The ACC is Just a Cocktail Bar/Sushi Restaurant

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
It's getting worse every year. I remember when the ACC first opened, maybe a few seats were empty at the opening faceoff, but within minutes the place would be packed. Fast forward to 2013 and the building looks like this for the first 10 minutes of every period:

empty%20seats_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

That is NOT an exaggeration, by the way. A large percentage of the lower bowl is completely empty for a full 50% of every period. The suits much prefer to nibble on their sushi, suck back a few martini's, and hob nob with their corporate clones instead of actually watching the game.

These people should just be cordoned off inside the platinum sushi bar, and let real fans buy those unused seats.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
What an original thought/post. You are the first person to bring this up on this forum.

It's been said a million times already - suits have been around since the 40s. You want the ACC to rock again? Start winning, the Philly game was a great example of a step forward.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Can we please sticky one of these threads?

As ACC1224 said, there is no way out there (like an announcement/buzzer) to know period has resumed. Let's blame MLSE than suits here.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
What an original thought/post. You are the first person to bring this up on this forum.

It's been said a million times already - suits have been around since the 40s. You want the ACC to rock again? Start winning, the Philly game was a great example of a step forward.

I've attended Leaf games since the 80s and it was NEVER like this. It's always been completely silent (it really is like a library or a funeral parlor in there), but there were never entire sections completely empty for over half the game. That really is going way too far.

These people should just go to a damn sushi restaurant if they aren't going to use the seats. Who goes to a hockey game to eat sushi? What is the point of such idiocy? Just so you can tell people you went to a Leaf game?

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
It's getting worse every year. I remember when the ACC first opened, maybe a few seats were empty at the opening faceoff, but within minutes the place would be packed. Fast forward to 2013 and the building looks like this for the first 10 minutes of every period:

That is NOT an exaggeration, by the way. A large percentage of the lower bowl is completely empty for a full 50% of every period. The suits much prefer to nibble on their sushi, suck back a few martini's, and hob nob with their corporate clones instead of actually watching the game.

These people should just be cordoned off inside the platinum sushi bar, and let real fans buy those unused seats.

rather than ***** about it here, get a job so you can afford those tickets and sit in the seats every second of every game

problem solved

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I've started notice that the people who complain the most are the people who haven't been, or rarely go.

Absolutely no context to the photo.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
I've started notice that the people who complain the most are the people who haven't been, or rarely go.

Really? How have you "noticed" that, considering you have no idea how often I go to games?

I don't have season tickets (nor would I want them) but I can guarantee I go more than 99% of the entire Toronto population and the atmosphere is horrendous.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
The "suits" argument is kind of dumb. Yes some are taking clients there -- whom are fans (they request these things).

But, many of them WORK downtown and have to go to work in suits... you work till 5, 6 pm... If you don't live close, you're not gonna go home and change. I've been to a Leafs game in a suit before.

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
welp apparently I don't know how to imbed youtube videos
!

Last edited by a moderator:

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
why would you give your clients/possible business Leaf tickets if you didnt know they liked the leafs.

The leafs since the lockout have been a joke around the city. I imagine people who go are leaf fans in some form, they're just conservative/casual (probably read about them, watch sometimes so they can update their facebook status with "Go leafs YEAH KESSEL" to receive likes)

bshaw

Jul 4, 2010
Hamilton
can we make some more threads about this topic? i think people should have thread making privledges provovked when making threads that are discussed every week or just plain stupid ones.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
The solution is for them to lower ticket prices

Why would they? It's not the tickets aren't SOLD, it's that the people in the lounges aren't making it back in time because there's no warning that the period is starting.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What exactly is the problem with a) wearing a suit b) enjoying sushi/drinking a martini c) hanging out in the lounge (that has been paid for) anyway? It's all just entertainment.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Keep the insults to yourselves.
Op is taking some flak.
If it is true though that the lower seats are primarily empty for close to ten minutes to start a period than that sucks. It will effect the teams performance believe it or not.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Op is taking some flak.
If it is true though that the lower seats are primarily empty for close to ten minutes to start a period than that sucks. It will effect the teams performance believe it or not.

It is till the first whistle which is usually a few minutes in at most unless the game is really flowing.

What exactly is the problem with a) wearing a suit b) enjoying sushi/drinking a martini c) hanging out in the lounge (that has been paid for) anyway? It's all just entertainment.

I LIKE suits, sushi, martinis and hanging out in lounges and I also like hockey. I'm sure I'm not the only person who likes these things so why are they getting harassed for it? I'm not sure.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
The atmosphere is identical in the top row as it is in the front row. These threads try to find a scapegoat every single time. Really dumb. To be honest, there are tons of photos all over the web of the leafs scoring goals and the crowd going nuts against the glass. they're also wearing suits.

Kinda reminds me of the wall street protests. Everyone there hates suits and the fact they make money. Funny thing is that the suit has nothing to do with who you are, it simply is a projection of professionalism. A lot of people in suits that everyone loves to are actually making very very little as business school interns. trust me, I'm speaking from personal experience here.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013

No problem at all, as long as the rest of the fans enjoy watching hockey in a dead-silent , half-empty arena.

I guess I should look on the bright side - the ACC is becoming a great place to read a good book or catch up on some homework.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
It is till the first whistle which is usually a few minutes in at most unless the game is really flowing.

That is simply untrue. Anyone can watch the next Leaf game for themselves and see rows and rows of empty seats well into every period.

And the "problem" is that the atmosphere in the building absolutely sucks. It's perfectly fine to love your suit, love your sushi, and love your martini. I just question the logic in going to a hockey game so you can nibble on sushi in a retaurant instead of... well... watch the game.

Here's a great article on the matter from today's Star:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...s_deserved_better_from_fans_team_feschuk.html

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Those who can afford the seats and purchase them, can do whatever they want with them, in my opinion. If they want to eat sushi and drink martinis, that's their prerogative as they've already shelled out the cash for the seats and the amenities that come with it.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto

They pay $400+ for those seats so we just have to deal with it.

Hey if we make the playoffs maybe they decline the purchase them and fans can get them and it can rock again.

yeah I know pipe dream.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
well technically you can buy all the seats in the ACC and not attend
would that work? haha

the audience on Saturday was pretty live tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad