Movies: The 91st Academy Awards - GDT

Which film will win Best Picture tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think the filming of Roma was gorgeous. The story was just "meh", frankly. I didn't find it overly compelling. I think Roma was an exercise in utterly incredible film-making but certainly not storytelling. I think it won the two important categories it deserved: Best Cinematography and Best Director. Roma looks incredible on my LG OLED. Unbelievable, gorgeous, and somehow lush even as a black and white movie. To do that is unreal to me.

But I just cannot fathom it being best picture. I saw all of the Best Picture nominees and Roma, as a whole, would've been towards the bottom. I had The Favourite as my favorite (no pun intended) with Green Book at #2.

Roma's story as a whole was pretty damn derivative if you ask me.

That’s fine, I understand it’s not for everyone. The Favourite was great, I agree.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That’s fine, I understand it’s not for everyone. The Favourite was great, I agree.

I have to say that The Favourite would've been the most unique movie to win since Birdman. And I loved Birdman, so it was only natural to love The Favourite! LOL! :)

I was pretty shocked to not see either supporting actress in The Favourite win. I wonder if they ended up splitting the vote, frankly.

Reactions: le_sean

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Green Book looks corny but considering how much the blue check market Twitterati hate it I am glad it won.

Not corny at all. Great f***ing movie. A lot of fun moments, a lot of heartfelt moments, and the opposite of the "white savior" stuff that people tend to complain about considering it was a "black savior", all things considered. Really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

Sep 19, 2008
Would hope that this success leads to future Oscar ceremonies without a host. The host is unnecessary. Just mindless prattle and silly skits now. The only good host the last few years was Chris Rock who was hilarious.

Without the host, you have "Multiple hosts" with the presenters, as well as a more stream-lined approach. You go to this category, announce the winner, have another category straight after. No down time. Just punch the categories out.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I am going to seek out The Favourite. That woman's speech when she won best actress was my favourite moment of the night.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I am going to seek out The Favourite. That woman's speech when she won best actress was my favourite moment of the night.

It's a fantastic movie. Olivia Colman was divine in it. The movie was utterly hilarious in both terrible and dark ways at times. The acting, up and down the roster, is superb. And it's all based on quite a bit of truth from the events. Nicholas Hoult's performance was criminally underrated. Some seriously weird stuff thrown in that just made the movie super quirky and fun at the same time as being a period piece.

And obviously the Emma Stone topless scene exists as well.

member 151739

D0LISaQX4AAFBnT.jpg:large

What can I say but yikes?

Reactions: ArGarBarGar
Sep 19, 2008
If there is a lesson to be learned, it's that a good Oscar is a quick one. Just do what you came here to do and save money on the host.
Having looked through historical Oscar times they once went as short as 2 hours (the first one was 15 minutes :laugh:)

This was also the shortest one in some time because of no host. There's no reason it should go past 11 PM honestly.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I wasn't the one to call it racist. Whether it's racist or not I guess depends on the perspective, but that's not the framing I want to use.

Telling the story from the point of view of that man was the filmmaker's decision. And it's a bad decision, considering the sensitivity of the topic and what we know about Shirley's family's reaction.

Imagine a film made from Shirley's point of view and how different it may have been. We have enough movies about race told by white people, so one has to wonder a) why tread the same ground and b) why reward the same damn nonsense?

Gotcha, my mistake. I agree that a film centered around Shirley's POV would've been interesting but again, the filmmakers got the stories from Tony's son, and from what I've read Shirley appears to have been a very private guy who didn't share much with his own family. In the end, both characters and actors were given ample time to shine (Ali won a friggin Oscar!), so it didn't bother me.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Saturday Night Fever: The Original Movie Sound Track
52nd Street
Christopher Cross
Double Fantasy
Toto IV
Thriller
Can't Slow Down
No Jacket Required

Those are 8 consecutive Grammy Albums of the Year. The Stones and Led Zep combined have 1 nomination for Some Girls and 0 wins. Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption. Who cares who wins. It just doesn't matter.

While they're certainly not an indicator of quality, an Academy Award (or even a nomination) can open doors for talented people. Someone like Lanthimos for example will probably be given a nice chunk of change and the freedom to do whatever the hell he wants for his next film, and that's awesome.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I can't help but feel like Green Book winning was the Academy telling "Film Twitter" to go f*** itself..

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Also would've been yet another reason a Roma win would've been very significant (on-top of the Netflix factor).

Very true. And to be fair to the BP winner, while Linda Cardellini was given the normally thankless role of "supportive wife," I thought she gave a nice performance and her scenes with Viggo really added to the film.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by the Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
While they're certainly not an indicator of quality, an Academy Award (or even a nomination) can open doors for talented people. Someone like Lanthimos for example will probably be given a nice chunk of change and the freedom to do whatever the hell he wants for his next film, and that's awesome.
It would be awesome if those opportunities were given based on quality alone and not meaningless awards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad