The All Encompassing This Team is Broken / Trade Everyone / Fire Everyone Thread

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I came to post something snarky, but the title of this thread kind of says it all and sums it right up. This team is broken beyond imagination. I was so excited this season with the roster they had coming in. Who knew this would happen.

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
I think that Sid and Geno got another 2-3 good years left before it’s time to consider going with a rebuild again. I don’t think they can waste the rest of this season and next hoping Sullivan can turn things around and or that the team finds its identity again.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Fire goaltending

If they’re hire Q ok. It’s fishy how Sullivan became a bad coach when Matt Murray turns into a pumpkin, but that’s life I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trade and Dovahkiin

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
giphy.gif

Can we hire coach Q?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Fire goaltending

If they’re hire Q ok. It’s fishy how Sullivan became a bad coach when Matt Murray turns into a pumpkin, but that’s life I guess.
I was laughing earlier when people were saying how much we miss Daley and at the same time pining for Q. I wouldn't cry about that move or anything but all coaches have their quirks, grass isn't always greener and all that.

It would be funny to see people's reactions it they just promoted the WBS coach or Recchi/Martin.

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I was laughing earlier when people were saying how much we miss Daley and at the same time pining for Q. I wouldn't cry about that move or anything but all coaches have their quirks, grass isn't always greener and all that.

It would be funny to see people's reactions it they just promoted the WBS coach or Recchi/Martin.

Go ask Chicago fans about their opinion on Q’s roster management the last three years. No fan likes their coach because coaches see the game through humans they know, and the ones that don’t are generally huge assholes and don’t last long anyway. I also can’t believe the people who want to go back to conservative hockey after the Penguins forced the league to be entertaining again.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Here is a little something to think about I posted in a thread that relates to former Penguins defensemen Ian Cole. Some might want to start checking your current defense numbers. Rutherford might want to check what and where he has been spending his money.

Cole led all Avs players in ice through regulation Sunday night clocking in at 24:16 prior to the Avs winning in OT. Below are some really interesting facts since Cole departed from the sad Blues.
Below are some mind numbing numbers that should make you question your current thinking of what a valuable defensemen really is.

Cole leads all defensemen in games played since his trade date of March 1 2015 ( regular season and playoffs ) from that core group of defensive stalwarts played over him during his tenure as a Blue. Pretty amazing stat since he could not crack what was once thought of deep defensive unit. Stats taken from Sunday 11/18/2018 AM

Cole 317 games
Petro 304 games
Shattenkirk 263 games
Blowmeester 256 games
Gunnarson 248 games
Bortuzzo 183 games
Jackman 110 games
Michalek 94 games
Linbohm 25 games
Butler 18 games

Not known for his offensive game and ridiculed by Hitch for not having a transition game Cole has outscored during that period all but Peto and Shatty.

Petro 47 goals 133 assists 180 pts
Shatty 36 goals 85 assists 121 pts
Cole 13 goals 77 assists 90 pts
Blow 6 goals 44 assists 50 pts
Gunnarson 8 goals 19 assists 27 pts
Michalek 4 goals 7 assists 11 pts
Jackman 2 goals 5 assists 7 pts
Butler 2 goals 2 assists 4 pts
Linbohm 0 goals 0 assists 0 pts

Staggering plus minus numbers and I haven't even reached into Cole's defensive numbers but I will soon.

Plus minus
Cole +50
Gunnar +26
Borts +19
Petro +18
Jackman +17
Shatty ( 33 )
Blow ( 8 )

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Since the Buffalo postgame talk thread is already closed - I'll post it here:

When I watch Malkin handling the puck, especially around the offensive blue line, the phrase that most often visits me is: "What is this idiot doing?!?!?!"

Maybe I'm repeating myself, but I can't fathom how one can be so immensely talented and so (hockey-)stupid at the same time.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Here is a little something to think about I posted in a thread that relates to former Penguins defensemen Ian Cole. Some might want to start checking your current defense numbers. Rutherford might want to check what and where he has been spending his money.

Cole led all Avs players in ice through regulation Sunday night clocking in at 24:16 prior to the Avs winning in OT. Below are some really interesting facts since Cole departed from the sad Blues.
Below are some mind numbing numbers that should make you question your current thinking of what a valuable defensemen really is.

Cole leads all defensemen in games played since his trade date of March 1 2015 ( regular season and playoffs ) from that core group of defensive stalwarts played over him during his tenure as a Blue. Pretty amazing stat since he could not crack what was once thought of deep defensive unit. Stats taken from Sunday 11/18/2018 AM

Cole 317 games
Petro 304 games
Shattenkirk 263 games
Blowmeester 256 games
Gunnarson 248 games
Bortuzzo 183 games
Jackman 110 games
Michalek 94 games
Linbohm 25 games
Butler 18 games

Not known for his offensive game and ridiculed by Hitch for not having a transition game Cole has outscored during that period all but Peto and Shatty.

Staggering plus minus numbers and I haven't even reached into Cole's defensive numbers but I will soon.

Plus minus
Cole +50
Gunnar +26
Borts +19
Petro +18
Jackman +17
Shatty ( 33 )
Blow ( 8 )

The main concerning thing to me with Sullivan was the personal battles that transpired after Tocchet left. Cole was liked by everyone else.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
What do you think is the main reason for our slow start?

Injuries, goal-tending, or something else?

Laziness.
Lack of motivation.
Disproportional sense of entitlement.
Gigantic blown up egos.

(*all of the above - on the part of players)

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Something I was thinking about, if there is another coaching change would you go so far as to call the players coach killers?

If it happens, 3 different coaches will have coached them in the last 3 years. 4 coaches in 5 years if you include Bylsma. In Sully's 3 playoffs, 2 Stanley Cups and a loss to the Stanley Cup champs. It's a very strange situation.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Something I was thinking about, if there is another coaching change would you go so far as to call the players coach killers?

If it happens, 3 different coaches will have coached them in the last 3 years. 4 coaches in 5 years if you include Bylsma. In Sully's 3 playoffs, 2 Stanley Cups and a loss to the Stanley Cup champs. It's a very strange situation.

If this team gets a coach who’s won 2 of the last 3 Cups fired just about everybody will suggest that. This doesn’t look like a team that’s quit though, this looks like a team that sucks.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
The main concerning thing to me with Sullivan was the personal battles that transpired after Tocchet left. Cole was liked by everyone else.
I never heard anything bad about him as a team member in St. Louis. I just think he must have taken the last jelly doughnut from Hitch at some buffet. He was better than advertised by the Blues and the media. I was sorry to see him leave the Pens too. Could not understand why Maata, Dumo, Schwartz all got nice contracts but left Cole out.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

The core has fired Olcyk, Therrien, Bylsma, Johnston...

Same MO...everyone suddenly forgets hockey...

Reactions: Angrrus

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The core has fired Olcyk, Therrien, Bylsma, Johnston...

Same MO...everyone suddenly forgets hockey...

Olcyk was horrible and unqualified, Therrien is an asshole who belittles people and was way too conservative, Bylsma could not adapt, Johnston was all of the above except asshole. Sullivan has been hyper successful and his ability to adapt on the fly was very impressive in 16 and 17. He might be an asshole to some, but almost certainly not in the MT vein.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I think we see a big move TODAY. I don't see JR Being happy with the last loss and I feel as though he's getting to his breaking point very very quickly. This team needs a shakeup bad before the season is lost. It's still salvageable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Cole 317 games
Petro 304 games
Shattenkirk 263 games
Blowmeester 256 games
Gunnarson 248 games
Bortuzzo 183 games
Jackman 110 games
Michalek 94 games
Linbohm 25 games
Butler 18 games

Plus minus
Cole +50
Gunnar +26
Borts +19
Petro +18
Jackman +17
Shatty ( 33 )
Blow ( 8 )

Most of us liked Cole.

Our coach liked to be a child about handling the situation and here we are today.

Disconnect between Rutherford and Sullivan. These two are at odds so the Pens suffer. Fire both for being JOs and not team first.

I would lean more towards Sullivan taking the brunt of this blame. He has not evolved or adjusted his system during the 1-7-2 stretch of 10 games.

JR didn't exactly hand him a horrendous roster either. There are some questionable guys, but overall, that roster shouldn't be dead last in the East.

JR should have reigned in Sullivan with the Cole situation.
JR should have never let Sprong play past 9 games in 2016, this is why we are in the mess we are in with him, he should be in WBS, still developing. Now the GM's eagerness and the Coach's stubbornness is doing in a kid that should be in the AHL learning more.
JR maybe should have looked at a better option than Johnson (I like Moore for what he brings, less of a cap hit too).
Sullivan hasn't evolved his system, teams were starting to catch on and catch up during that 2017 cup win, Sid & Geno willed us to that one, otherwise we would have been f***ed.
Sullivan also has some Torts like tendencies with handling players, Cole is a big one, people knowing him not liking Sprong is another, etc.

The blame is not as even as we like. Sid being out should not be this drastic to this team, we still have Kessel, Malkin, Brassard (back now), Horny, etc. This team is not that shallow with talent.

JR can keep trading dressing room favs and glue guys to really shake that roster up, but all its going to do is make things even worse when the issue is his coach, where even he has a disconnect with. This team needs a veteran coach right now, more than ever. Someone that commands respect and has enough skin in this game to know what to change up and when.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad