Pre-Game Talk: The All-Purpose Mike Sullivan Thread - ALL COMMENTS AND COMPLAINTS HERE

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Are you joking me? People on this website need to get a grip.

The Penguins are 3-1-1 in their last 5 games with Pettersson, get some ****ing perspective. If the Penguins stars would have actually showed up over those 5 games, they would be 5-0 over those 5 games. I swear, this website has some of the most over-reactionary Penguins fans I've ever seen.

Sarcasm. Some need to learn it.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Are you joking me? People on this website need to get a grip.

The Penguins are 3-1-1 in their last 5 games with Pettersson, get some ****ing perspective. If the Penguins stars would have actually showed up over those 5 games, they would be 5-0 over those 5 games. I swear, this website has some of the most over-reactionary Penguins fans I've ever seen.
Should we let Sullivan continue to crap the bed for 5 years after we won the cup like we did with Bylsma?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Guess they don't play the right way either.

well.gif

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Nothing really earth breaking there... he has his own thoughts on the matter, and voiced a suggestion. But he doesn't really hint at anything concrete or suggest that this is anything other than his own thoughts.
It's more the "distraction" element that I'm wondering about rather than there being any real fire there. You know how things tend to take on a life of their own in this town.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mentioned in a GDT not long ago that I'd bet real money that if Sullivan had his druthers Geno and Phil would be gone. Guess I should have made that bet.

I can’t agree with this.

But, obviously there could be a disconnect with Sully’s style and Geno and Phil.

I’d also argue Geno and Phil need to clean their shit up if they want to act like the coaching is the reason they’re pouting and sucking all over the ice.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I can’t agree with this.

But, obviously there could be a disconnect with Sully’s style and Geno and Phil.

I’d also argue Geno and Phil need to clean their **** up if they want to act like the coaching is the reason they’re pouting and sucking all over the ice.
Oddly, your first comment was that if it's true to fire him ... I assumed you mean Sullivan. Now I'm not so sure :laugh:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Kessel 100% would be gone. Malkin no idea...
I've never gotten the impression that Sullivan likes him. Sullivan talks about Geno the same way that he (HCMS) talks about the other players he (HCMS) doesn't like. But, as I said in the same GDT, it's not like I'm in the room or have any inside info.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Oddly, your first comment was that if it's true to fire him ... I assumed you mean Sullivan. Now I'm not so sure :laugh:

I just don’t see how Kessel has a career year and Malkin has his best year in six years under a coach that “doesn’t like them”.

Honestly, if they’re turning on him because he expects them to play some semblance of a 200 ft game they need to look in the mirror because that is what won them back to backs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There are solid reasons to fire Sullivan outside of this supposed problem, so this issue wouldn’t change anything in my mind if true but just provide a further reason...

Reactions: EightyOne and KIRK

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I just don’t see how Kessel has a career year and Malkin has his best year in six years under a coach that “doesn’t like them”.

Honestly, if they’re turning on him because he expects them to play some semblance of a 200 ft game they need to look in the mirror because that is what won them back to backs.
Geno is more than capable of playing a 200 foot game. So is Kessel. Maybe they're just tired of his shit.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If it’s true, fire him.
LOL.....

FDSSjdt.gif

Oh man, I hate to say I told you so...I wasn't a fan of his beefing with Cole and I figured if he was going to do that, then the thing with the kid who we shall not name outside of that thread, then Geno looking the way he did and the crap about Kessel...

Just FAR too many incidents for it to just be some lame rumors.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've never gotten the impression that Sullivan likes him. Sullivan talks about Geno the same way that he (HCMS) talks about the other players he (HCMS) doesn't like. But, as I said in the same GDT, it's not like I'm in the room or have any inside info.

Sullivan and Kessel “tolerate” each other. Malkin and Sullivan I’ve never heard a thing.

Sullivan once told Malkin to “shut the f*** up” on the bench right? Maybe Malkin’s still mad.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Geno is more than capable of playing a 200 foot game. So is Kessel. Maybe they're just tired of his ****.

Kessel either had two of our best defensive forwards tied to him or was getting some kushy zone starts.

My point is what exactly does a new coach come in and make these guys do?

Malkin and Kessel are supposed to be leaders here. If they can’t deal with a coach telling them to play the game the right way figure it out.

They should honestly respect Sully for what he did with this franchise. 2016 was a “right place / right time”. 2017 was a coaching clinic.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Anyone that (lol) pays for DK's crap, give us more on that article or is there a place we can find the whole article outside of that abomination of a site?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
It started with Cole and then went to Sprong. He’s been beating on Phil for a while. Sully’s ego after winning two cups has moved him from motivator and teacher to tyrant and do as I say.

Like Bylsma previously, Sully is blinded by his success and believes the team needs to get to their game and play his system. He’s being too stubborn with modifying his strategy based on Schultz being injured, defensemen not skilled enough to play as aggressive as he wants, and other players that don’t fit his demands from the forwards.

Letang normally plays with Crosby on the ice while Geno and Kessel are dealing with the shit show of Maatta and others who are in over their head in this system.

Lots of frustration to go around. Sully’s stubbornness is what led to everyone’s favorite 4th liner getting traded.

The more the Pens lose the worse Sully is going to become. He doesn’t think he’s the issue or that he needs to modify his system.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It started with Cole and then went to Sprong. He’s been beating on Phil for a while. Sully’s ego after winning two cups has moved him from motivator and teacher to tyrant and do as I say.

Like Bylsma previously, Sully is blinded by his success and believes the team needs to get to their game and play his system. He’s being too stubborn with modifying his strategy based on Schultz being injured, defensemen not skilled enough to play as aggressive as he wants, and other players that don’t fit his demands from the forwards.

Letang normally plays with Crosby on the ice while Geno and Kessel are dealing with the **** show of Maatta and others who are in over their head in this system.

Lots of frustration to go around. Sully’s stubbornness is what led to everyone’s favorite 4th liner getting traded.

The more the Pens lose the worse Sully is going to become. He doesn’t think he’s the issue or that he needs to modify his system.

He was the apprentice of Torts, he's now become the master.

Meanwhile, Torts freaking mellowed all of a sudden this year.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Sullivan and Kessel “tolerate” each other. Malkin and Sullivan I’ve never heard a thing.

Sullivan once told Malkin to “shut the **** up” on the bench right? Maybe Malkin’s still mad.
IDK. I don't know those guys personally. I will say that I quit watching Sullivan interviews a long time because he always came off as a smug, arrogant bastard and it annoyed me to watch him. If he's that sort of a guy IRL it's not hard to see why they'd have had enough of him.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad