The All Encompassing "Heck yes, we signed Tavares" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why are you begging Leaf fans to understand something that isn't true?

I keep reading people saying we're not contenders and I feel a little bit sorry for you that you can't see what's going on in this town. I'm glad you're in the minority but I wish you'd keep your unbridled pessimism to yourself and let the rest of us who understand how stacked our team is enjoy the coming season in peace.
After the past decade if you can't be excited now what's the point of being a fan?
I'm already putting money away to pay for 4 rounds of playoffs!!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
After the past decade if you can't be excited now what's the point of being a fan?
I'm already putting money away to pay for 4 rounds of playoffs!!!

Very well put!

It's a little bit depressing that so many people seem to be suffering from PTSD. I swear if were to somehow add Doughty and Karlsson tomorrow, these people would be saying that we need to first add a couple of power forwards, win a couple of playoff rounds and get a more proven goalie before we could be considered "serious" contenders.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I said he would likely get 50 goals this coming season before we signed him. He is a pure goal scorer who has never played with a talent like Marner and who can get him the puck in prime scoring areas.

I say he leads the Leafs in goals this year and be very close to the leagues best in goal scoring or be the best.

To be the Rocket winner you need a player who can get you the puck in key areas of the ice and not have the puck all the time. JT always had to create offence for himself and his line mates on the Island. People may finally understand just how good Marner really is playing with JT.
I hope you're right. However, I hope you're right that he gets over 50 and I'm right that he doesn't even lead us in scoring.

And believe me, I know exactly how good the Mitchician is.

Reactions: diceman934

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
THIS!

Leafs fans please understand that the Leafs are not a contender yet. They are a great team. but they are missing 1 piece.

The next 7 years are going to be a VERY emotional roller-coaster ride for Leafs Nation. Expectations are through the roof. But the kids arent ready.....YET!

Leafs contention window starts next season.
I guess no one is a contender then.
And, if no one else is a contender, I guess that puts us in contention.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When is the last time a team had two (2), 50 goal scorers in the same season, during the balloon goalie era?

The last time 2 X NHL players any teams scored +50 was 2011-12 (Stamkos 60 & Malkin 50).

The last time teammates both scored +50 was 1995-96 (Lemieux 69 & Jagr 62) with Pens.

The last time our Leafs nearly accomplished it was 1993-94 when Andreychuk 53 and Wendel Clark had 46 (but in only 64 games)

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Very well put!

It's a little bit depressing that so many people seem to be suffering from PTSD. I swear if were to somehow add Doughty and Karlsson tomorrow, these people would be saying that we need to first add a couple of power forwards, win a couple of playoff rounds and get a more proven goalie before we could be considered "serious" contenders.
It's easy to say they aren't contenders and then if/when they lose they can go back and show how their insight was correct.
I certainly don't expect a cup this year but I do expect some serious noise and once you get past the 1st round you never know.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's easy to say they aren't contenders and then if/when they lose they can go back and show how their insight was correct.
I certainly don't expect a cup this year but I do expect some serious noise and once you get past the 1st round you never know.

Do you have to win anything to be considered a contender? One round, 2, 3 or can you be like Chicago/Los Angeles and miss the playoffs, and be a contender?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Do you have to win anything to be considered a contender? One round, 2, 3 or can you be like Chicago/Los Angeles and miss the playoffs, and be a contender?

Vegas almost went from non-existence to winning the cup so that should answer that question. There are no hard and fast rules, all you need to do is make the playoffs and win 16 games once you get there. The best way to gauge a team's chances IMO is to look at the roster, I'd say the previous years playoff results would be far down the list.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Vegas almost went from non-existence to winning the cup so that should answer that question. There are no hard and fast rules, all you need to do is make the playoffs and win 16 games once you get there. The best way to gauge a team's chances IMO is to look at the roster, I'd say the previous years playoff results would be far down the list.

So, realistically, every team is a contender because there were no reasonable expectations the VGK were even going to make the playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So, realistically, every team is a contender because there were no reasonable expectations the VGK were even going to make the playoffs.

Regular season = too early to call contenders.

Playoffs season = 16 Cup contenders.

No shortage of examples of teams that had strong seasons 1 year and then missed the playoffs the next including winning the Cup.

Montreal won the Atlantic in 2016-17 with 103 points and Sens lost in OT in game #7 in round 3, and then finished 2nd and 4th last overall in 2017-18.

Lets hope Leafs adding offense but ignoring a weak defense core and losing size, strength and physicality doesn't have negative results :crossfing

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I wouldn't go that far. I would just say that there's no point in setting arbitrary criteria.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Like Mess said, the everybody of the 16 playoff performers are stanley cup contenders. So we bout win this thang real soon again and we gon see to this one. :clap:

Tavares finna be my favourite maple leaf since sundin tucker domi and them guys. Kadri being right there too still. These fools finna do their thang on other teams like that mayne. We bout to get some real tan up in that thang. We have the strongest team like ever in toronto now baby. And we got the goalie too with some cool and collective d-men. We bout to blow up with the tavvy now man.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Why are you begging Leaf fans to understand something that isn't true?

I keep reading people saying we're not contenders and I feel a little bit sorry for you that you can't see what's going on in this town. I'm glad you're in the minority but I wish you'd keep your unbridled pessimism to yourself and let the rest of us who understand how stacked our team is enjoy the coming season in peace.

you and all the people who think like you are the ones that will be calling for Babcock's head when the outcome of the season is not what you want it to be.

There is a progression to winning. This team havent accomplished anything yet. But they will in time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
you and all the people who think like you are the ones that will be calling for Babcock's head when the outcome of the season is not what you want it to be.

There is a progression to winning. This team havent accomplished anything yet. But they will in time.

My desired outcome is for us to win the cup but I'm also a realist and understand that no one team can expect to win the cup this season. Off the top of my head, I'd guess no one team has better than a 15% shot this year but that has nothing to do with whether or not we're a contender (and yes, we absolutely are a contender). As for theory of progression, see what Vegas did last season.

Better give that crystal ball of yours a good cleaning, it's not doing a very good job.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

That is a really dumb thought.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Training camp should be less than a month away, and the regular season will start under two months from now.

Guess it is time to start following the rumour mill again and the hockey news.

By this time, there will be no further changes until training camp, and hardly anyone gets traded during camp.

Seems to me there are 3 spots open on the forwards, mostly on the 4th line. There are 2 spots open for the bottom pairing on defense.

:joker: :silly:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Training camp should be less than a month away, and the regular season will start under two months from now.

Guess it is time to start following the rumour mill again and the hockey news.

By this time, there will be no further changes until training camp, and hardly anyone gets traded during camp.

Seems to me there are 3 spots open on the forwards, mostly on the 4th line. There are 2 spots open for the bottom pairing on defense.

:joker: :silly:
I think every spot is at least written in pencil except maybe 2. That would be 4th line LWer and 13th forward. Lindholm will have to lose the job to not get it, he'll be given every chance to win it. Leivo and Ennis will be penciled into the other 2 but will be battling in out. Kapanen and Jonnsson could go back down, but its highly unlikely.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm just thrilled we're getting closer to the season. It was an awesome day when the news about Tavares signing broke. But it will be far more exciting seeing him out there with a Leaf jersey on.

Just have to wait and see what else happens before opening night.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We signed Tavares. I'd be excited for next season without that happening, I really would. I'd still like, no love our chances at winning the cup soon with so much young talent on the team that should improve even more given time but adding Tavares to the mix, holy crap.

Heck yes, we signed Tavares!!!!!!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

:highclap::5::hyper::hyper::hyper::5::highclap:

Reactions: srnd9399

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We signed Tavares. I'd be excited for next season without that happening, I really would. I'd still like, no love our chances at winning the cup soon with so much young talent on the team that should improve even more given time but adding Tavares to the mix, holy crap.

Heck yes, we signed Tavares!!!!!!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

:highclap::5::hyper::hyper::hyper::5::highclap:

Our forward group stacks up with anyone. We have top notch goaltending (usually). The defense I think will steadily improve over the next couple years as we graduate a few guys to the NHL. Maybe we acquire a top 4 guy. I agree it's hard to not get excited about the chances this team has to make a serious run and soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad