Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
1st round goalies scare me. Lots of pressure on them to succeed early, and as we all know, goalies are voodoo.

Interestingly enough the majority of goalies come from the first 3 rounds of the draft. I don't think goalies are as voodoo as they are made out to be. You just have to know what to look for in a good prospect and then let them develop.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was wondering the same thing. This might be a good draft to grab a goalie for the future.

Cossa looks really interesting. Though how much of that is team play vs player ability?

Cossa is damn good but his team is solid in front of him. He's drawing a lot of comparisons to Ben Bishop, size being the main thing there. Bishops biggest downfall has always been his health so if Cossa can stay on the right track he should have a good chance of being an NHL goalie.

He plays the typical big man goalie style. Gets into butterfly often and seals the lower half of the ice well. His height makes it tough to go high on him and won't be the type to flop around a lot to make saves but he's ridiculously quick for a big man. He is more of a pure positional guy than athletic, basically if he see's the puck he's likely going to stop it. Cross crease passes are the way to beat him, but very few goalies are strong in that regard. I wouldn't be opposed to him at all at 17 (18), I do feel like it's not a major need to add a high end goalie prospect yet. But he's in my top 20.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's interesting to me that we are starting to see some kids born and raised in Winnipeg that grew up huge Jets fans. Seth Jarvis last year and Carson Lambos this year. Would be interesting to get a kid into the org who grew up cheering for the team and who watched games in the arena and whose favourite players were Jets. Saw an interview with Lambos and he said his favourite player growing up was Buff.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
It's interesting to me that we are starting to see some kids born and raised in Winnipeg that grew up huge Jets fans. Seth Jarvis last year and Carson Lambos this year. Would be interesting to get a kid into the org who grew up cheering for the team and who watched games in the arena and whose favourite players were Jets. Saw an interview with Lambos and he said his favourite player growing up was Buff.

.......................................... *has existential crisis about how old he's getting*

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interestingly enough the majority of goalies come from the first 3 rounds of the draft. I don't think goalies are as voodoo as they are made out to be. You just have to know what to look for in a good prospect and then let them develop.
I missed this when you posted and interesting take. Most of us have no real way to evaluate goaltender prospects so the easy default is they are voodoo.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This is NOT going to be a fair draft for the Winnipeg Jets. There is only 1 high rated RHD Brandt Clarke who will be gone in the top 10 with Corson Ceulemans being the only RHD who may go in the 1st round. I have read he could go anywhere from 18 to 28. We have #17 pick so it wouldn't be that much of a reach.

If Winnipeg intends on filling their biggest weakness he is the most realistic option. If Cheveldayoff takes the best player available, especially, someone who falls to them at #17, I would be happy.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Can any of you prospect gurus shed some light on Aatu Raty? Once thought to be the #1 pick in this draft, his stock continues to fall.

Is he someone we should entertain at #18?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can any of you prospect gurus shed some light on Aatu Raty? Once thought to be the #1 pick in this draft, his stock continues to fall.

Is he someone we should entertain at #18?

I have him currently ranked 36. I think he's got a shot at being an NHLer but he took a major drop for me this year. He only took a small step forward this year and many assumed he would take the big leap. If he's available and the Jets think he's our pick then I have no issues with that but he isn't on my radar at 18 (17)

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I have him currently ranked 36. I think he's got a shot at being an NHLer but he took a major drop for me this year. He only took a small step forward this year and many assumed he would take the big leap. If he's available and the Jets think he's our pick then I have no issues with that but he isn't on my radar at 18 (17)
Any reason for the drop? Did his game just not grow compared to the other prospects?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Any reason for the drop? Did his game just not grow compared to the other prospects?

Yeah he just didn't really have a very good season. Watched a few of his u20 and Liiga games and he just didn't scream 1st line C to me. I think you can probably project him as more of a middle 6 kind of player as the upside currently. He was left of this years WJC squad in favour of younger players. I think he might be more of a longer term project. The Armia comparison is pretty apt. He's a good but not great skater, has good hands and can finish but isn't much of a playmaker. Has a decent defensive stick and plays physical and battles decently in the corners. I think if you draft him you are looking at more of a 3rd line player than can play the shutdown role and chip in offensively, but might be able to play up in the lineup at 2C if need be.

Reactions: snowkiddin

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup, just gotta hope for some timely injuries and absences.
That is pretty much how it goes. Unless you are an elite top 10 prospect who is given a clear path, you have to wait for an opportunity and prove yourself, but to think this doesn't happen from Bantam up through the junior ranks into the minors up to the NHL is to never have played competitive hockey.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That is pretty much how it goes. Unless you are an elite top 10 prospect who is given a clear path, you have to wait for an opportunity and prove yourself, but to think this doesn't happen from Bantam up through the junior ranks into the minors up to the NHL is to never have played competitive hockey.

With the Jets for sure. Thankfully we've had some "fortunate"(for the player coming in) injuries and absences that allowed elite talent that was stuck behind a gud pro an opportunity to show what they can do.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think he hit a wall emotionally. The pressure of being a future 1 OA got to him. He lost his confidence on the ice and actually regressed.
I believe he has the talent and physical gifts of a top five pick. The trick will be understanding how he thinks and whether he'll grow past his struggles.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he hit a wall emotionally. The pressure of being a future 1 OA got to him. He lost his confidence on the ice and actually regressed.
I believe he has the talent and physical gifts of a top five pick. The trick will be understanding how he thinks and whether he'll grow past his struggles.

I was never really sold on him as a #1 from the get go. Power, Hughes, Clarke, Guenther and Johnson were always more intriguing. I'm also not all that high on Beniers either but I'm likely in the minority there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad