The All Encompassing This Team is Broken / Trade Everyone / Fire Everyone Thread

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Took a gander at the standings for the first time during this dumpster fire, they are 29th in the league. This is their worst start to this point since the 2003 season. I know they have the talent to turn this around but they are digging themselves a massive hole.

Yeah given the personnel then v now, this is really shocking.
Like...nuts.

What do we read into CP coming back? Mario picking up the phone and saying Help??

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
As for Murray, could be concussions, or his Dad....but one thing I always sensed about him was he loved the “underdog” role, I.e. when he was MAF’s backup and not seen as the #1 guy. He seemed to have that real sorta chip-on-shoulder drive.
I wonder if him displacing MAF once and for all, and owning the net, has taken away some part of the driving force. Just wondering.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As for Murray, could be concussions, or his Dad....but one thing I always sensed about him was he loved the “underdog” role, I.e. when he was MAF’s backup and not seen as the #1 guy. He seemed to have that real sorta chip-on-shoulder drive.
I wonder if him displacing MAF once and for all, and owning the net, has taken away some part of the driving force. Just wondering.

I think that's what Sully is trying to regain by starting CDS over him...by making him the "backup," I think he's hoping to restart that drive...

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I think once he got the starting job he got exposed.

You can be a good backup goalie for 20-25 games a year, but all of a sudden when the backup gets the starters job sometimes they aren't as good anymore.

Its like in baseball when you have a good bench player that plays well, when you start to play him everyday he isn't as good.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

You can be a good backup goalie for 20-25 games a year, but all of a sudden when the backup gets the starters job sometimes they aren't as good anymore.

Its like in baseball when you have a good bench player that plays well, when you start to play him everyday he isn't as good.

He played the same amount of games in 17 as he did in 18. He just has played terribly since then.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
He played the same amount of games in 17 as he did in 18. He just has played terribly since then.

Yep. Don’t think this is about league getting familiarity. He’s been much worse.

He just seems different. I hope it isn’t concussions, just something mental he can work on and overcome and get his juju back.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I forget where I heard this but someone had said that Murray and his long time gf (since high school?) broke up. I would imagine that’s not easy to deal with having just lost your father the previous year.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I forget where I heard this but someone had said that Murray and his long time gf (since high school?) broke up. I would imagine that’s not easy to deal with having just lost your father the previous year.
She found it too easy to beat him high glove.

I kid i kid. Rough if true.

Reactions: KIRK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

He played the entire 2016 playoffs. Most backups don't have that kind of run in the playoffs. Maybe surprise one or two teams, but not all four. And then he did it again versus Ottawa and Nashville the following year.

He also played the "starter" role in the 2017 regular season and had very good numbers. If it were a case of a backup being exposed, then his 2016 success should have ended in 2017, not two years later.

I'd say it's more about injuries and the effect his dad passing had on him. Injuries have hampered his ability to get into any sort of groove or keep working on the stuff he needs to improve, and his dad passing probably sapped some of his emotional strength that he was known for.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
He played the entire 2016 playoffs. Most backups don't have that kind of run in the playoffs. Maybe surprise one or two teams, but not all four. And then he did it again versus Ottawa and Nashville the following year.

He also played the "starter" role in the 2017 regular season and had very good numbers. If it were a case of a backup being exposed, then his 2016 success should have ended in 2017, not two years later.

I'd say it's more about injuries and the effect his dad passing had on him. Injuries have hampered his ability to get into any sort of groove or keep working on the stuff he needs to improve, and his dad passing probably sapped some of his emotional strength that he was known for.

He played 95 games his first 2 seasons if you include playoffs.

The more you play the more teams finds your weakness.

I don't want to try to downgrade the impact of losing a parent, but his dad passed away last January.

Murray's struggles started before then, so i have a hard time seeing that as a reason for his poor play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't want to try to downgrade the impact of losing a parent, but his dad passed away last January.

Murray's struggles started before then, so i have a hard time seeing that as a reason for his poor play.

Is there some sort of expiration date for how long the loss of a parent should affect you before you should suck it up and move on? I know when my dad passed away, I wasn't "right" for close on 2 full years. And I was a lot older than Murray when mine died, so I was better able to deal with it.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

That would be a bummer. She was pretty hawt too from what I remember.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Is there some sort of expiration date for how long the loss of a parent should affect you before you should suck it up and move on? I know when my dad passed away, I wasn't "right" for close on 2 full years. And I was a lot older than Murray when mine died, so I was better able to deal with it.

Hits everyone differently. No first hand experience, but I've seen second hand anything from the minute the services are out of the way to ... never ending emotional despair.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I don't think you read my post correctly.

Murray's struggles started BEFORE his dad passed away.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

In those 95 games no one figured him out but the subsequent 10 they did? He’s not playing the same way.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Coincidence that Sullivan has looked like an idiot since Tocchet left, and that he seemed like a genius with RT here...?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That would be acceptable if he was 15 years old.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
And a partridge in a pear tree?

On the twelfth day of Christmas GMJR gave to me:

Twelve new speedy skaters
Eleven extra draft picks
Ten more years of Geno
Nine Kessel noodle sticks
Eight family game packs
Seven deadline trades
Six Iceburghs dancing
Five good defensemen
Four Sid the Kids