Aug 19, 2002
could you imagine if at home Babs ran

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Kadri-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Hyman
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown

That would be pretty sick
I don't like it.
I don't see Kapanen as a good fit at all with Matthews.
Nylander isn't a center.
Kadri isn't a winger.
Leivo is barely an NHLer.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I'm just going to mention, not that any of you have forgotten, that he is signed for 7 years. 7 years!

This isn't a trade deadline pickup, where he's only a Leaf for one playoff run. This isn't a vet signing, like Marleau, where he's trying to win now before his career ends. Seven years of John Tavares for Maple Leafs fans. We're going to be watching him play on this team in 2025!

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm just going to mention, not that any of you have forgotten, that he is signed for 7 years. 7 years!

This isn't a trade deadline pickup, where he's only a Leaf for one playoff run. This isn't a vet signing, like Marleau, where he's trying to win now before his career ends. Seven years of John Tavares for Maple Leafs fans. We're going to be watching him play on this team in 2025!
7 years of JT, trying his best to win his first stanley cup. We're hopefully going to see the absolute best of him in the next few years.

Reactions: iSophagus

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Exactly Tavares is 27 right now but will turn 28 in a few weeks. Even so that is still very young, to put it in perspective its like having a Mats Sundin on the Leafs in 1999, aka still plenty of gas in the tank and many years left. Or perhaps an even better comparison.. its the same age Doug Gilmour was when he joined the Leafs in 1991-92.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Does Tavares have any aptitude for Front office work (after the NHL) ? anyone know ?

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Lol saw some poor Leafs fan with a Tavares jersey. Haha like we'd ever get him, no superstars come to Toronto.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lol saw some poor Leafs fan with a Tavares jersey. Haha like we'd ever get him, no superstars come to Toronto.

remember there was a guy who got a luongo #1 jersey when it was rumoured we were getting hi from Vancouver for kadri, gardiner and a 1st (I think that was the return)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
David Krjeci is pissed that Boston went after Tavares.
You can send your thank you card to Kyle anytime, David.

where you see that?. Also suck it up Kejeci team wants to get better if that means you drop to 4C or traded too f***ing bad

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
where you see that?. Also suck it up Kejeci team wants to get better if that means you drop to 4C or traded too ****ing bad

heard it on the radio.
reading the comments , not so much "Pissed" but like "hockey mad."

to which.i agree with you

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
where you see that?. Also suck it up Kejeci team wants to get better if that means you drop to 4C or traded too ****ing bad

“I had no idea what was going on. My agent didn’t tell my [anything] because he said he didn’t know anything. I didn’t get any phone calls from anyone from the Bruins,” Krejci told NBC Sports Boston. “So I was just getting those Instagam messages [telling me to request a trade] in my inbox. I know that I have a no-trade so they would have to call me [if they did end up signing Tavares].

“I understand that it’s the hockey business that you have to do whatever you have to do to make the hockey team better,” Krejci said. “Obviously I don’t want to go anywhere. But [general manager Don Sweeney] has got to do what he’s got to do. [Hockey is a business] is what I’ve learned over the years. I love being here and I’ve got three years left, so for me it was just about getting ready to be the best player I can be.
"I’m still young and I feel like I still have some of my best years in front of me. Maybe not 70 or 80 points production-wise, but maybe more of a complete player and helping out the young guys grow.”
https://www.tsn.ca/krejci-didn-t-enjoy-bruins-pursuit-of-tavares-1.1167940

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
David Krjeci is pissed that Boston went after Tavares.
You can send your thank you card to Kyle anytime, David.
Indeed. Feel free to send Dubas a thank you card. I just find the whole thing a bit amusing. You have someone like Kadri happy to have Tavares coming in or Matthews wanting to help with the pitch and then you have Krejci. Of course also just shows the differences in approach. Krejci was just straight up out of the loop on the push for Tavares.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

CHICAGO—It was a mid-June phone call from Auston Matthews to John Tavares that helped the summer’s most coveted free agent decide he would sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

And a dinner about a month later helped cement a bond between the two star centres who will form a 1-2 punch down the middle — with Nazem Kadri adding a formidable third jab — that will make a the Leafs a tough team to play against.

Tavares acknowledged Thursday at the NHL-NHLPA players media tour it was a hard decision to leave the Islanders, but one he could not have made without Matthews’ input.

“Hearing how bad he wanted me to come here and how supportive he was of that, was a big thing for me,” Tavares said in a one-on-one session with The Star. “I didn’t want to come here and disrupt anything, or subtract anything.”

Matthews said he knew Tavares was probably overwhelmed with advice through June as the July 1 start of free agency approached. But he had to call to make is views known.

“I don’t think I needed to give him the OK to sign,” said Matthews, chuckling. “I called him mid-June. He was getting so many calls from so many people and players. It was one of those things, you don’t want to heckle the guy or bother him.

Reactions: ACC1224

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
There's an interview with Tavares on TSN website

Just a heads up since it's his first media appearance since early july

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Had a dream we were playing the Islanders in Brooklyn and Tavares had 2 goals, 4 assists in an 8-2 win for the Leafs. :laugh:

I'm too hyped for this season. :D

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
20180703-tavares-lead.jpg

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Still fizzing.

Just got out of the bush for the first time in 2 months. No days off. Some of you Canucks actually work for a living:popcorn:Head back in for the last month of the season later today.
I have to say next to NZ, BC is a pretty stunning place. It could be better if there wasn't so many things that could eat you.:naughty:
I have bumped into a fare few bears since I have been here.
Anyway.... no Internet or any contact with the outside world for so long allows the mind to work harder than normal. Especially in my case.
Still can't believe JT signed. I almost expected to come out and see it was a mistake as I pretty much went off grid as soon as it was announced.
Can't wait to see how this all pans out in a months time.
I will definitely be flying to Toronto for a few games October 2019 when I get out of the bush.
GLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad