The All Encompassing Tank/Rebuild/Tankers GDT Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think it's 14P4, so 24024 combinations.

Right. Makes sense lol. It's a lottery so the order does matter making it a permutation. I always got confused between combinations/permutations.

8.5% of 24024...That's nothing :(. We would have to be really lucky. It's still a million times better than lotto games.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the NHL, the odds of winning the first overall selection in the 2015 NHL Draft for the 14 non-Playoff teams will be adjusted to more appropriately reflect the current state of competitive balance in the League. This will result in a more evenly-balanced allocation of odds, with the 10 highest-finishing non-Playoff qualifying teams receiving higher (better) Draft Lottery odds than they received previously and the four lowest-finishing teams receiving lower (worse) odds. The revised set of odds will remain in effect year-to-year in the future.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795

2015 NHL Draft Lottery

New Draft Lottery Odds

1. 20.0%

2. 13.5%

3. 11.5%

4. 9.5%

5. 8.5%

6. 7.5%

7. 6.5%

8. 6.0%

9. 5.0%

10. 3.5%

11. 3.0%

12. 2.5%

13. 2.0%

14. 1.0%

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Right. Makes sense lol. It's a lottery so the order does matter making it a permutation. I always got confused between combinations/permutations.

8.5% of 24024...That's nothing :(. We would have to be really lucky. It's still a million times better than lotto games.

The amount of options doesn't matter when it's a percentage :laugh:

It's not like 8.5% of 200 is better. Or that 8.5% of 1 billion is worse.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
LOL, hey man, if all of Bettman's cronies are on our management team, maybe a certain lottery ball will fall our way this year...eh Bettman, eh??? :naughty:

Think about it..

In the eyes of Bettman, Toronto is a mature / saturated / ripe market already...whether they win or lose.

Better to give playoff spots and primo prospects to expansion / non-traditional / American markets.

Small cost to pay for maintaining territorial dominance over Southern Ontario, knowing full well that the Golden Horseshoe alone could support another 2 franchises.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Think about it..

In the eyes of Bettman, Toronto is a mature / saturated / ripe market already...whether they win or lose.

Better to give playoff spots and primo prospects to expansion / non-traditional / American markets.

Small cost to pay for maintaining territorial dominance over Southern Ontario, knowing full well that the Golden Horseshoe alone could support another 2 franchises.

Let's not forget about revenue sharing. The more money the Leafs make, the more money the league, players and smaller teams make.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Let's not forget about revenue sharing. The more money the Leafs make, the more money the league, players and smaller teams make.

Players and U.S. viewership make more a difference than the Leafs' CAD, at the end of the day.

Money is immaterial when trying to shove a product like hockey down the throats of Americans.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Players and U.S. viewership make more a difference than the Leafs' CAD, at the end of the day.

Money is immaterial when trying to shove a product like hockey down the throats of Americans.

Yes, one American team getting a better player benefits THAT team, but increasing the revenue of a major team that fails to make the playoffs consistently helps the league, and consequently, multiple smaller market teams.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'm curious now with all the "What would be better for the league" talk... Do people actually think the NHL lottery is rigged? I find it hard to believe as there is likely people watching the lottery take place or at least video evidence. I just find it hard to believe the NHL lottery is rigged and no past NHL executives have mentioned anything or any rumours have gone.

Yeah, it was pretty perfect that the Penguins got Crosby, but they were one of the teams with the best chance too. If only that pre-lottery test was the real one, where the Leafs got Crosby (unless that's a hoax, but it seemed like it was factual).

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I'm curious now with all the "What would be better for the league" talk... Do people actually think the NHL lottery is rigged? I find it hard to believe as there is likely people watching the lottery take place or at least video evidence. I just find it hard to believe the NHL lottery is rigged and no past NHL executives have mentioned anything or any rumours have gone.

Yeah, it was pretty perfect that the Penguins got Crosby, but they were one of the teams with the best chance too. If only that pre-lottery test was the real one, where the Leafs got Crosby (unless that's a hoax, but it seemed like it was factual).

To be perfectly honest I don't think it's rigged, though I would feel a lot more comfortable if they got a major accounting firm to handle the lottery aspect of it.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The Leafs season:

iQ8ttbkl0U8HO.gif

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

The whole economic setup of the NHL is co-ordinated through collusions amongst just 30 owners and the league office...

Does Toronto want to raise stink? Ok...we'll set up a team in Hamilton. Raise your stink...and watch your market share get slashed.

The NHL draft is done behind closed doors. The league decides where the best prospects go.

This is a business.

Not a democracy.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
just imagine, if we didnt go on that winning stretch back earlier in the season, we would be so close to mcdavid ~_~

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Shanahan made a rare address to the team that morning. They responded with a quality win that night over Columbus, only to lose each and every one of the nine games that followed in some fashion or another.
The results have been evident enough. This core has failed and failed repeatedly. And they understand that change is coming, that the referendum on their tenure is all but over.
“For sure,” Lupul acknowledged ahead of a 1-0 loss to the Flyers, their ninth straight. “Your highest-paid guys are always going to be the guys that get the most praise when you’re winning and the most criticism when you’re losing. We haven’t got the job done. It’s frustrating for me because I haven’t been playing during this – for myself that’s been the case too often.”
Way to throw the blame on your teammates Joffrey, atta' leader.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Now you're just reaching. Obviously it's frustrating for him that he can't play and help contribute to the team, because he's been injured too often...

He's not saying that it's frustrating because he's being blamed for the losing.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

You're taking it out of context.

He's saying he wishes he could contribute.

Not a Lupul fanboy or anything but I think he's one of the few veteran players on this team that takes some pride in his work.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

Honestly, there is no doubt in my mind they rigged that lottery for Crosby. That was pretty well the first lottery and I doubt the league cares that much for fair lotto results when it comes to avoiding a franchise like Pittsburgh having to be moved.

I doubt they rig it every year. But at the same time there is zero doubt to me they made sure Crosby went to the Pens.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
just imagine, if we didnt go on that winning stretch back earlier in the season, we would be so close to mcdavid ~_~

Leafs should have fired Carlyle earlier if they were serious about tanking and securing McDavid.

Carlyle had the Leafs firmly entrenched in a playoff spot with 41 points after 31 games, as that was more points 20 games ago, then some teams have today. Carolina, Arizona, Edmonton and Buffalo still haven't hit 41 points on the season.

Leafs are late to the McDavid derby, but gaining ground quickly. I suppose management felt 40 games of Horachek gave them a decent opportunity to get back in the race for last place.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Honestly, there is no doubt in my mind they rigged that lottery for Crosby. That was pretty well the first lottery and I doubt the league cares that much for fair lotto results when it comes to avoiding a franchise like Pittsburgh having to be moved.

I doubt they rig it every year. But at the same time there is zero doubt to me they made sure Crosby went to the Pens.

They had the very best odds of winning Crosby so it makes sense they got him. However, next year with Arizona only having 11.5% chance of winning, if they were to get it IDK what would happen. Right now there is no reason to think the league intervened with Crosby but my opinion my change next year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are 1-11-1 in January kicking off 2015 with a bang.

With just 16 goals for and 42 goals against that makes a goal differential of -26 in this month alone.

The 16 goals in 14 games or 1.14 GF/g is the lowest total in franchise history passing the 1926 Leafs team (where the forward pass was not allowed in the sport).

This is taking tanking to epic proportions and whole new levels the depths of which not many living Leaf fans have ever witnessed unless you were born prior to 1926.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad