The ACC is Just a Cocktail Bar/Sushi Restaurant

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
Instead of complaining people should come up with solutions, social media universe they may actually listen to some of the ideas.

1-Be successful, get good seats for free from work. I used to get a couple games when at KPMG right out of school, so its really not that hard. Both Plats and Gold.

2-Have seat fillers, people go to bar, seat fillers come in. They are real fans, who apply. Non paid role or min wage of they need to be paid. There job is to cheer/change/wear colours, actually be present at all times when needed etc etc. Get text or some other alert to move because owners are coming back.

3-Fans should start a chant against the empty platinum to embarrass them to come back quicker, as an accountant I am not creative to think of any.

4-Not back by the 18 Min mark, fans can throw waffles at you.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
rather than ***** about it here, get a job so you can afford those tickets and sit in the seats every second of every game

problem solved

Calling out fellow leafs fans and telling them to "get a job" with no possible knowledge about their financial position...now that is just sinking to a whole new level of low on this forum that in my honest opinion does not belong here....

For all we know the OP could be in a considerably higher tax bracket than yourself, while you, on the other hand, continue to struggle paying off your OSAP loans!... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am only getting defensive in support of the OP because I believe everything he wrote in his post was 100% accurate, while you come off sounding as if you are the leader of the "suits" coalition.

Last edited:

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Calling out fellow leafs fans and telling them to "get a job" with no possible knowledge about their financial position...now that is just sinking to a whole new level of low on this forum that in my honest opinion does not belong here....

For all we know the OP could be in a considerably higher tax bracket than yourself, while you, on the other hand, continue to struggle paying off your OSAP loans!... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am only getting defensive in support of the OP because I believe everything he wrote in his post was 100% accurate, while you come off sounding as if you are the leader of the "suits" coalition.

what is this OSAP you speak of?

(jk)

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
why would someone eat sushi at a hockey game...

doesnt fit the entertainment lol

Because some people like sushi, and aren't tools to advertising who eat whatever they are "supposed" to, which is apparently overpriced sea-gull meat hotdogs and plain nachos with fake cheese that comes out of a caulking gun?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Which part? None of it was accurate.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
why would someone eat sushi at a hockey game...

doesnt fit the entertainment lol

There are a lot more choices there than Sushi. Is that the only inappropriate choice?

Caring about what people eat at a game is about as dumb as caring about what they wear or how they cheer.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Knowledgeable, and grossly engaged. To me the lack of crowd noise while play is ongoing is mostly just the crowd at large paying very close attention. Where there ought to be noise, there's noise.

:handclap: This is the right answer. Been saying the same thing for years.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

No better than calling fellow leaf fans drones and questioning their level of fandom because of what they wear and eat or how much noise they make at the games.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site

Don't take it personally. Some people rationalize things to themselves, while others have insulated themselves in their little bubble for so long that they don't realize that actual disciplines dedicate themselves to studying the causes of social hierarchies. He couldn't even string together a proper response because his stance was more emotional than objective.

Don't get defensive. He's trying to prop himself up at the expense of others, but needs to resort to the same old cliches that have long been debunked because he doesn't know how to respond.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
No better than calling fellow leaf fans drones and questioning their level of fandom because of what they wear and eat or how much noise they make at the games.

In many ways, they are drones. That's the point of the business suit in the first place. It's about social conformity under the guise of professionalism. They don't have much of a choice because it's imposed on them, much like a uniform.

Questioning their level of fandom because of it and what they eat, however, is something I don't agree with. In fact, pretty much everyone I know eats sushi. If you went to U of T, you've most likely eaten sushi in the Annex.

Two separate issues that are getting blended together.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
In many ways, they are drones. That's the point of the business suit in the first place. It's about social conformity under the guise of professionalism. They don't have much of a choice because it's imposed on them, much like a uniform.

Questioning their level of fandom because of it and what they eat, however, is something I don't agree with. In fact, pretty much everyone I know eats sushi. If you went to U of T, you've most likely eaten sushi in the Annex.

Which restaurant is best?

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site

I like New Gen, personally. Very quick service, and they're open until 2. Sushi on Bloor has really good portion sizes and adequate sushi, but their service is probably the worst in the area. They're all comparable, though, and most have $6.99 lunch specials. Not the best sushi in the city, but when I was a student it was the go-to area for my sushi fix. I'm sure the sushi in the ACC is probably pretty good as well. No point in skimping out on cheap food when your clients are paying that much for seats.

They still need a buzzer or a clock back there, though, to let them know when the game is starting.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Pretty much the same issue, the way I see it.

Boils down to an argument about the good honest working man and true hockey fan getting the shaft at the expense of a more affluent, corporate/urbane/pretentious phony.

grah7830

Nov 21, 2009

Assuming you're talking about the stretch of Bloor in the Annex, Sushi Couture (despite its terrible name) is infinitely better than any of the cheaper standards like New Gen or Sushi on Bloor. It's a little more expensive, but when you're eating raw fish wouldn't you feel a little more comfortable paying a little bit more?

Also, obviously not sushi, but Guu is an incredible izakaya if you want other Japanese food.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
I get the occasional seats in the reds, and it really is an overblown issue. When the Leafs are winning and in genuinely exciting games, the atmosphere is nice. I remember a couple games against Boston last year (especially the one where Kessel made Thomas' entire body go into the net in the shootout) & the atmosphere was pretty sweet. The tickets aren't cheap, but hey there's a lot more demand than there is supply here. 20,000 seats a night and far, far more Leafs fan that would pay top dollar to fill them. Only natural that many fans are going to be priced out.

mpolo

Aug 20, 2007
The only interesting argument in this thread, as I see it, calling out the fans for not getting vocal/present during the game.

If you accept that having loud, excited fans enhances the play on the ice, then by sitting on your hands, or not filling the seats means you are hurting your team. Period.

The problem with lineups in concessions is a real one for sure. There is no way MLSE will do anything that keeps people from spending money during the game. They'd rather have the seats empty for the first 10 minutes than lose x dollars in concessions.

Not sure how to fix that though. Streamline concessions sales? More in-stands concessions vendors? Online sales from your smartphone with in-seat delivery?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Sushi certainly wasn't a conventional menu option at a sporting event back in the day but times change. Would any of you be opposed to getting a legit high end meal out of a food truck? It wasn't conventional but it's all the rage now. Get with the times people. People obviously have their preferences but I love sushi (though I hardly ever eat food at a sporting event - feels it takes away from my ability to really pay attention to what's going on). But if you still can't get over sushi, I'm happy to let you know that you can also find some fresh oysters at the game as well, haha.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Pretty much the same issue, the way I see it.

Boils down to an argument about the good honest working man and true hockey fan getting the shaft at the expense of a more affluent, corporate/urbane/pretentious phony.

They are separate issues because sushi isn't a wealthy person's food anymore, and the wealthy have been getting better seats for decades. His complaint towards the suits and sushi is misguided because his real issue is with the bigger system as a whole, which just so happens to affect the average fan more than the wealthy corporate elite. Sure, indirectly they're responsible for helping perpetuate the problem, but the options are conform or become an outsider most likely to struggle.

I don't think anyone resents their wealth as much as the hording of resources and opportunities that go into a winner-take-all system. He feels frustrated because there's very little opportunity to ever reach that level because success isn't correlated with hard-work. Ridiculing the working class and making baseless claims about their work-ethic only fans the flames because the average worker probably works harder than most suits, especially relative to their compensation.

I don't think you can label all suits under a single umbrella term, anyway. The majority don't make any more than teachers, paramedics or a successful carpenter. Most get perks that are written off at the expense of tax-dollars which could go towards social programs that help others. I suspect that's his real issue. Like it or not, it has very little to do with being jealous of their wealth. If making money to afford the tickets were a matter of hard work, most people would simply just work harder. Most fans don't have that option, as they're already working hard and scraping by.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They are separate issues because sushi isn't a wealthy person's food anymore, and the wealthy have been getting better seats for decades. His complaint towards the suits and sushi is misguided because his real issue is with the bigger system as a whole, which just so happens to affect the average fan more than the wealthy corporate elite. Sure, indirectly they're responsible for helping perpetuate the problem, but the options are conform or become an outsider most likely to struggle.

I don't think anyone resents their wealth as much as the hording of resources and opportunities that go into a winner-take-all system. He feels frustrated because there's very little opportunity to ever reach that level because success isn't correlated with hard-work. Ridiculing the working class and making baseless claims about their work-ethic only fans the flames because the average worker probably works harder than most suits, especially relative to their compensation.

I don't think you can label all suits under a single umbrella term, anyway. The majority don't make any more than teachers, paramedics or a successful carpenter. Most get perks that are written off at the expense of tax-dollars which could go towards social programs that help others. I suspect that's his real issue. Like it or not, it has very little to do with being jealous of their wealth. If making money to afford the tickets were a matter of hard work, most people would simply just work harder. Most fans don't have that option, as they're already working hard and scraping by.

I don't think there's any well thought out, nuanced social critique coming from the OP, other than thinking, "lower bowl = Gordon Gekko = bad" and the genuine Leafs fan is some kind of working class Martin Sheen hero, if we were to use an outdated, Wall Street analogy.

Simply an us vs them, outdated notion of class and socioeconomic hierarchy, disregarding the reality of things like the proletarianization of white collar workers, or even what corporations do with their seasons tickets. Sometimes they're just giving them out as a thank you to their staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad