Movies: The 91st Academy Awards - GDT

Which film will win Best Picture tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I didn't walk out of Bohemian Rhapsody with any auspices of an Oscar for Rami Malek's Freddie Mercury.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

I can't help but feel like Green Book winning was the Academy telling "Film Twitter" to go **** itself..

Yep. A lot of the advanced reporting on anonymous voters expressed this, basically, "stop telling me what to like and why." There is undoubtedly genuine support for the film, but definitely feels like there's an element of "up yours" as well. Still a lot of grumpy old white dudes in the Academy. I don't think I'm going out on a limb guessing that they're the largest bloc behind Green Book.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
With talk of how the academy award opens up opportunities for those behind it, what do people expect to happen with Peter Farrelly?

This was his first foray into drama, but leading up to it, him and his brothers comedy films were on the steady decline.

I enjoyed Green Book enough, but I don't feel like there's going to be a big contingent of people that are going to be anticipating his next release.

I think he may get a bit more opportunity to pitch his ideas to studios but probably still struggles to get a film made without a strong concept or star attached.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Very true. And to be fair to the BP winner, while Linda Cardellini was given the normally thankless role of "supportive wife," I thought she gave a nice performance and her scenes with Viggo really added to the film.

Always been a Linda Cardellini fan (I guess Freaks and Geeks will do that to a kid), so it was nice to hear her name come up as much as it did.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
With talk of how the academy award opens up opportunities for those behind it, what do people expect to happen with Peter Farrelly?

This was his first foray into drama, but leading up to it, him and his brothers comedy films were on the steady decline.

I enjoyed Green Book enough, but I don't feel like there's going to be a big contingent of people that are going to be anticipating his next release.

I think he may get a bit more opportunity to pitch his ideas to studios but probably still struggles to get a film made without a strong concept or star attached.

This isn't unprecedented. Jerry Zucker (one of the Zucker brothers of Airplane/Top Secret/Naked Gun fame) went serious and directed Ghost in the early 1990s. Got a bunch of award nominations out of it. Stayed serious, went on to do First Knight a few years later ... then nothing. I know I'm talking about 30 years ago or so, but the parallels are hard to ignore. Unlike Adam McKay who has quickly established a clear style and POV to help distance himself from his comedy roots, I just see Farrelly as a fairly non-descript director dude. He'll have some cache to do something he's excited about next (I assume) and then may just fade away.

Reactions: discostu

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
How is Roma "PC oscar bait"? It's not overly sentimental and formulaic in the way that "oscar bait" movies typically are, and I don't see how it's politically correct, whatever that means in this context.
Didn't mean it like that, just meant that there are various social issues present in Roma that the Oscars usually lap up. It's not a movie designed to be "Oscar bait", it just features some qualities from those types of movies.

Reactions: Howard Beale

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

While his work behind the camera certainly leaves a lot to be desired, I think Farrelly could find a nice niche as a dramedy writer. Green Book was littered with funny moments, and well all know his history with comedies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
While his work behind the camera certainly leaves a lot to be desired, I think Farrelly could find a nice niche as a dramedy writer. Green Book was littered with funny moments, and well all know his history with comedies.

Maybe. But, those types of movie's (adult skewing light dramas), don't get made much anymore.

We'll see. With the talk of the value of these awards being the freedom it brings, it made me wonder where we may see him.

Especially since a director like Lanthimos probably has a lot easier time getting a move made without the BP or director win. Even someone like Bo Burnham, whose film didn't get a nomination but cleaned up at a lot of other award ceremonies and critic lists, has a fair amount of influence for their next project.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You mentioned that you feel black people can learn from this movie. I'm reluctant to jump into this thread but I'm trying to figure out what you feel this movie have to teach black people about race relations?

I wasn't really referring to anything in particular, but they're called "race relations" because whites have trouble relating to blacks and blacks have trouble relating to whites. By definition, there are things that both can learn about the other. A lot of people these days seem to believe that the burden of race relations falls entirely on white shoulders, as though solving our racial issues comes down to nothing more than educating the whites. It's very important for whites to see things from the black perspective, but that can't be the only exchange of understanding if we're to ever heal relations, IMO.

Agreed. Its critics wanted Green Book to be a different movie that told a different story, rather than appreciate the actual story it was telling. Green Book was, at its core, a story of the complex relationship between two very different men. The setting references America's racist history, but the story doesn't stop and settle there. It follows the arc of the two main characters, not the larger arc of American racial relationships. Those who wanted a history lesson should watch other films. This was a movie about friendship.

Well said. It's like complaining that Rain Man, especially with its comedic moments, wasn't a serious examination of autism. It wasn't trying to be one. It was a comedy-drama about friendship that happened to use something that isn't a laughing matter to propel it. That made it poignant, and, by being so accessible, you could argue that it did more for the public awareness and understanding of autism than many much more serious campaigns put together. That's not to compare that aspect to Green Book (which certainly won't have an impact anything like that), but just to point out that there can be value in light treatments of serious subjects.

Last edited:

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Didn't mean it like that, just meant that there are various social issues present in Roma that the Oscars usually lap up. It's not a movie designed to be "Oscar bait", it just features some qualities from those types of movies.
Fair enough!

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Liked the diversity
Liked the Olivia Colman win and the wonderful speech
Liked the Queen bit at the start
Didn't like Green Book over Roma--but it is the Oscars after all

TIFF's People Choice Award again proves fateful. When Green Book won the award at the end of the festival, my reaction was, jesus, that's not even going to get nominated. :laugh:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
D0LISaQX4AAFBnT.jpg:large

What can I say but yikes?

2012 - The Artist
2003 - Chicago

I get the point but I hate it when they leave films out.

Reactions: discostu

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That graph of speaking volume in Best Picture winners doesn't say anything about the Academy unless you also show the breakdowns for all other films. I would bet that that those results are fairly typical of films, in general. I wouldn't say that it's necessarily a bad thing, either, since men simply tend to gravitate to the types of drama that make for good movies. For example, men make up 84% of the enlisted U.S. Military and 76% of the U.S. House of Representatives, and war and national politics are two popular movie subjects. Spy games and corporate business are two others, and those likely have similarly skewed percentages. Then, of course, you have the vast majority of historical subjects are naturally going to be male-centric. In fact, half of those 24 Best Picture winners are historical. Surely, no one would hold it against Gladiator and Braveheart, for example, for having few female speaking parts. Still, a graph like that might be a good starting point for an examination of whether the situation could be improved going forward, but I'd be wary of overreacting to it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->