The All Encompassing "Heck yes, we signed Tavares" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Lol @ Islander fans saying he won’t be able to handle the pressure of playing in Toronto. Yea it’s not like he’s played for Team canada before or anything...

Reactions: Atomos2

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Lol @ Islander fans saying he won’t be able to handle the pressure of playing in Toronto. Yea it’s not like he’s played for Team canada before or anything...

the reason why there's pressure is people care and want the team to succeed

we aren't a year round vacation destination

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The Islander Faithful seem upset they couldn't keep holding their star player emotionally hostage in their own dysfunctional little corner of the league.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

Tavares seems like the exact type of person who CAN handle the pressure here to me. Especially since he won’t have to do it all by himself anymore.

Also, who else still gets pumped about this everyday?

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Tavares seems like the exact type of person who CAN handle the pressure here to me. Especially since he won’t have to do it all by himself anymore.

Also, who else still gets pumped about this everyday?

Still makes me smile but it's gonna be even better when we see him on the ice opening day against the Habs. Perfect opportunity for the team to showcase it's skill....against a Habs team that doesn't even know how to spell the word skill right now.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Still makes me smile but it's gonna be even better when we see him on the ice opening day against the Habs. Perfect opportunity for the team to showcase it's skill....against a Habs team that doesn't even know how to spell the word skill right now.

I figured this is how they spell skill: S-P-I-L-L...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Tavares has been handling pressure since he was in his early teens as a phenom.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

That 2nd goal is all instincts and skill...Tavares baited the dman before pulling the puck to his right the last second to purposely deceive the goalie before potting it. He literally deceived both the dman and the goalie simultaneously.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Media hasn't been an issue in the Shanahan era. It's so annoying constantly listening to people talk about the media when discussing Tavares.

I mean, we sucked for a decade straight and went through some horrendous management and players. What else were people expecting from the media? Change was needed and the media let them know how trash they were. Good.

edit- Oops you never mentioned that they said media. Ah well media still part of the pressure.

Last edited:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

Lol what does this even mean? "Yeah he should totally come play where we have 12 fans and a horrible arena!" The Islanders fans that are spewing nonsense like this since July 1 are ridiculous. They sound like abusive exes.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It’s funny because Tavares literally dispelled that by saying that if you can’t handle the pressure in Toronto you shouldn’t be in the league.

This isn’t pressure to him, this is his lifelong dream.

It’s mindboggling that they are showing all this hate to John Tavares, and yet aren’t saying shit about their doofus previous management team, and their idiotic ownership.

YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A HOME RINK!

He spent 9 years with the Islanders, and they could barely put together a credible top 6 forwards, let alone a credible team, and you expect him to stay?

You literally fired a coach he advocated for 20 days before he he was able to talk to other teams.

But yeah, John Tavares and the Leafs are the bad guys.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It’s funny because Tavares literally dispelled that by saying that if you can’t handle the pressure in Toronto you shouldn’t be in the league.

It’s mindboggling that they are showing all this hate to John Tavares, and yet aren’t saying **** about their doofus previous management team, and their idiotic ownership.

He spent 9 years with the Islanders, and they could barely put together a credible top 6 forwards, let alone a credible team, and you expect him to stay?

You literally fired a coach he advocated for 20 days before he he was able to talk to other teams.

This imo is 100% on NYI's management during Tavares' time there. I get they're mad at him for leaving but they really needed to see what kind of position they put him in for years.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

It’s mindboggling that they are showing all this hate to John Tavares, and yet aren’t saying **** about their doofus previous management team, and their idiotic ownership.

Exactly. Doug Weight may have been a horrible coach but there was no way of finding that out with the roster that Snow built.

AFAIK, one of the articles even mentions that Tavares didn’t ask to not be traded, he was just told by Snow that they won’t be moving him. Tavares also had an NTC that he had earned so if he didn’t want to be traded, it was well within his right. Islanders gambled and lost. Simple as that. If they trade him, there is no chance he goes back there. If they don’t trade him at least they had a chance. In the end, he was deciding between Toronto and NYI. So it was a gamble that was close to paying off.

It’s funny how they think he’s a snake who always wanted to play for Toronto. If that were really the case, he could have pulled a Lindros at the draft. He could have demanded a trade after his ELC. He could have asked for an enormous amount of money. He could have signed exactly a 5 year deal taking him to UFA earlier. He did none of that. He wanted to make it work in the Island but he knew it wasn’t going to work out. Do they even make the playoffs in the next two years with Tavares on the team? Very doubtful.

A guy like Matthews has just entered the league and has never missed the playoffs and played 13 playoff games already. Tavares in his nine year career had a grand total of 24 games played. He’s a competitor. No one wants to stop playing after the regular season.

You know how their fans were getting giddy about offer sheeting our players? Maybe if they just drafted Rielly instead of Reinhart and Nylander instead of Michael Dal Colle, Tavares might still be in the Island. They wouldn’t need to hope about offersheeting Nylander. Nylander has a full beard now :laugh:. The guy wouldn’t play for a Lou team even if they paid him 10M.

When you suck and suffer as much as the Islanders did, the last thing you can afford to do is f*** up the draft picks.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
My 2cents worth.

Isles fans have a right to be upset. Imagine the situation was reversed.

But

One thing they need to get is ...why would he say to the media no you know what I'm not sure about being an Islander for my long term I have to think about it. Players never..almost never say that kind of stuff. EK said he was happy he wasn't traded..no ownership riff...lol anyone here believe that? If you do..wow lol

The pain of seeing your 1st OV franchise center would be like if Matthew's did that after 9yrs to go to AZ. Sundin did something similar but he was at the end of his rope so not a good comparison.

The ill will comments, and defamatory posts about him and his fiancee and family are too far. Calling him pyjama boy..oh nice insult.. a oakville native who grew up a huge fan...like none of you had your favorite team pjs or cartoon characters..enough is enough.

We finally have a great core, he happened to be a monster leaf fan, family and friends in area AND the pressure? Well he eats where I work all the time and people give him his space even since being signed.

Apparently E kane was mobbed by 40 ppl in SJ walking down the street with Timmo Mier. But it was good will statements. Nevertheless the point is anywhere he went he would've got that..except in NY Island and if I'm incorrect my apologies. But the way NY fans talk is like he doesnt get bugged at all. Us Toronto fans are a bit nuts..450plus pages on JT watch
.which I miss..that was fun..esp the end.

I still cannot believe we got him..I. saving everything to do with that day and him in a jersey. It's rare a hometown boy comes home that's easy a top 5 center in the league and for 11million...bargain and will therefore be a standard set to sign our big other 3.

Go leafs Go

Reactions: Garthinater
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad