The All Encompassing "Heck yes, we signed Tavares" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

This is really what Kadri was talking about when talking about JT's work ethic. I've said for awhile (way before he became a Leaf) that Tavares is in the 99th percentile when it comes to dedication to working hard and getting better.

Woah! Check out Matty with the beard behind the glass...suck it, Lou!

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Here's John Tavares working out at the Athlete Training Centre at age 17. The kid worked his ass off on and off the ice...and still does...now, he's a man at his prime playing for his childhood team, the Leafs, to help bring home the Cup! So pumped!

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Here's my take on the whole angle of the view of Tavares betraying the Isles by supposedly knowing he was gonna sign with the Leafs all along, and not letting the Isles know so they could've traded him:

Not every player entering the final year of his contract knows, or even thinks about, what he'll do once he hits free agency. In some cases they do, for example it's obvious Karlsson isn't gonna re-sign in Ottawa. But there's some players who simply just have the mindset of playing out the final year of their contract and crossing the FA bridge when they reach it, which I think was the case with Tavares. He was under ZERO obligation to make a decision before his contract year and had every right to play it out with the Isles and focus on FA when the season ended.

In turn, the Isles management also has the right to look out for their own interests. In this respect, they could've said to Tavares last summer "We know you like it here on LI and aren't ready to make a decision yet. We also want you to continue to be here long term. However, you are too valuable of a player for us to take a risk losing for nothing on the open market. Therefore, we will need you to sign an extension by this (insert deadline here) date, or we will have no choice but to trade you because we can't risk losing you for nothing."

Both parties are within their rights to exercise their interests in this manner, which is exactly what Tavares did. I get Isles fans are heartbroken, as I would've been too had Stamkos signed in Toronto 2 years ago. However, if there's anyone for them to be upset with, it's the Isles front office who gambled in this situation and lost.

Just my hot take on the biggest FA move this offseason. Should be some super entertaining games when the blue and white teams from Ontario and Florida play each other.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
34 could be in the desert right now getting crushed by his sister in golf, but he’s choosing to stay plugged in with the team all summer. Says a lot when he wants to sit around watching jt practice.

Great point. Auston is indoctrinated now.

B7xXDC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180718-190432_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180718-190432_Gallery.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 8

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

This is really what Kadri was talking about when talking about JT's work ethic. I've said for awhile (way before he became a Leaf) that Tavares is in the 99th percentile when it comes to dedication to working hard and getting better.

Leafs are extremely lucky to have a guy like Marleau come here last year but even more fortunate to have someone like Tavares who is in his prime be here. Our top young players can lean on him because he’s been through all the highs and lows of being a superstar.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Leafs are extremely lucky to have a guy like Marleau come here last year but even more fortunate to have someone like Tavares who is in his prime be here. Our top young players can lean on him because he’s been through all the highs and lows of being a superstar.
Yeah, he'll set a good tone and get pressure off of them. Although, I'd never question Marner and especially Matthews focus on being the best players they can be. Matthews has always been very meticulous about his preparation and working towards his goals.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, he'll set a good tone and get pressure off of them. Although, I'd never question Marner and especially Matthews focus on being the best players they can be. Matthews has always been very meticulous about his preparation and working towards his goals.

True. I don’t think guys like Marner, Matthews, Nylander would get complacent but it sure helps when you see a guy who has already cashed in (he’s going to make 30M within a year of signing with the Leafs) work so hard to realize his dream.

Tavares is going to work even harder now. If he’s thought of being a Leaf for a while, I’m sure he’s also thought of his jersey hanging up in the rafters after his career is finished. It’s a fun time to be a Leafs fan.

To be honest, I don’t see anyone on the Leafs scoring an obscene amount of points in the regular season as Babcock really believes in playing each line properly and doesn’t really like to overplay anyone (and why not if you have three great lines) but I do think it will result in a lot of short playoff series in favour of the Leafs. Just need to win one and the floodgates will open.

There isn’t much Babcock can do to disappoint me next season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
True. I don’t think guys like Marner, Matthews, Nylander would get complacent but it sure helps when you see a guy who has already cashed in (he’s going to make 30M within a year of signing with the Leafs) work so hard to realize his dream.

Tavares is going to work even harder now. If he’s thought of being a Leaf for a while, I’m sure he’s also thought of his jersey hanging up in the rafters after his career is finished. It’s a fun time to be a Leafs fan.

To be honest, I don’t see anyone on the Leafs scoring an obscene amount of points in the regular season as Babcock really believes in playing each line properly and doesn’t really like to overplay anyone (and why not if you have three great lines) but I do think it will result in a lot of short playoff series in favour of the Leafs. Just need to win one and the floodgates will open.

There isn’t much Babcock can do to disappoint me next season.
I don't think that's possible. He was already one of the most professional and hardest working guys in the league. He'll bring an extremely professional approach and an elite player to our team. I can't wait to see what this season brings.

Reactions: Superstar

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I don't think that's possible. He was already one of the most professional and hardest working guys in the league. He'll bring an extremely professional approach and an elite player to our team. I can't wait to see what this season brings.

Yep, so excited for the upcoming season. It's going to be very difficult for our opponents to match up against our lines on any given night..."hmm...Tavares or Matthews...crap, there's Kadri too and he's their shutdown centre...alright 3rd liners, who do you want to face? Tavares or Matthews?!"

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I read that. He is too emotional still and went all around the place and used too many "you know", "like", "who dosent't?".

It almost sounded like the letter was just a transcribed dictation with all those "You know" and "like" additions.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I think my leafs snuggie is a fine middle ground.
I have just discovered that this exists, and I'm pretty happy about it:
toronto0000__49645.1475022628.1280.1280.png
Toronto Maple Leafs NHL Onesie

The Officially Licensed NHL Hockey Sockey Onesies are as close as you can get to suiting up in your favourite teams uniform. A full fleece body suit with hoodie, pockets and back door "five hole trapper" emergency flap, these onesies are the must have fan apparel. Perfect for wearing at a game, at a party, or just lounging around the house. Please see the sizing chart to ensure a proper fit.
:laugh:

Reactions: Liminality

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I posted this in the Expectations for JT thread but I think it deserves to be here.

Alright if that's what you meant.

Here's a look at how many penalties were drawn last season per player, including playoffs.

Polak 9 penalties drawn, 61 games, 0.148 penalties drawn per game
Martin 6 penalties drawn, 50 games, 0.12 penalties drawn per game
Komarov 7 penalties drawn, 76 games, 0.092 penalties drawn per game

Lets look at our top players

Matthews 18 penalties drawn, 69 games, 0.261 penalties drawn per game
Marner 19 penalties drawn, 89 games, 0.213 penalties drawn per game
Nylander 22 penalties drawn, 89 games, 0.247 penalties drawn per game
Kadri 29 penalties drawn, 84 games, 0.345 penalties drawn per game

Lets also add Tavares now

Tavares 21 penalties draw, 82 games, 0.256 penalties drawn per game

So I'm going to have to say you're wrong on your assumption.

Stats from Stats from the reverse end

Tavares is pretty much as good at drawing penalties as Matthews is.
Comparing him to higher skilled players who are leaving the leafs.

Bozak 11 penalties, 88 games, 0.125 penalties drawn per game
JVR 6 penalties, 88 games, 0.068 penalties drawn per game (Yikes)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The salt on the NYI is starting to get diluted but it’s still pretty strong! :laugh:

What I find most amusing is TWS trying to make friends with them, and keep the salt going... Even adopting the words ‘Tr91tor’,’Judas’ and ‘Pajama Boy’. I mean, this guy isn’t even an Islanders fan and he hates the leafs so mug he is using their language :laugh:

Reactions: Garthinater

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
The salt on the NYI is starting to get diluted but it’s still pretty strong! :laugh:

What I find most amusing is TWS trying to make friends with them, and keep the salt going... Even adopting the words ‘Tr91tor’,’Judas’ and ‘Pajama Boy’. I mean, this guy isn’t even an Islanders fan and he hates the leafs so mug he is using their language :laugh:
If being a chameleon from team to team is what makes him happy, let him. I'm sure he feels not great after jumping the Leaf ship right before they got really good.

Reactions: draeko17

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
I have just discovered that this exists, and I'm pretty happy about it:
toronto0000__49645.1475022628.1280.1280.png
Toronto Maple Leafs NHL Onesie

:laugh:

speaking as an owner of 3 different onesies including this one, the emergency flap feature is quite handy and not to be joked about. those extra 30 seconds you gain on sunday's where you don't do anything anyways makes my life much more productive. don't think i'd buy another one without it.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
There is a very large part of me that wants to make the trek to LI in February.

Their fans talk a big game, but having been there once already, they're pretty tame overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad