Pre-Game Talk: The All-Purpose Mike Sullivan Thread - ALL COMMENTS AND COMPLAINTS HERE

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yet Sullivan is being raked through the coals despite overseeing this team win back-to-back championships in his first two seasons. Yes, there are issues with Sullivan. However, I don't see a coach out there (right now) who could spark the drastic turnaround that people want to see.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
2) Ok, but when you're used to coaching a roster to play a certain way and the GM suddenly decides to give you a roster unsuited for that style, it's a little puzzling.

3) Yes Daniel Sprong, he of practically zero regular season experience and even less playoff experience would have been the difference in a playoff series against the eventual Stanley Cup champs. I sincerely doubt that. He hasn't even proven he can play effectively in the regular season yet let alone playoff hockey when the stakes are highest.

4) What others? The only other actual notable WBS prospect who Sullivan has not managed well is Sprong.
2)true...very puzzling.
3)all we needed was 2 goals in the right place. a healthy kid high on adrenalin or injured players that should not be playing. the kid might not have worked, but playing guy's that were hurt sure didn't.
4)see riiky

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
2)true...very puzzling.
3)all we needed was 2 goals in the right place. a healthy kid high on adrenalin or injured players that should not be playing. the kid might not have worked, but playing guy's that were hurt sure didn't.
4)see riiky

The funniest thing is the handling of Riikola and people here are still complaining he gives players a fair shot all the time, always, always!!!

Sprong had a lot of jump in his first game with the Ducks, then he had 2 meh games with them, but the difference was that Carlyle kept putting him in positions to succeed to allow him to develop or rather, flame the fires on that offensive skill of his. He didn't cut his minutes to 8mins a game, he still played 15+ with the Ducks so far in various top 9 positions.

He even had the f***ing balls to play him while tied in his 1st game, then again for the shootout to help win the game. Imagine that, giving a kid with offensive skill, chances to play in an offensive role and let him play through his shit.

Riikola, holy f***, this is probably a bigger moronic move than the Sprong stuff with Sullivan. He continues to play guys that play terrible through their stuff but will never give Riikola a shot to do the same, and the funny thing is he hasn't even been as terrible as some of the other guys. In this situation, you hope Riikola plays very well as his cap hit is so dirt cheap that if he really does play very well, he pushes out a bigger contract and gives JR more to work with at the deadline.

Now I wait for someone to completely misunderstand my post and complaint and mention how much rope Sprong got (he didn't) and how Riikola has to earn it (he has, more than some of the other turds that continue to get a shot over him).

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The funniest thing is the handling of Riikola and people here are still complaining he gives players a fair shot all the time, always, always!!!

Sprong had a lot of jump in his first game with the Ducks, then he had 2 meh games with them, but the difference was that Carlyle kept putting him in positions to succeed to allow him to develop or rather, flame the fires on that offensive skill of his. He didn't cut his minutes to 8mins a game, he still played 15+ with the Ducks so far in various top 9 positions.

He even had the ****ing balls to play him while tied in his 1st game, then again for the shootout to help win the game. Imagine that, giving a kid with offensive skill, chances to play in an offensive role and let him play through his ****.

Riikola, holy ****, this is probably a bigger moronic move than the Sprong stuff with Sullivan. He continues to play guys that play terrible through their stuff but will never give Riikola a shot to do the same, and he funny thing is he hasn't even been as terrible as some of the other guys. In this situation, you hope Riikola plays very well as his cap hit is so dirt cheap that if he really does play very well, he pushes out a bigger contract and gives JR more to work with at the deadline.

Now I wait for someone to completely misunderstand my post and complaint and mention how much rope Sprong got (he didn't) and how Riikola has to earn it (he has, more than some of the other turds that continue to get a shot over him).
much better than I could of said....ty :)

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He even had the ****ing balls to play him while tied in his 1st game, then again for the shootout to help win the game. Imagine that, giving a kid with offensive skill, chances to play in an offensive role and let him play through his ****.

Riikola, holy ****, this is probably a bigger moronic move than the Sprong stuff with Sullivan. He continues to play guys that play terrible through their stuff but will never give Riikola a shot to do the same, and he funny thing is he hasn't even been as terrible as some of the other guys. In this situation, you hope Riikola plays very well as his cap hit is so dirt cheap that if he really does play very well, he pushes out a bigger contract and gives JR more to work with at the deadline.

I assume they are giving Oleksiak more rope because of his contract. Let’s wait until Riikola isn’t playing towards the end of the season before we make any judgements.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I assume they are giving Oleksiak more rope because of his contract. Let’s wait until Riikola isn’t playing towards the end of the season before we make any judgements.

The issue is that Riikola has been sitting for long long stretches. He's not in the AHL and I'm not 100% sure if he has an out clause if he is demoted to the AHL or if there is some waiver issue (shouldn't be?), but the guy is literally just sitting there, watching a team where a coaching staff is letting guys play through their troubles and yet, here he is...sitting. Not getting that same opportunity.

Wait until the end of the year? Lol.

Reactions: EightyOne

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Riikola, holy ****, this is probably a bigger moronic move than the Sprong stuff with Sullivan. He continues to play guys that play terrible through their stuff but will never give Riikola a shot to do the same, and the funny thing is he hasn't even been as terrible as some of the other guys. In this situation, you hope Riikola plays very well as his cap hit is so dirt cheap that if he really does play very well, he pushes out a bigger contract and gives JR more to work with at the deadline.

The even stranger thing is the only games Maatta's looked halfway decent was when he and Riikola were a pairing.

I still say move Oleksiak up to wing on the 4th line (or hell, 3rd line if they want some offense next to Brassard), then go with Letang/Dumoulin, Maatta/Riikola, Pettersson/Johnson on defense.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The even stranger thing is the only games Maatta's looked halfway decent was when he and Riikola were a pairing.

I still say move Oleksiak up to wing on the 4th line (or hell, 3rd line if they want some offense next to Brassard), then go with Letang/Dumoulin, Maatta/Riikola, Pettersson/Johnson on defense.

Maatta has at times, played like hot garbage, so has Johnson and Oleksiak. Out of the 29 games we've played so far, Oleksiak has dressed for 27, Maatta for 28, and Johnson for all 29.

This team doesn't really understand letting players play through their rough spots, as well as scratching players to send a message to hold them accountable. In JJ's case, new team, maybe some learning bumps, he's being baby sat by Pettersson now and needed to play through his crap. Maatta should have sat for a few games, he was played through his crap and didn't turn the corner for a while, Oleksiak as well.

Oleksiak and Maatta should have sat for a few games by now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The issue is that Riikola has been sitting for long long stretches. He's not in the AHL and I'm not 100% sure if he has an out clause if he is demoted to the AHL or if there is some waiver issue (shouldn't be?), but the guy is literally just sitting there, watching a team where a coaching staff is letting guys play through their troubles and yet, here he is...sitting. Not getting that same opportunity.

Wait until the end of the year? Lol.

He can be sent down. Him sitting honestly isn’t that huge of a deal and should’ve been expected. He played ten days ago.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What is it that is going on right now?
Just an asinine use of the roster.

"We don't want to use the 3rd line like a traditional energy checking line...we aren't going to call it that."

"Yeah..yeah we're going to use the bottom 6 in that checking/energy line sort of way and keep all of our scoring talent in the top 6 in a game of keep-away..."

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I don't have any problems with Sully himself, he's been a fantastic coach, it just seems that coaches have a lifespan after which the team just doesn't respond the same any more. What we're missing is the attitude and dedication and identity that can come with a new coach rather than some x's and o's issue.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't have any problems with Sully himself, he's been a fantastic coach, it just seems that coaches have a lifespan after which the team just doesn't respond the same any more. What we're missing is the attitude and dedication and identity that can come with a new coach rather than some x's and o's issue.

It’s true that coaches just don’t last long, but it’s equally true that coaching changes don’t always (if often) help create a positive change. Pittsburgh has been an anomaly.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
I don't know what to say about "justify Sullivan". I don't think he himself has been bad enough to warrant firing.

If the Penguins fire Sullivan, I would think they promote one of Martin or Donatelli. I could be wrong and they go and hire Quenneville, but I don't know how many people would want a job with the Penguins if you get fired for the possibility of missing the playoffs. If the Penguins miss this year, and it really looks like they will miss next year, then yeah I could see them doing it.

I don't know how he would handle the loss of his dad, but it is also why I put it last.

If you fancy yourself a good coach, that shouldn't scare you, because this is a roster that should, barring a loss of the big guys at once, never miss the playoffs. Unlike most teams, this is a roster that a coach almost has to actively work to make miss the playoffs.

Quenneville, Vignault, or anyone else not taking the job is not doing so because "they might get fired if they miss the playoffs." To a man they would agree a coach who misses the playoffs with this roster should be fired.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
At least Tomlin has been taking the heat off Mikey Bylsma 2.0 over the last couple of weeks in Pittsburgh.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
This team has hit Bylsma/Johnston era of bad, granted that there are still holes in the lineup, but I think what's needed right now is a new coach.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
If you fancy yourself a good coach, that shouldn't scare you, because this is a roster that should, barring a loss of the big guys at once, never miss the playoffs. Unlike most teams, this is a roster that a coach almost has to actively work to make miss the playoffs.

Quenneville, Vignault, or anyone else not taking the job is not doing so because "they might get fired if they miss the playoffs." To a man they would agree a coach who misses the playoffs with this roster should be fired.

If the Penguins fired Mike Sullivan today, this organization would barely be above league average in the Crosby era in terms of coach firings.

But for some reason, people on here think that firing Sully. equates to coaches never wanting to work here, because the stakes are too high.

I'd think that guys like Quenneville would like their chances with the high-end guys of this roster. Quenneville's a competitive guy. He knows where he stand all-time, and he knows Hitchcock is coming on strong with that Oilers team.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
We traded Sprong and the team still sucks. Who is the next scapegoat before GMJR and Sully face the music for both of them doing a ****ty job this season?

Did anybody expect them to be better by picking up a #5? Picking up Pettersson is step 1 in a large project of fixing this roster. Scratching Riikola for Hal Bergeron is a mistake but he’s not quite the difference either.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If the Penguins fired Mike Sullivan today, this organization would barely be above league average in the Crosby era in terms of coach firings.

But for some reason, people on here think that firing Sully. equates to coaches never wanting to work here, because the stakes are too high.

I'd think that guys like Quenneville would like their chances with the high-end guys of this roster. Quenneville's a competitive guy. He knows where he stand all-time, and he knows Hitchcock is coming on strong with that Oilers team.

Above league average - also the most successful team since Crosby showed up. This team hasn’t been middling for a decade.

Also, what about this roster is failing because Sullivan? Do you believe that Maatta and Oleksiak would somehow thrive in a different environment? Did Sullivan unshackle Rust tonight after holding him back all year? Nobody on the team looks to have quit. They are routinely out-possessing teams. What do you want? It’s like your side is in denial about how multifaceted this problem is. I have to wonder in what universe this team is getting better simply by firing the coach. The worst parts of this team are the defense and goaltending and Sully has precious little to do with either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We traded Sprong and the team still sucks. Who is the next scapegoat before GMJR and Sully face the music for both of them doing a ****ty job this season?

Are you joking me? People on this website need to get a grip.

The Penguins are 3-1-1 in their last 5 games with Pettersson, get some ****ing perspective. If the Penguins stars would have actually showed up over those 5 games, they would be 5-0 over those 5 games. I swear, this website has some of the most over-reactionary Penguins fans I've ever seen.

Reactions: edog37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad