Wennberg points estimate for 2019-20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
If Duchene re-signs, there's no point in keeping Wennberg. He's already seeing little ice time as is, another season of that and we'll need to bundle picks/prospects to get rid of his contract. I think he can flourish in a different environment but not here anymore.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
They'll both have their share of suitors. I'm not persuaded yet that Dzingel should get a big money long term deal. Not that he wouldn't help next year. But long run I'm thinking it would seem more prudent to get a stopgap at LW and look for one of Bemstrom and his ilk to step up.

So now you want to keep him? I think at that cap hit, there's other considerations beyond the trade return. Wennberg needs to be in a situation to succeed, or it's a huge waste of money. The contract is movable now but might not be a year from now.

Or a player taking too many bumps on the head? This sort of decline at that age is unusual, I'm not blaming either Jarmo or Torts for it.

Also I don't recall Jarmo saying anything like "Wennberg will be a #1C" - I recall him saying there's ice time to be competed over, and Wennberg, Nash, and Dubois all could contribute. Pretty boring stuff.
He said in his press conference prior to the season that Wennberg would challenge Dubois for the #1 C duties . It’s not that I’m now wanting to keep him , but I just don’t see them moving him for a weak return , which is most likely what we are looking at . Maybe I’m wrong , wouldn’t be the first time

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
If Duchene re-signs, there's no point in keeping Wennberg. He's already seeing little ice time as is, another season of that and we'll need to bundle picks/prospects to get rid of his contract. I think he can flourish in a different environment but not here anymore.

Couldn't by chance, the "different environment " be here? I guess ya never know. I too think under different tutelage he's a much better player.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone know what it looks like if we buy out Wennbergs contract ?

Why on earth would anyone do that?

1. At minimum, he's a good 3rd line defensive player and PKer. Yes, he's overpaid for that role, but that can still be useful.

2. He has trade value. We might have to eat money, but I guarantee someone would take this reclamation project.

3. There is untapped offensive potential in there. At maximum he can be a 2nd line player. If he can get to that level, the contract is fair.

You hate Torts' style and coaching, yet are quick to throw Wennberg down when he's the exact example of a player who could succeed away from Torts.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
On the subject of Wennberg, and as his biggest detractor, he does have value in a position where he is allowed to focus on defense such as on the third or fourth line. It is not his fault that Jarmo was dumb enough to pay him as if he was a gifted offensive player based upon one half of one season. $4.5 million for s fourth line center seems extravagant. But overpaying for minimal offensive production seems to be one of Jarmo’s calling cards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I know there's an age difference. But if the Ducks offered Henrique for Wennberg. Would you guys consider it?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
28hcrd4.jpg

just wenny causally walkin his dog with his girlfriend here at my golf course. haha. super nice couple. talked for a good while. I know i've been a big critic of his game on here but he's a good guy! also, beautiful day to play some golf!

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In 75 games, Wennberg had 2 goals. In 6 games, rookie Texier has 3.

Give Wennberg away or buy him out at 1/3rd. He's not anywhere near worth a $5 million cap AAV and buying him out creates less than a $1 million hit over each of the next 8 years. In cash, Wennberg stands to make $5.3 million in each of the next 4 years. I don't think he can be given away nor-due to the 1/3rd buyout-is salary retention a viable option. Buy. The. Pooh. Out.

Alexander Wennberg Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Alexander Wennberg Buyout Details

Cost Calculations

BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2019$21,400,000$048241/3$7,133,333$14,266,667$891,667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONBASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITACTUAL COSTSAVINGSFINAL CAP HIT
2019-20$5,350,000$4,900,000$891,667$4,458,333$441,667
2020-21$5,350,000$4,900,000$891,667$4,458,333$441,667
2021-22$5,350,000$4,900,000$891,667$4,458,333$441,667
2022-23$5,350,000$4,900,000$891,667$4,458,333$441,667
2023-24$0$0$891,667-$891,667$891,667
2024-25$0$0$891,667-$891,667$891,667
2025-26$0$0$891,667-$891,667$891,667
2026-27$0$0$891,667-$891,667$891,667
TOTAL$21,400,000$19,600,000$7,133,333$14,266,667$5,333,333
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If we can't trade him for something buyout seems reasonable alternative. In 8 years the hit will be less than 1% of the cap assuming 3% growth in cap. Not to mention saving $14 million.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’d sure like to see us find a team that thinks they could resurrect his career and trade for a late round pick. On the other hand the buyout seems to be the better alternative as He’s vastly overpaid for current performance. And a buy out is much preferred over trading a bad contract for another bad contract.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I’d sure like to see us find a team that thinks they could resurrect his career and trade for a late round pick. On the other hand the buyout seems to be the better alternative as He’s vastly overpaid for current performance. And a buy out is much preferred over trading a bad contract for another bad contract.
I'm sure a gm would give Columbus future consideration for him. Even here lots of people still see something in him they can't be the only one.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'm sure a gm would give Columbus future consideration for him. Even here lots of people still see something in him they can't be the only one.
Maybe. But they may decide a cheaper route is to sign him after a buyout.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
This place is weird. Wennberg has value on the market as a resurrect target. It's not like he's 30, he's 24. He's far from a finished developed product. Yes, his contract isn't good for his current production, but someone in the league will take that chance on him, especially if they have cap space OR a player who also needs a change of scenery with a big ticket as well. Jackets may have to eat some of the cap hit, but I think the Jackets can get a decent return on Wennberg if we need to move him.*

* We only need to move him if we sign Duchene or get another center in the offseason if he walks. If not, Wennberg will be in our top 6 again next year.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
This place is weird. Wennberg has value on the market as a resurrect target. It's not like he's 30, he's 24. He's far from a finished developed product. Yes, his contract isn't good for his current production, but someone in the league will take that chance on him, especially if they have cap space OR a player who also needs a change of scenery with a big ticket as well. Jackets may have to eat some of the cap hit, but I think the Jackets can get a decent return on Wennberg if we need to move him.*

* We only need to move him if we sign Duchene or get another center in the offseason if he walks. If not, Wennberg will be in our top 6 again next year.
If Wennberg is a top 6 player, we will be a bubble team for the playoffs and maybe on the wrong end of it considering your scenario is a team sans Bread, Duchene and Bob. Not impossible but.....it would also be a sign Jarmo is asleep at the switch which I don’t see. He’s a better GM than that.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
This is how I know that there's been too much downtime between playoff games - the anti-player crusades resume.
What’s anti player about having honest dialogue about a player who’s underperforming ? Torts came to that conclusion as witness his late season benching for an unproven youngster. Just askin’. ’

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Unless Wennberg flips the switch, he's not going to be in our top six again.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If Wennberg is a top 6 player, we will be a bubble team for the playoffs and maybe on the wrong end of it considering your scenario is a team sans Bread, Duchene and Bob. Not impossible but.....it would also be a sign Jarmo is asleep at the switch which I don’t see. He’s a better GM than that.

There aren’t any top 6 centers in UFA (likely to hit the market) aside from Duchene and Hayes. Can’t force a signing if there’s nothing there.

As far as trades, were already lacking picks and probably shouldn’t be trading prospects for a bit. So we’d be kind of stuck.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Unless Wennberg flips the switch, he's not going to be in our top six again.

So under my scenario where duchene walks and they can’t replace him, who would go to 2C? Jenner? I don’t think so. Foligno? Maybe. But I don’t think that’s ideal either.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What’s anti player about having honest dialogue about a player who’s underperforming ? Torts came to that conclusion as witness his late season benching for an unproven youngster. Just askin’.
That the discussion is coming up again unprompted in the first place.

EDIT: On further reflection, that's not really an accurate way to put it, but I'm having trouble coming up with explaining why it bothers me. I guess a large part of it is that there's discussions about that sort of thing already going on on the trade mains (that, for the record, I'm a part of). It's pretty much a given at this point that Wennberg isn't fitting in here. So one has to wonder what the point is of a "no, really, he's bad and he has to go" type post. The situation's known. Why preach to the choir? In particular, why do so with a tone so aggressive, absolutist, and dogmatic that folks are more than likely compelled to reflexively disagree? Especially during a period when we should still be on Cloud 9 because of the sweep?

I can't really pin it down any further than that. It just feels... excessive and unnecessarily dwelling on the negative, I guess. :dunno: Hell, that doesn't really communicate it well either. I guess it's like, he's not being played right now, so he's not affecting the roster; why are we worrying about that problem now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad