The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
For what it's worth, I was never opposed to trading the 1st or Addison. I've just watched Zucker in a Pens uniform for 8 games and am totally indifferent to what I've seen. Extremely weak on the boards and not overwhelmingly skilled which he was billed as. 60-70th percentile skill. Nice wheels though and pretty good hands. Average top-6 winger; in the conversation for our 3rd best after Jake and Rust.

A couple caveats where I could change my view.

Caveat 1: He is playing in front of JJ and JJ is destroying this team.
Caveat 2: He is playing with Sid who isn't playing well (for Sid)
Caveat 3: He is overly deferring to Sid instead of playing his own game, thinking his job is just to finish Sid's setups.

The guy who was mega-talented, somehow languishing in Minnesota but the perfect-puzzle-piece fit? Haven't seen it. Maybe we will. Let's hope.

He is on pace for 60+ points and 40 goals.

Not sure what the f*** you were expecting to be honest..

Reactions: LittleSpoon

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Zucker-Malkin-Rust is going to demolish the league for at least the next 2 years after this year. Not exactly sure why anyone would complain about the acquisition. Zucker's going to be hitting 30 goals consistently with the Penguins going forward.

If you can get another Rust type of player that Crosby likes playing with (or just get another Rust and bump the current Rust to Crosby's line), your top-6 is going to be absurdly good.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pens this year were looking good with Jake having the kind of impact that drive a top line. Him out simply killed the dynamic of his fit as a great finisher. Zucker is a good LW and the cost was reasonable. Now moving a couple players and hoping we see continued development in POJ and Marino and Petts will determine the D for the next couple of years. For me, this is next years pairing if all falls into place:
Letang Dumo
Marino Petts
Pysyk POJ
Pens better have one heckofa S&C coach to add needed weight, size and strength to Petts and POJ and Marino for that matter. Add 10 pounds each and they can handle the NHL grind. Pysyk UFA replace JJ physical play and Pens get back a pick for JJ at the draft.

Not sure Pysyk will go back to defense. He’s having an excellent season at L4 RW.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
TB - Crosby - Zucker
Tanev - Malkin - Rust
Mar - McCann - Horny
Simon - Bjgustad - ERod

I almost would try this.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He is on pace for 60+ points and 40 goals.

Not sure what the f*** you were expecting to be honest..

You addressed this after his best game and not before. Check the timestamps bro.

He played really well yesterday and cashed in. I was very impressed.

The "pacing" thing is tiresome. Over the last 5 games the Penguins are pacing for 0 points this year.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Before yesterday he was on pace for 30 goals and 50 pts.

Yep.

And I didn't like his game very much. He played much better yesterday, especially away from Crosby. Credit to him.

So you're saying 30 goals, 60 points minimum over his first 82 games as a Pen? I'd take the under but I want the guy to succeed so I'll root with you.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yep.

And I didn't like his game very much. He played much better yesterday, especially away from Crosby. Credit to him.

So you're saying 30 goals, 60 points minimum over his first 82 games as a Pen? I'd take the under but I want the guy to succeed so I'll root with you.

Zucker has historically been a 20-30 goal guy in the 47-50 pt range.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
no, you’re right...I don’t think he’ll be back to his true form until next season....that’s why I didn’t like giving up a productive player in Kahun for two less productive players..

Pretty sure Giroux had that really bad season following core surgery and didn't look "right" until the following year, where he had his 100 point season.

That's why I think people getting on Sid for his play really need to have some perspective about how much should be expected from someone following that kind of procedure.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Pretty sure Giroux had that really bad season following core surgery and didn't look "right" until the following year, where he had his 100 point season.

That's why I think people getting on Sid for his play really need to have some perspective about how much should be expected from someone following that kind of procedure.

Then so should the team: make Geno the 1C and load him up with Zucker & Rust. Sid's can be a two-way second line with Sheary and Hornqvist. Or Tanev. If he complains about Horny or Tanev, punch him in the core for good measure.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Reactions: ChaosAgent

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
2 things that should be done tonight are plugging Riiko(duh) and Lafferty back in.

I'd change up G's line as well.

Zucker-Sid-Sheary
Marleau-G-Rust
Tanev-Blueger-Horny
Simon-McCann-Lafferty

Never happen but:

Riiko-Letang
MP-JS
JJ-Ruh

would be my D.
If you can't help yourself throwing JJ-Letang over the boards in defensive situations, fine, but everything else Riiko-Letang is my duo to see if it makes a difference.

Reactions: Darren McCord

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Before Sid’s injury 2 Oct - 9 Nov
Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

During Sid’s injury 10 Nov - 13 Jan
Dumo injured Nov 30
Jake Dec 31

After Sid’s return Jan 14 - now
Marino injured Feb 8
Zucker first game Feb 11

Obviously multiple factors but it’s been bad since Sid returned.

'Nother knock on Sully here but he went through 2 lengthy stints with:

McCann-Sid-Simon

Which was a brutal, brutal trio.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
'Nother knock on Sully here but he went through 2 lengthy stints with:

McCann-Sid-Simon

Which was a brutal, brutal trio.

Sure but who were the healthy wingers through some of that? Rust, Hornqvist, Simon, McCann, Lafferty, Angello

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
What are the stats when Geno was injured?

Not sure. You’d have to check his game logs on hockey reference and see when he missed and plug the dates into natural stat trick.

I don’t want to do that :laugh:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I solemnly swear to never try to talk myself into believing that Sid is a Selke-caliber guy ever again.

Looking back at it, it really makes us come across as Homerific. I think last year I compared him to Datsyuk; that's cringe.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I solemnly swear to never try to talk myself into believing that Sid is a Selke-caliber guy ever again.

Looking back at it, it really makes us come across as Homerific. I think last year I compared him to Datsyuk; that's cringe.

He was amazing last season. He was really good until the injury as well this season (he had the injury before he sat too)

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
2 things that should be done tonight are plugging Riiko(duh) and Lafferty back in.

I'd change up G's line as well.

Zucker-Sid-Sheary
Marleau-G-Rust
Tanev-Blueger-Horny
Simon-McCann-Lafferty

Never happen but:

Riiko-Letang
MP-JS
JJ-Ruh

would be my D.
If you can't help yourself throwing JJ-Letang over the boards in defensive situations, fine, but everything else Riiko-Letang is my duo to see if it makes a difference.

This would be mine line up 100 percent but sullivan will sullivan.
We will probably get something stupid like Zucker being demoted and sid put with sheary and simon

Sheary-Sid-Simon
Rust-G-Horny
Zucker-Blueger-Erod
Marleau-McCann-Horny

JJ-Letang
MP-JS
Trotman-Ruh

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He was amazing last season. He was really good until the injury as well this season (he had the injury before he sat too)

At his best, he's good defensively and there's a novelty factor in saying "wow, that Sidney Crosby guy with the 1.4 career PPG can really play defense too!" In reality though he isn't in a guy like Bergeron's league defensively and he has been below-average on that end of the rink since returning. It doesn't help that his line concedes odd-man rushes constantly, making centering passes with all 3 line members below the goal-line.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
At his best, he's good defensively and there's a novelty factor in saying "wow, that Sidney Crosby guy with the 1.4 career PPG can really play defense too!" In reality though he isn't in a guy like Bergeron's league defensively and he has been below-average on that end of the rink since returning. It doesn't help that his line concedes odd-man rushes constantly, making centering passes with all 3 line members below the goal-line.
You can throw all the advanced stats in the world at me, but you'll never convince me that Simon or Sheary are good defensively. And 1 player can absolutely sink a line defensively in this league.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad