Movies: The 91st Academy Awards - GDT

Which film will win Best Picture tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Good show overall. Went by pretty fast. Still think a host would've been better for the show. Diversity and female quotas have been met and far exceeded so there shouldn't be any complainers from those groups tomorrow. :D

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Weird, only thinknI can think of is that it's PC Oscar bait, but Roma would have filled that quota easily

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Surprised Green Book won. I really liked the movie a lot and the performances were top notch but it wasn't a film without flaws.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Had to make up ground on the racism front for nominating Black Panther by letting Green Book win.

How is Green Book racist? I seriously don’t understand that argument. Both characters had their moments to shine and helped each other grow. I’ll concede that some of the scenes in the South are pretty heavy-handed, but the relationship between the two main characters isn’t.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The LA Times said it's the worst winner in more than a decade.

member 151739

How is Green Book racist? I seriously don’t understand that argument. Both characters had their moments to shine and helped each other grow. I’ll concede that some of the scenes in the South are pretty heavy-handed, but the relationship between the two main characters isn’t.

You're welcome.

Green Book winning over BlacKkKlansman is an insult. And that's not say the latter should have won. Sorry to Bother You wasn't nominated, but that is also a film regarding race that is much, much better and more nuanced. Green Book is basic. It is insulting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
After 91 years of Academy Awards never choosing a non-English language film for Best Picture, if Roma couldn't win over Green Book this year, I'm starting to think the Academy might never choose one.

Or maybe they just really wanted to protest the fact that it's a Netflix film and wasn't widely available in theatres.

Weird, only thinknI can think of is that it's PC Oscar bait, but Roma would have filled that quota easily
How is Roma "PC oscar bait"? It's not overly sentimental and formulaic in the way that "oscar bait" movies typically are, and I don't see how it's politically correct, whatever that means in this context.

Last edited:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

You're welcome.

Green Book winning over BlacKkKlansman is an insult. And that's not say the latter should have won. Sorry to Bother You wasn't nominated, but that is also a film regarding race that is much, much better and more nuanced. Green Book is basic. It is insulting.

Dealing with issues of race in a heavy-handed way (of which I've acknowledged this film is guilty) is not the same as being racist. The word gets thrown around way too much.

I don't agree with this. Both characters learned from, and helped out, each other. I've also heard the "magical negro" argument against the film, and it can't really be both.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't agree with this. Both characters learned from, and helped out, each other. I've also heard the "magical negro" argument against the film, and it can't really be both.

Read the Jamil Smith article if you haven't. The fact that the film is told strictly from the white guy's point of view compounds the problem. Character identification extends one way and otherizes the black character at every turn.

Our children will watch this film in 50 years and groan.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Read the Jamil Smith article. The fact that the film is told strictly from the white guy's point of view compounds the problem. Character identification extends one way and otherizes the black character at every turn.

I read it. The movie is based on stories collected by the white guy's son, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that it's from his father's POV. And do you really think people like Octavia Spencer and Ali would become involved in something like this if it was legitimately racist? Green Book has its flaws, but to simply call it "racist" is lazy and inaccurate IMO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad