

Trust me, bookmark this post. 90% of the board will be with this line of thinking 12 months from now.

PS- Mario if you're reading, PM me and we'll talk about getting me added to the FO>

Reactions: ownal

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Sullivan has crapped on a lot of players, all the while shielding his pets... it may be worse than Bylsma.

I don't remember Bylsma actively sabotaging a player that Shero wanted. Maybe Iggy, but at least he played him

JR liked the hell out Gally, nuked by Sully.... (this is where JR completely conceded to Sully...very sad)
Riikola/ SULLY

JR then proceeded to go all in with Sully.... that awful TDL... gave up way too much for Zucker...

Trust me, bookmark this post. 90% of the board will be with this line of thinking 12 months from now.

PS- Mario if you're reading, PM me and we'll talk about getting me added to the FO>

it must be fun living in an alternate world completely revolved around ones biases

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
i liked warsofsky a few years back. hell try him over johnson.

wars should be up here over trotman tbh

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Riikola/ SULLY

This will be fun.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Riikola/ SULLY

I agree with Reaves. Whether you agreed with JR's direction at the time or not, Reaves was brought in for a very specific reason and Sully neutered him. It's a very obvious sign of GM and coach not being on the same page.

I also agree Sully neutered Kahun for some unknown reason, but I don't think there's much evidence that JR loved Kahun. That trade was all about dumping Maata's contract and getting back what he could.

Same with Chucky. That trade was all about getting rid or Kessel not JR liking Chucky. I mean, we know for sure it wasn't his first choice for trading Kessel.

Sprong? I don't know if JR liked him that much or not, but Sprong sucks. So it's clear to see why Sully didn't play him.

Riikola is as weird as Kahun. I don't know why Sully is repeatedly scratching him, but again, I don't think there's much evidence that JR loves Riikola. He signed him to a couple 1 year near league minimum deals.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm honestly sick of talking about it and will just smile every goal against JJ is on the ice for.
This team will never win a Cup with him as a regular on this blueline.
Hell, they can't even win a PO game with him as a regular.
Maybe that stat changes this year...We'll see.

I think they can power through a round with him but he’s exactly the kind of player who will get targeted in a series or his partner will because he can be ignored. Been there, saw the Pens do it to teams and have it done to them. The question is if the top 4 can eat enough minutes to mitigate it, or Sullivan can scratch him and suck up having to play Riikola.

It would be great if they’d get gifted another Marino and have a prospect step up.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I agree with Reaves. Whether you agreed with JR's direction at the time or not, Reaves was brought in for a very specific reason and Sully neutered him. It's a very obvious sign of GM and coach not being on the same page.

I also agree Sully neutered Kahun for some unknown reason, but I don't think there's much evidence that JR loved Kahun. That trade was all about dumping Maata's contract and getting back what he could.

Same with Chucky. That trade was all about getting rid or Kessel not JR liking Chucky. I mean, we know for sure it wasn't his first choice for trading Kessel.

Sprong? I don't know if JR liked him that much or not, but Sprong sucks. So it's clear to see why Sully didn't play him.

Riikola is as weird as Kahun. I don't know why Sully is repeatedly scratching him, but again, I don't think there's much evidence that JR loves Riikola. He signed him to a couple 1 year near league minimum deals.

Only thing I can offer are the words of JR... He spoke glowingly of Sprong, Reaves and Chucky; only at the end to change his tune on both Chucky and Sprong.

Sprong may or may not suck. TBD with the next 12 months with the Caps where I see them as a great fit for the kid. If he doesn't work there, then he won't work anywhere.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
it must be fun living in an alternate world completely revolved around ones biases

Typical HF response. Belittle or discount the person rather than addressing the opinion. IF you disagree, post why. Nope, insult., discount.. walk away smugly.

Get applauded by the mob.... cheering your lack of substance.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Only thing I can offer are the words of JR... He spoke glowingly of Sprong, Reaves and Chucky; only at the end to change his tune on both Chucky and Sprong.

Sprong may or may not suck. TBD with the next 12 months with the Caps where I see them as a great fit for the kid. If he doesn't work there, then he won't work anywhere.
He's not gonna dump on his own players. The Reaves one was totally short-sighted and Sully/JR definitely weren't on the same page. Whatever. But the Gally/Sprong shit should earn you a Netflix stand-up special it's so funny

edit: Also didn't JR say AFTER he traded Galchenyuk that he knew it was a strong possibility he wouldn't work here? That trade had absoluteloy 0 to do with acquiring Galchenyuk. It was probably the guy Chayka most wanted to send back and JR was like "sure, whatever, just take Phil"

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Reaves was on JR IMO. He overreacted to Wilson and went in a direction that changed the identity of the Pens and distracted them. The coach didn't agree with the move. Blame whichever of them you want, but the current roster is much closer to what won them two Cups vs whatever JR was doing with Reaves.

Kahun this is a bit strange to me to be honest as I thought he was good here minus injuries.

Chucky is on his 4th team and honestly was honestly sucked here.

Sprong sucks

Riikola is still developing and any coach would treat him this way based on his performance.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
8+6+58 = 72 (we’re good)

*he scored on this shot

Illuminati confirmed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Chucky got chances in the top 6 and sucked there for us. Sprong probably just plain sucks. He definitely sucked for us. And the ducks suck and didn't want him either.

Don't love trading kahun, but he was treated fine while he was here.

Reactions: PhilThrillPill

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
He's not gonna dump on his own players. The Reaves one was totally short-sighted and Sully/JR definitely weren't on the same page. Whatever. But the Gally/Sprong shit should earn you a Netflix stand-up special it's so funny

edit: Also didn't JR say AFTER he traded Galchenyuk that he knew it was a strong possibility he wouldn't work here? That trade had absoluteloy 0 to do with acquiring Galchenyuk. It was probably the guy Chayka most wanted to send back and JR was like "sure, whatever, just take Phil"

Talked to Wild fans last night who are happy with how Gally is looking. That Zucker trade will look a lot worse in the upcoming 12-18 months.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

By Caps do you mean the Hershey Bears?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Talked to Wild fans last night who are happy with how Gally is looking. That Zucker trade will look a lot worse in the upcoming 12-18 months.
Gally is probably better off out west with things slowed down. But he sucked here regardless of who he played with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad