The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
With Jake, yeah I buy it. Without Jake, you think so?

They are the best team if the other teams were missing a Jake, too.

Busted lineup Pens vs Full Strength Anyone?

....the playing field is a lot more level. I still think, RIGHT NOW, missing our key Dmen...they could give a playoff team a fight.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
yea. as long as we have #8/#6/#58 healthy.

that forward lineup is super deep. just need McCann back

8+6+58 = 72 (we’re good)

*he scored on this shot

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think we have the depth to cover for Jake's absence. Obviously we'll miss him and we'd be much better with him healthy, but it is what it is. The blueline and Jarry will decide how far we go this post season. If we're murdered by speed and aggression on the forecheck like we were against the Isles last spring because our blueline is woefully inept at handling that style, we're done anyway--Jake or not.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
just saw Crosby and letangs stats away from johnson...and my god. they're amazing. but with Johnson their metrics become NON NHLer levels bad

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
An article some of you will like, advocating the coaching staff play Riikola over Johnson...

Pittsburgh Penguins need to play Juuso Riikola on a regular basis

He brings a better game that is more conducive to how the Penguins want to play. His defensive skills are meh at best, we all get that, but his puck moving and skating is a big need for us right now. Our transition and ability to move the puck quickly up ice is struggling.

I would rather deal with Riikola's defensive lapses but get the benefit of his skating rather than deal with JJ lapses and not get the benefit of anything productive in terms of moving the puck north.

It's reaching a Bylsma and Despres level of WTF?

Until Dumo or Marino get back, I would run:

Petts-Letang
Riikola-Schultz
JJ-Rudwedel

Lean heavily on Petts-Letang. 25+/game. Shelter JJ-Rudy.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It would be interesting to run some models of a hypothetical coach who sets his lineup based on media/message board consensus.

I wouldn't have put Iginla on the LW with Malkin and Neal, I can tell you that. Wonder what the model would say...

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It would be interesting to run some models of a hypothetical coach who sets his lineup based on media/message board consensus.

Really? How about a coach who ignores both analytics and the eye test to play a defensive pair that runs the team’s top line into the ground night after night, banging his head against the wall hoping to make it fit like an episode of Groundhog’s Day? Could we find a model for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->