Movies: The 91st Academy Awards - GDT

Which film will win Best Picture tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I think Roma wins best picture but in terms of potential spoiler, I think Black Panther has a shot. With ranked balloting I can see it sneaking a victory if the cards fall right.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'd like to see The Favourite win just because it would be such a weird best picture winner. I think it's Lanthimos' worst movie, but it's still very good. Liked it basically just as much as Roma, which I think will win.

Didn't like Black Panther and have no interest in any other Bet Picture nominees outside of BlacKkKlansman, which I'll check out eventually.

Some nominations I would have really liked to see (won't say snubs because I haven't seen everything obviously):

Thomasin McKenzie (Leave No Trace) for Lead Actress
Ben Foster (Leave No Trace) for Lead Actor
Toni Colette (Hereditary) for Lead Actress
Steven Yeun (Burning) for Supporting Actor
Burning for Foreign Film and Cinematography
Hereditary for Original Score and "Reborn" for Original Song
Annihilation for a bunch of technical awards, particularly regarding sound. I think the song from the climax of the movie (The Alien) should be up for best original song
Mandy for Visual Effects

Not gonna go too much into Best Picture as my nominees would be drastically different, but I think it would have been cool to give Mission Impossible a nomination as a different look (as that seems to be a hot topic right now with Best Picture nominees). It's tough to imagine anyone not liking that movie.

Reactions: Zeppo

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Roma's a cinch for best foreign language film, so for that reason I don't think it will win the big one. It would be unprecedented. No double-dipping!

I have a (bad) feeling it's gonna be Bohemian Rhapsody.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I also think Roma isn't getting the big prize because enough voters will deem foreign film "enough."

Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book are love it or hate it with no in between and I wonder if the gap is too big to bridge.

So, if a spoiler is sliding in there, I am going to say it is A Star is Born. Pretty much the identical rationale for Black Panther but one is "serious" and "classical" and the other is "comic book." I will gamble on the side of snobbery.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Not in to the artsy fartsy stuff, but I hope Green Book wins some awards. That was a really good movie.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rooting for Roma, but fearing a Green Book upset. Curious to see what this gong show of an Academy Awards ends up looking like--will the Academy find new ways to shoot itself in the foot? Wouldn't bet against it.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I also think Roma isn't getting the big prize because enough voters will deem foreign film "enough."

Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book are love it or hate it with no in between and I wonder if the gap is too big to bridge.

So, if a spoiler is sliding in there, I am going to say it is A Star is Born. Pretty much the identical rationale for Black Panther but one is "serious" and "classical" and the other is "comic book." I will gamble on the side of snobbery.

Gambling on Academy snobbery is rarely a bad bet.

One theory that I heard that pushed me towards Black Panther is that it's a well liked film without many detractors, and if it doesn't win Best Picture, it may end up empty handed. Costume Design is its only real shot and no guarantee.

Given how little consensus there's been through awards season, a scenario where every major picture ends up with something seems like an reasonable outcome.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I wouldn't mind Black Panther winning to see the hilarity that would ensue.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
will be interesting to see if Roma wins. It was netflix back and released into theaters 2 days before they streamed it to allow it qualify

Sep 19, 2008
Hope it's streamlined without the mindless prattle that goes on between presenters. Normally that is where a host would make a quip or do a skit like Ellen's selfie skit

Presenters went a bit too long the first time so hopefully these folk are shorter

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Damn that dress was nice! :DD

Also she got the get off the stage music unlike the previous person who was allowed to speak as long as she wanted. Not surprised. o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->