The All Encompassing Tank/Rebuild/Tankers GDT Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
To be perfectly honest I don't think it's rigged, though I would feel a lot more comfortable if they got a major accounting firm to handle the lottery aspect of it.

ah yes, the old

"don't even think of questioning this, it's handled by folks with a great rep"

you mean like standard $ poors , moodies ,that kind of trust our rep folks?

the ones that rated all those credit default swaps?

that almost brought down the entire world financial system?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
To be perfectly honest I don't think it's rigged, though I would feel a lot more comfortable if they got a major accounting firm to handle the lottery aspect of it.

They do. I can't confirm who does it now, but in the past it was PricewaterhouseCoopers (who also handles OLG lotteries)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For those fans that screamed the loudest "Fire Carlyle" is this what they expected from a coaching change to lose 10 of the next 11 games?. Curious if people still believe Carlyle was the #1 problem with this team?

If Carlyle were still here we likely would have won perhaps 5 or 6 of these games playing his system instead of the current one, still falling out a playoff spot eventually but with a lower draft pick.

For the future this has been a positive move to replace the coach when they did as its improving the draft position with each passing game. So short term pain for long term gain the way to best view the rest of this season.

Cappayne

Mar 20, 2011
I moved to England on New Years for work and I was upset that I wouldn't be able to watch Leafs games anymore. So happy that the tank is in full force early this year so I'm not missing anything. I will wake up and look at the score from last night and hope that it's a loss. So far most of my days here have started on a positive note!

Unrelated, from reading comments here Reilly seems to be playing exceptionally amidst the tank. Really excited to hear about this - can someone explain what he's doing to get all of this praise? Game highlights don't show anything and I don't see a recent player discussion thread for him. Cheers.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I moved to England on New Years for work and I was upset that I wouldn't be able to watch Leafs games anymore. So happy that the tank is in full force early this year so I'm not missing anything. I will wake up and look at the score from last night and hope that it's a loss. So far most of my days here have started on a positive note!

Unrelated, from reading comments here Reilly seems to be playing exceptionally amidst the tank. Really excited to hear about this - can someone explain what he's doing to get all of this praise? Game highlights don't show anything and I don't see a recent player discussion thread for him. Cheers.
He's getting more minutes, many more actually, and he's really starting to use his legs to create chances. It's the Rielly we thought we were getting when we drafted him. You aren't gonna see it on highlight packs because the team just isn't scoring. He's the lone bright spot at the moment.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
It's funny to see so many here finally come around and realizing the huge mistakes this franchise made 5 years ago.

I was laughed at when I said the Kessel trade would set this team back at least 5 years (probably longer). People didn't like the idea of doing a true rebuild as they were only "a few players away" - even though I said it was the only way to go.

How we have many embracing the tank... and wanting to get rid of Kessel to help rebuild.

Just think how much further ahead this team would've been if they made the right (and obvious) choice back then.

This team has no chance of being a true contender until at least 2020 - and that's if most things work in their favor and they have a little luck. But realistically, 2023 is more probable if things go their way.

I told ya so.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Here's his shift from OT against the Devils:

He's had similar flashes of brilliance in all of the last three or four games, while maintaining a balanced all-around game.

More on-topic, does anyone else find it depressing that we just had the second worst month in franchise history and yet are still only 7th in the draft rankings?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
It's funny to see so many here finally come around and realizing the huge mistakes this franchise made 5 years ago.

I was laughed at when I said the Kessel trade would set this team back at least 5 years (probably longer). People didn't like the idea of doing a true rebuild as they were only "a few players away" - even though I said it was the only way to go.

How we have many embracing the tank... and wanting to get rid of Kessel to help rebuild.

Just think how much further ahead this team would've been if they made the right (and obvious) choice back then.

This team has no chance of being a true contender until at least 2020 - and that's if most things work in their favor and they have a little luck. But realistically, 2023 is more probable if things go their way.

I told ya so.

I am with you on that one. I had a poll as to who thought it was a good idea to see years past the results and it got shut down and deleted a year later when there was like 1,000 votes on it :laugh:

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
I saw something that was very very scary for the tanker hopefuls in the Philly game......

did anyone see that clip of Shanahan? He was at the edge of his seat hoping for leaf goals, and being disappointed after misses. It was video taped.

This tells me he too is an idiot. He's hoping they score...to win....to get a worse draft position? Does he not understand the cylce of mediocrity for the past 9 years? Does he not understand that being being 12 points back of a playoff spot in the era of 3 point games makes it impossible to make the playoffs? Does he not understand that his team has 25 losses and teams that have 30+ losses over the last 9 years probably have a 1% chance of making the playoffs? I can only recall of a few teams that have.

He doesn't have a clear vision of what's going on or what. What the heck is this mess? How can 70-80% of the fans sit back and accept the losing (for the greater purpose of finally drafting really high), but the President of the Club be as oblivious as a 10 year old boy just hoping for a win?

I just asked a million questions, but seeing that guy's reaction last night had me worried.

It's funny, most people seem to love Kadri and Rielly out of everyone. Well, both are the only 2 guys the leafs drafted themselves in the top 7 of the draft.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
There's a caveat to getting McDavid here, and that's the fact that if the Leafs know they have the number 1 pick there is no way in hell they trade Kessel or Phaneuf at the draft, not when they know they're getting a guy who everyone expects will be in the league right away.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
There's a caveat to getting McDavid here, and that's the fact that if the Leafs know they have the number 1 pick there is no way in hell they trade Kessel or Phaneuf at the draft, not when they know they're getting a guy who everyone expects will be in the league right away.

I still think they would. Poison is poison and the last thing you want to do is give a young phenom a taste of what a dressing room of entitlement and lack of work ethic and leadership if you want him to reach his full potential.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I saw something that was very very scary for the tanker hopefuls in the Philly game......

did anyone see that clip of Shanahan? He was at the edge of his seat hoping for leaf goals, and being disappointed after misses. It was video taped.

This tells me he too is an idiot. He's hoping they score...to win....to get a worse draft position? Does he not understand the cylce of mediocrity for the past 9 years?

I guarantee you with 1,000,000% accuracy that Shanahan is hoping and cheering for his team to win as he should.

This team spends to the cap ceiling and the goal from the start was to make the playoffs. This was not a team assembled like Buffalo to finish near the bottom on talent.

Shanny didn't fire the coach in hopes it would send the team into a downwards spiral.

If MLSE saw Shanahan cheering against his own team in the pressbox he would be fired immediately.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

This tells me he too is an idiot. He's hoping they score...to win....to get a worse draft position? Does he not understand the cylce of mediocrity for the past 9 years? Does he not understand that being being 12 points back of a playoff spot in the era of 3 point games makes it impossible to make the playoffs? Does he not understand that his team has 25 losses and teams that have 30+ losses over the last 9 years probably have a 1% chance of making the playoffs? I can only recall of a few teams that have.

He doesn't have a clear vision of what's going on or what. What the heck is this mess? How can 70-80% of the fans sit back and accept the losing (for the greater purpose of finally drafting really high), but the President of the Club be as oblivious as a 10 year old boy just hoping for a win?

I just asked a million questions, but seeing that guy's reaction last night had me worried.

It's funny, most people seem to love Kadri and Rielly out of everyone. Well, both are the only 2 guys the leafs drafted themselves in the top 7 of the draft.

or he wants his team to perform well? to show some get up and go? to have passion?

what the heck did you want him to do, fist pump after every missed chance?

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
I still think they would. Poison is poison and the last thing you want to do is give a young phenom a taste of what a dressing room of entitlement and lack of work ethic and leadership if you want him to reach his full potential.

I don't think there's any way. If it was a guy like Strome they drafted and they weren't sure he'd be ready in 1-2 years, then yeah I could easily see them going the full rebuild route. But if it's McDavid the desire to put Kessel with him is going to be way too great. MAYBE they deal Phaneuf, but Kessel? With the opportunity to form a real first line? No chance in hell.

Leafspoison*

Am I the only one who logs in here about 20 times a day in hopes of coming in to read the headlines "Nonis fired with Link"?

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
They do. I can't confirm who does it now, but in the past it was PricewaterhouseCoopers (who also handles OLG lotteries)

So it is rigged?! :sarcasm:

For those fans that screamed the loudest "Fire Carlyle" is this what they expected from a coaching change to lose 10 of the next 11 games?. Curious if people still believe Carlyle was the #1 problem with this team?

If Carlyle were still here we likely would have won perhaps 5 or 6 of these games playing his system instead of the current one, still falling out a playoff spot eventually but with a lower draft pick.

For the future this has been a positive move to replace the coach when they did as its improving the draft position with each passing game. So short term pain for long term gain the way to best view the rest of this season.

I'll admit I was onboard for firing Carlyle but I also said the players were to blame because the coach doesn't lace up the skates. The players are to blame and no one can argue that. If Shanahan and Nonis don't do something about it then we can write this franchise off and bring in an expansion team in Hamilton.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'll admit I was onboard for firing Carlyle but I also said the players were to blame because the coach doesn't lace up the skates. The players are to blame and no one can argue that. If Shanahan and Nonis don't do something about it then we can write this franchise off and bring in an expansion team in Hamilton.

The Leafs changed the depth players and the coach and the system and the team continues to struggle.

I think we can with a great amount of certainty state its the players that haven't changed and have been a part of many of these previous collapses that have the biggest impact on the team struggles.

Fine tuning around the edges can no longer be the plan moving forward.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The Leafs changed the depth players and the coach and the system and the team continues to struggle.

I think we can with a great amount of certainty state its the players that haven't changed and have been a part of many of these previous collapses that have the biggest impact on the team struggles.

Fine tuning around the edges can no longer be the plan moving forward.

They've actually regressed with this core. They aren't getting any better. Hopefully next game we are looking at Kessel's new team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The draft lottery has changed enough that the 9th worst team has 5% chance of winning, up from 2.7%.

This has the makings of a crapshoot. I can see the worst team not winning the lottery, and just about any team inside 9 winning it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The draft lottery has changed enough that the 9th worst team has 5% chance of winning, up from 2.7%.

This has the makings of a crapshoot. I can see the worst team not winning the lottery, and just about any team inside 9 winning it.

We finish bottom 9 we have a great shot.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I have to log in here for that because my work phone isn't allowed third party apps. I can use it for any other reason but no apps.
They have SMS notifications as well. Did they lock down SMS too? There's also email notifications on Sportsnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad