The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The best seasons of his career came in the east with Montreal. I think he’s just got a low hockey IQ and got into his own head.

That was before the Pens changed the game though. 15/16 was his best season and Montreal were pretty bad.

I think he’s a bad centre who needs to play wing in the right situation and as you said he has a low IQ so those situations don’t always last. That’s why such a skilled player is on his 4th club in the last 2 years.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
An article some of you will like, advocating the coaching staff play Riikola over Johnson...

Pittsburgh Penguins need to play Juuso Riikola on a regular basis

We put together better Riikola discussions here than that article.
Also, I don't need anyone to tell me what I already know from watching the penguins games.
Anyone who watches the penguins and has eyes and at least half a brain knows 50 should be getting a chance.

I imagine this team changing dramatically for the positive with the removal of 3 from 58. Whether it should be 50 with 58 I don't know, but what little we have seen of 50 and 58 together -- they compliment each other pretty nicely and MS should have noticed that and made it happen..... long ago.

MS dropping the ball on D pairings / starters and scratchers and will continue to.

Reactions: Andy99 and Victor Z

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Why is that? Zucker not being our best winger will improve this team immensely when Jake is back.

Overpayment. They could have waited until the offseason to get this deal done and I’ll bet it would have cost less.

Also, if they would have used Gally properly or traded him immediately last offseason, they would have gained a valuable asset.

I have been a big supporter of JR, but he has conceded the power to Sully....who isn’t reinventing anything. He was the right guy for 16/17, and he’s the wrong guy now.

what I am truly amazed by is how much confidence The fans, media and organization still have in him after that dumpster fire isles series. That roster was loaded, healthy and it went out without a fight.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Overpayment. They could have waited until the offseason to get this deal done and I’ll bet it would have cost less.

Also, if they would have used Gally properly or traded him immediately last offseason, they would have gained a valuable asset.

I have been a big supporter of JR, but he has conceded the power to Sully....who isn’t reinventing anything. He was the right guy for 16/17, and he’s the wrong guy now.

what I am truly amazed by is how much confidence The fans, media and organization still have in him after that dumpster fire isles series. That roster was loaded, healthy and it went out without a fight.

We paid a 1st and a relatively decent prospect for Zucker. That would be the acquisition cost for Zucker in the summer. Galchenyuk had no value as was reported multiple times.

I liked Chucky, but like Kahun be didn’t fit in the role he was brought in to fill. Why waste time catering to players that don’t fit? Rutherford and Sullivan’s job isn’t raising acquisition costs. It’s winning.

Reactions: Gallatin

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
We paid a 1st and a relatively decent prospect for Zucker. That would be the acquisition cost for Zucker in the summer. Galchenyuk had no value as was reported multiple times.

I liked Chucky, but like Kahun be didn’t fit in the role he was brought in to fill. Why waste time catering to players that don’t fit? Rutherford and Sullivan’s job isn’t raising acquisition costs. It’s winning.

I agree with the last part..... Coaches only care about the next game. But it is the GM who must protect the organizations assets. Everyone now claims that Gally was never a fit.................... THEN THEY SHOULD HAVE FLIPPED HIM OVER THE SUMMER. He had value then, we can debate what the value would have been, but it would have been something.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I agree with the last part..... Coaches only care about the next game. But it is the GM who must protect the organizations assets. Everyone now claims that Gally was never a fit.................... THEN THEY SHOULD HAVE FLIPPED HIM OVER THE SUMMER. He had value then, we can debate what the value would have been, but it would have been something.

Why would we flip a player that never played in the system? We needed a top six option. We tried Galchenyuk with both Sid and Geno. Just didn’t fit the style and got passed on the depth chart. Zucker does fit and has been producing since he came over in spite of our team not producing.

You’re Monday morning quarterbacking harrrrrd.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

It was worth a shot to see if he could click as he was skilled with a great shot. Injuries certainly lowered the odds on him working out. We didn’t have time to wait and see for a UFA on his coin so we moved on. That’s the way it goes sometimes.

Not really Sully or JR’s fault. They tried something reasonable and it didn’t work out. We managed to make something good out of it (Zucker). Not every situation that doesn’t work out has to have someone to be “blamed”.

The main part of the deal was really to move Phil’s difficult contract and that was achieved.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That was before the Pens changed the game though. 15/16 was his best season and Montreal were pretty bad.

I think he’s a bad centre who needs to play wing in the right situation and as you said he has a low IQ so those situations don’t always last. That’s why such a skilled player is on his 4th club in the last 2 years.

He didn’t drop off after 15-16.

Agreed with the second part.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Typical HF response. Belittle or discount the person rather than addressing the opinion. IF you disagree, post why. Nope, insult., discount.. walk away smugly.

Get applauded by the mob.... cheering your lack of substance.

blah blah, sully ruins everyone, blah blah.

Have a take that has substance and I will respond in kind.

Sound good.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Because they didn't know he wasn't a fit until he played. Everyone thought in the summer that he would fit with Malkin. Guess not. Oh well.

Keep in mind, Kessel was forcing a trade damn near. It's not like "Oh man...we totally could have gotten something better." Lol, we did try.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Because they didn't know he wasn't a fit until he played. Everyone thought in the summer that he would fit with Malkin. Guess not. Oh well.

Keep in mind, Kessel was forcing a trade damn near. It's not like "Oh man...we totally could have gotten something better." Lol, we did try.

Ok. But didn't they try him with Malkin for about 1.1 games? At that point.. SELL

Oh well, it is what it is. I don't care about not winning or competing for a cup this year (which they won't); I just want to know the GM has a PLAN to compete going forward; and stop being careless with assets.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Sullivan has crapped on a lot of players, all the while shielding his pets... it may be worse than Bylsma.

I don't remember Bylsma actively sabotaging a player that Shero wanted. Maybe Iggy, but at least he played him

JR liked Sprong, nuked by Sully
JR gave up a ton for Reeves, Team loved him, nuked by Sully
JR liked the hell out Gally, nuked by Sully.... (this is where JR completely conceded to Sully...very sad)
JR loved Kahun, Nuked by Sully (injuries forced him to play Kahun)
Riikola/ SULLY

JR then proceeded to go all in with Sully.... that awful TDL... gave up way too much for Zucker...

Trust me, bookmark this post. 90% of the board will be with this line of thinking 12 months from now.

PS- Mario if you're reading, PM me and we'll talk about getting me added to the FO>

You think 90% of this board will dislike 16 a year from now?
Or do you mean 90% of the board will think he's not worth his acquisition a year from now?

Eh, as I typed that, either one of those options are wrong. Zucker going be a solid player for Pittsburgh. Now and a year from now.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Ok. But didn't they try him with Malkin for about 1.1 games? At that point.. SELL

Oh well, it is what it is. I don't care about not winning or competing for a cup this year (which they won't); I just want to know are GM has a PLAN to compete going forward; and stop being careless with assets.

Why won't this team compete for a Cup this year?

And even if you believe this year is sunk, then the only thing you should care about is the next 2-3 years. Because that's when the window is officially closed and it's tank city

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

And even if you believe this year is sunk, then the only thing you should care about is the next 2-3 years. Because that's when the window is officially closed and it's tank city

Tanking isn't the only option. IF we are using the logic that it has worked so well in the past, SULLY should have been fired after last season's playoffs.... utilizing the same logic (we only win after firing a coaching change)..

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Why officially closed?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Why officially closed?

Because Sid and Geno will be about cooked then.
You can see it right now- those 2 aren't as fast as they were. They have occasional spurts of being able to create stuff on their own, but they'll become increasingly reliant on their wingers as time goes on.
That's why a guy like Jake is so helpful to Crosby. But finding another Jake is near impossible. JR did the smart thing by bringing in Zucker as a Jake-lite.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Tanking isn't the only option. IF we are using the logic that it has worked so well in the past, SULLY should have been fired after last season's playoffs.... utilizing the same logic (we only win after firing a coaching change)..

If you want another generational talent, yes tanking IS the only option (and smart maneuver for a team that has superstars retired)

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If you want another generational talent, yes tanking IS the only option (and smart maneuver for a team that has superstars retired)

I wouldn't bank my future on that happening. St. Louis won without one, Tarensenko is nice, not Generational. I also see the trend in the NHL moving away from that type of hockey (sadly) to more of a system game.
Look at the Bruins... they found their best player with a similar pick that we traded for Zucker. That's my model.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Plenty of great players aren't drafted top-5. The Isles lost a 1OA and are better for it. The Bruins never really tanked. Kucherov was a 2nd rounder. Jake, Marino, Dumo and Letang here...

Our timing was really great in getting Sid/Geno, but I think the majority of the time it won't work.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I wouldn't bank my future on that happening. St. Louis won without one, Tarensenko is nice, not Generational. I also see the trend in the NHL moving away from that type of hockey (sadly) to more of a system game.
Look at the Bruins... they found their best player with a similar pick that we traded for Zucker. That's my model.

I often don't agree with you, Kev, but I'm 100% with you now.

I also think what you're saying reflects something else you said recently (tell me if I'm getting this wrong): that you have a preference for a certain type of talent-first player that you want to root for but is progressively lower-value in today's NHL. I also think that jives with your dislike of Sully - his system is usually effective, but man the Pens play fugly hockey sometimes especially on breakouts and entries.

I like Sully and think his system works/wins but for a certain type of hockey aesthete it wouldn't resonate.

Tell me if I got this totally wrong.

Reactions: Coastal Kev
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad