The ACC is Just a Cocktail Bar/Sushi Restaurant

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exaggerating the issue may be a problem, I will agree with you there, the 50% is out of proportion... But at least you are recognizing that there is an issue to some extent with filling those seats, and I'll just end it at that.

Personally I don't see the problem. There are empty seats throughout the entire building at the beginning of periods. Those stand out more because they are visible on tv and grouped together (presumably they're in a box) where the rest of the fans are absent in pairs.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Didn't they mention last night that today is the anniversary of the ACC? I know it was around this time of year, the final 14 games.

I don't remember the 1st game but the Playoffs that followed were crazy. It's been a long time but it will come back to that level of enthusiasm. If I'm not mistaken sushi eating Suits were there as well.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Didn't they mention last night that today is the anniversary of the ACC? I know it was around this time of year, the final 14 games.

I don't remember the 1st game but the Playoffs that followed were crazy. It's been a long time but it will come back to that level of enthusiasm. If I'm not mistaken sushi eating Suits were there as well.

Pat Park posted a picture of the first score sheet from the first game at the ACC today.

An OT winner from Steve Thomas.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Pat Park posted a picture of the first score sheet from the first game at the ACC today.

An OT winner from Steve Thomas.

All I remember was signing a Guest Book upon entering the building.

Kyle Doobas*

:facepalm:

Do you think the Taffs are all sheep farmers or something? Have you never heard of Cardiff? Or Swansea? Do you not realize that, since they are part of the United Kingdom, their tax dollars went to bailing out various banks that had gotten themselves in trouble so there was every reason for them to protest too?
28774982.jpg

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
All right...but then how do you explain the lack of passion and support during the pre-game when a guy like Dave Keon comes back for only his 2nd appearance ?

I was at the Hall of fame game a few years ago when Hull, Robitaille, Leetch and Yzerman got inducted. The fans only got off their seat for Yzerman. It was pathetic.

Jaded. It's hard to be excited about 1963 when you haven't made the playoffs in 8 bleeding years.

Fans aren't stupid. Place is loud when there's a reason to be loud. We could try not being out of the playoff race in March.

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
It's not just hockey, North American fans apart from college sports and MLS are boring and stagnant, they are more interested in chewing than cheering. That's a sad reality, admit it and you will never be disappointed once again

mstew

Mar 2, 2011
Canada
It's not just hockey, North American fans apart from college sports and MLS are boring and stagnant, they are more interested in chewing than cheering. That's a sad reality, admit it and you will never be disappointed once again

That is the most ridiculously incorrect statement I have ever heard. NBA finals in Oklahoma? Playoff football in Seattle's CenturyLink Field? Toronto Blue Jays home openers? Those crowds are anything but 'boring' and 'stagnant'.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Nothing screams "great sporting crowd" like a Jays home opener with a bunch of dumbass 19 year olds running on the field, 5% of the upper deck getting kicked out and the opposing team's left fielder getting baseballs thrown at him.

...although I guess they meet the definition of not being boring and stagnant. I'd definitely take that over whatever crap the Jays home opener will throw at us this year.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

MLS Soccer fans????? Really? Can you imagine if hockey fans started behaving like those hoodlums in Europe and South America.

Kessley Snipes*

This thread again? Seriously?

I was just at MSG to take in a Rangers game and I can say it was just like the ACC. Which is funny because so many of you use MSG as a great example when referring to a good hockey atmosphere.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Here we go again...

I was at the game tonight. Great atmosphere. Especially the anti-Miller and Tyler Myers stuff.

It's funny - when the team is winning, the fans cheer. It's almost as if what I've been saying in these threads all along is true:

Win, and the fans will cheer. Not the other way around.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Nothing screams "great sporting crowd" like a Jays home opener with a bunch of dumbass 19 year olds running on the field, 5% of the upper deck getting kicked out and the opposing team's left fielder getting baseballs thrown at him.

...although I guess they meet the definition of not being boring and stagnant. I'd definitely take that over whatever crap the Jays home opener will throw at us this year.

Passion > Apathy.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
All I gotta say is this:

MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
MLS Soccer fans????? Really? Can you imagine if hockey fans started behaving like those hoodlums in Europe and South America.

Toronto FC fans don't act like "hoodlums" the way those with the namesake do in Europe and South America.

And pertaining to Europe, "hoodlums" refers to less than 1% of the fanbase that shows up to games across the continent.

MrPiff17

Bay St. Bullies
Feb 22, 2009
the 416
Was at the game tonight, in the 100 level with lots of suits, my buddy and I tried to make as much noise as possible, but no matter how much noise we made, and how loud we were, it just seems awkward cheering by ourselves while 95% of the people around us would just stare at us like we were off our medication, that's why it's so hard to start a GO LEAFS GO chant

It's like they're too important to cheer at a live game... Now this was around my section (105) so I'm not saying it's like that all around, the Miller chants were awesome, it seemed to carry around the arena, except for my section

It just seems like the loud fans are all in the upper levels much like Blue Jays games

It also seems like the fans need something they can do together to get real noise, like the girl on girl kiss cam, or a song and cheer like Chelsea Dagger after a goal, and a better goal horn (haha) and as we heard, the Miller chant

JoeParez

Respect This Man
Jun 19, 2007
Was at the game tonight, in the 100 level with lots of suits, my buddy and I tried to make as much noise as possible, but no matter how much noise we made, and how loud we were, it just seems awkward cheering by ourselves while 95% of the people around us would just stare at us like we were off our medication, that's why it's so hard to start a GO LEAFS GO chant

It's like they're too important to cheer at a live game... Now this was around my section (105) so I'm not saying it's like that all around, the Miller chants were awesome, it seemed to carry around the arena, except for my section

It just seems like the loud fans are all in the upper levels much like Blue Jays games

It also seems like the fans need something they can do together to get real noise, like the girl on girl kiss cam, or a song and cheer like Chelsea Dagger after a goal, and a better goal horn (haha) and as we heard, the Miller chant

Different perspective where I was in section 109! There were guys in suits who had their backpacks and as the game started pulled out their Leaf jerseys and enjoyed the game. My section was bumping, especially heckling this one guy with a Vanek jersey who was taunting the crowd when we were up 2 - 1 (then **** got real for him when the Leafs made it 3 - 1). I thought there was a buzz in the building last night that I hadn't felt in a while.

Perhaps because (even though there was a little tension when the Sabres scored) the Leafs showed a certain confidence that they weren't deflated by the first goal. I think it was the 4th line that had a pretty good energy shirt that caused it.

There is a difference between being a "fan" and a "fanatic" - am I less of a fan because I don't really get loud? I enjoy watching and observing the game. I'm not really an extrovert, so I won't start a chant on my own or get up to get everyone going (though I did start a few of the Miller chants last night). But I won't get in the way of someone wanting to show their support "outwards" and I'll definitely join in when it gets going - but sometimes, and this has to be said, those that feel that they're getting up and supporting and feel they're getting a "stink eye" - have to look at themselves first, because chances are, they're actually the obnoxious ones who are making themselves look silly because they're too drunk or shooting off at the mouth and making people feel uncomfortable. I've seen those situations both in the lower and upper bowl.

It's been said though that crowds in the past few years are very tense. We're expecting something to go wrong or to lose and you feel as if you're going to be disappointed and have the life sucked out of you. So what's the point of getting all worked up?

The last game I saw before the lockout in 2004, I remember clearly there being a much more light hearted feeling around the building because we expected to win. Even if they boys were down 2 - 0 after the first, there was never a tense feeling, always a feeling of "it's okay, we'll win" and the confidence showed in the crowd too!

What actually pisses me off about Leaf games is the "manufactured" support from the in house correspondents who have absolutely no personality. The collective groan that you sense when one of these people are shown on screen, I believe suck the energy out of the building. And it doesn't help that they use the same shtick every game!

Last night would've been an excellent opportunity to get some juices flowing - instead of showing the sponsors ad on the jumbotron, show a close up of Miller and get the crowd to get on him or the same with Kaleta. The arena and team have to do a better job of drawing support behind the team and "hating" the visitor.

But last nights game, at least I thought, the crowd support was there at all levels.

PS - I saw empty seats in the greens and purples when each period started - it's magnified in the platinums because it's on TV - but I felt at the start of each period the seats were 50% full. Also, you can CLEARLY see the queue of people waiting to get to their seats during play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad