The All Encompassing This Team is Broken / Trade Everyone / Fire Everyone Thread

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm confused by your math. Sullivan has been here since December 2015. So, almost 3 years. Johnston was here a little over a year. Regardless, who cares? How many coaches did Mario go through? I think the way Morehouse left Bylsma hanging was poorly done, but we wound up with Johnston because the other coaches that were available already had destinations in mind. It's not like we really missed out, either.

Johnson was coaching the beginning of the 2015 season until mid Dec or so, so coach #1
Sully came in and coached to the present, coach #2
His replacement would be coach #3 in the last 36 months, or 3 years.

As far as "who cares," obviously I'm interested in people's thoughts/potential causes if I posted it. We couldn't discuss the game and this is certainly the thread for my question, so... ?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yet another senseless tragedy!
deep down... I was thinking...

tenor.png

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
We have a multitude of issues. Where shall we start?

Murray is either still reeling from concussion issues or he’s lost his confidence. Having your stud goaltender look like Fleury in the 2012 Flyers /Pens playoffs series all season is a recipe for disaster.

The defense looks awful. I put this one on the coaching staff. Sully’s ultra aggressive system keeping pucks in the offensive and neutral zone constantly puts us in positions for odd man breaks. He needs to get more conservative with how his defensemen play or only let the horses with the legs go to do that style of play.

The forwards look terrible on even strength play. They are missing the soul and legs of fearless young players that have inspired their stars to hustle their asses off in the past. This is an issue of both Sully and JR. The one player on the roster that fits the bill whose legs, youth, skill, and enthusiasm could inspire the forwards is Sprong and treating him with kids gloves for fear out of losing still has us losing games and looking like shit. GMJR should realize this team needs some young legs with fearless unthusiasm and skill sprinkled in this lineup. We haven’t made any callups or trades to address this issue. There is a lot of complacency on this team. The young pups that were hungry and inspired the veterans a few years ago have disappeared.

That’s just a few things...

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I’m not as doom and gloom as you guys.

Forwards showed some spark against the Sabres. Only negative is they should have run up the score well behind 4-1.

Their D...
They really need to define a top 4 and give #5&6 sheltered minutes. Ideally with Schultz this would be easy but we can’t wait that long.

G...
Thus is a tough one, and really our weakness at D exasperates the situation. Probably need to run with Murray and sink or swim with him.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Pens only lost 12 games this season! Unfortunately we are only 19 games into the season.

castaway.jpeg

Reactions: EightyOne

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
Took a gander at the standings for the first time during this dumpster fire, they are 29th in the league. This is their worst start to this point since the 2003 season. I know they have the talent to turn this around but they are digging themselves a massive hole.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
How lame is your own franchise that you gotta trawl HFPens for content, broadstreethockey.com?

Also: Jeff Hakstol

And

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
From a French article
En attendant Joel Quenneville - TVA Sports

“Joel Quenneville wants to take his time. He made his debut behind the bench in 1994 with the Nordiques de Québec while he was Marc Crawford's assistant. Two years later, he was head coach of the St. Louis Blues and since then he has never had a break.

The Oilers and Blues say they have acting coaches right now and it's the same for the Kings. My impression is that the only team that could get him out of his current leave would be the Pittsburgh Penguins. But Mike Sullivan does not have to worry, he has won the Stanley Cup twice in his last three seasons. Unless...”

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The defense is the primary problem. The Schultz injury is what broke the team, but the foundation was weak to begin with.

While yes, we had a mishmash of castoffs at d when we won our cups, the common denominator was players who could break it out of our zone. Letang, Schultz, and Daley were all exceptional at it. But then we lost Daley and failed to replace his skill set. Schultz is out long term. Letang is the only one left who can break out anymore. So we spend a lot of time in our zone, or we bounce out pucks that our forwards can't do anything with and it turns into a nothing play.

And that doesn't even address the individual glaring problems with all of our healthy d save two.

And that's before we get into the Bylsma 2.0 coaching, the impotent depth scoring, or Matt Murray animorphing into a block of swiss cheese.

While you're not wrong, I can't fully explain away our current issues with that. 2016, Letang and Daley were both solid PMD, but Schultz was in and out of the lineup and playing limited minutes on the 3rd pair. He didn't play a whole lot until Daley got hurt. 2017, Letang was down the whole playoffs so we only had Schultz and Daley. There were never more than 2 of them at a time.

This year we did lose Schultz, but we have Letang playing at peak form again. Jack Johnson is also a solid puck mover that should fill that #2 PMD spot for breakouts. Couple that with Dumo taking steps forward since then and we shouldn't be much worse off.

Maatta needs to be better. We've seen him do it in the past but he's in a funk like the rest of the team. Oleksiak is what he is and I am happy with his game. Ruhwedel likewise is what he is, fine as a #7 or even a #6. Riikola looked awful good early on but can't stay in the lineup.

The D could stand to improve, but I don't think it's a night and day difference from the 16 or 17 cup runs. Certainly not bottom of the eastern conference different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad