Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I figured since most of Europe and a few junior leagues are well under way that it's time for the 2021 draft thread. It's looking likely that this draft may be delayed a bit depending on how the season goes but never the less it is likely to happen.

Normally we'd start out a draft thread with some preliminary rankings but since a good chunk of hockey is already underway I think it's more apt to start with a pre-season top 32. Yep that's right top 32, as Seattle will get their first taste of the draft, picking no later than 6th if the lotto balls don't fall their way.

As of now, I'm dubbing this draft the LHD Draft because there are a boat load of potential high end LHD's. So with that being said let's get on with it. I'll kick it off with my top 16 for tonight, I'll post my next 16 when I get a chance.

1. Owen Power - LHD - 6'5 - 214 - Chicago, USHL
The towering offensive defencemen finished the season as the highest scoring defencemen in the USHL last year. An absolute transition monster with a bomb of a shot from the point. Power skates extremely well and with plenty of.. power. He's committed to what is likely to be a "power"house for years to come at Univ. of Michigan. Players of his size, mobility and strength are a rare breed and he will likely command a lot of attention this year.

2. Brandt Clarke - RHD - 6'1 - 181 - Barrie, OHL
Clarke is an exceptional skater, passer and stickhandler. His end to end rushes are something to behold and the chances he creates for himself and teammates are innumerable. He plays a very similar style of game to Cale Makar and because he's a RHD he will likely be a coveted asset on draft day. He's also big enough to handle himself in his own end and can make some incredible breakout plays under pressure.

3. Carson Lambos - LHD - 6'1 - 201 - Winnipeg, WHL
Almost like he was seperated from Brandt Clarke at birth Lambos is a very similar breed to Clarke but on the left side. An incredible skater, who can rush end to end with the best of them. Where Clarke might be a little bit better on the offensive side of the puck, Lambos is a little bit better on the defensive side. He uses his size and stick to effectively shut down opposing players and likes to play more on the physical side not being afraid to make a hit to stop a play.

4. Simon Edvinsson - LHD - 6'4 - 185 - Frölunda, SHL

Edvinsson is another big but smooth skating defencemen that can cover a lot of ground quickly with his excellent 4 way mobility and reach. He is incrddibly tough to beat one on one and can shut opponents down with ease with how well he maneuvers the defensive zone. He has a big shot from the point but that isn't really where his bread and butter is at offensively. He is excellent in transition the puck on the breakout often threading tape to tape passes right in the bread basket. And even in the offensive zone he displays high end vision to create plays. For now he holds down my 4 spot we'll see if he can stay there.

5. Cole Sillinger - C - 6'0 - 187 - Medicine Hat, WHL
I met this lad when he was very young, my dad used to work with Cole's uncle. His dad was kind enough to give me a signed rookie card and poster I still have in my collection. If I would have known his son would be this good, I might have asked for his auto as well. Cole isn't the most gifted skater, but when you have the brain to process the game like he does you don't have to be. Skating isn't necessarily a weakness, but it does need work. His shot though is fantastic and his stick handling is already at a very high level. The way he can change the angle on his shooting combined with his stickhandling makes him a threat from anywhere to score. If he can stick at center going forward he could a strong candidate to go high in the draft.

6. Kent Johnson - C - 6'1 - 165 - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA
Probably the most technical and creative player in the entire class Johnson stood shoulders above his competition in the BCHL last year pacing the next high scoring player in the league by 30 points. A strong candidate to take that 1st overall position with his combination of speed, stickhandling, creativity and sheer will to score. I have him at 6 for now, but watch for him to climb the rankings with a strong season on... oh look the University of Michigan. Whoever is recruiting for them deserves a bonus. He's a bit slight so he may have find some troubles in his first NCAA season but look beyond that and watch whether he is able to create like he did in the BCHL and you might see someone who could one day rocket up re-draft lists.

7. Luke Hughes - LHD - 6'1 - 176 - U18, USDP

I wonder if the other two Hughes brothers are wondering why their brother is somehow already 6'1, 176 at 17 years old? No matter Luke is cut from the same cloth. An exceptional skater, who excels in transition and has incredible vision to go a long with it. What makes him even more special is his ability to use his size to separate defenders from the puck, something his brothers have had issues with. With a good season with the USDP he could look to really take off in the NCAA like his defender brother before him. Let's have a look where he is going... yup you guessed it the University of Michigan.

8. Dylan Guenther - LW/RW - 6'1 - 170 - Edmonton, WHL
With silky smooth hands, great skating and the ability to finish both in close and at a distance Guenther is my pick for the best pure scorer of this class so far. His ability to get puck to the front of the net is uncanny and I think that's really his main goal when stepping onto the ice. He can sometimes over stickhandle himself into bad areas though and his play away from the puck when he's not looking to score could use some work. But he already has all the tools to be a scorer at the NHL level.

9. Fabian Lysell - RW/LW - 5'10 - 176 - Frölunda, SHL
Lysell is a dynamic and quick moving forward always pushing the pace to the offensive zone. Somewhat of a north-south player he tends to drive straight to the net which for good or bad seems to work for him. He has quick hands, quick feet, a quick shot and a never quit motor.

10. Logan Stankoven - RW - 5'8 - 170 - Kamloops, WHL
Speaking of kids with a never quite motor, Stankoven should rank just as high on that list. The diminutive forward with the absolutely filthy release. His ability to weave through traffic looks effortless and his relentlessness on forechecking and stripping pucks from players that seem like they are twice his size is something to watch in person.

11. Matthew Beniers - C - 6'1 - 176 - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA
The only 2021 eligible to play on the U18 squad all year last season. An excellent two-way center who skates well and displays a high IQ in all zones. Beniers is the prototypical USDP center. His ceiling might not be as high as many of the other centers in this class but his floor seems to scream NHLer in some capacity. Will be interesting to see where he goes as players of this type are often times passed over for flashier forwards. Make no mistake though Beniers has plenty of flash and speed to his game. He'll be able to showcase that flash at... the University of Michigan next year. The only question is, is there enough ice time for all these kids over there?

12. Samu Tuomaala - RW/LW - 5'10 - 165 - Kärpät, Liiga
Some may consider it sacrilegious that I have Samu ahead of Kärpät teammate Raty but I have to say I've been a little bit more impressed with his game in recent viewings. A shoot first winger with probably the best pure shot out of any Euro in the class. Tuomaala is a force when he can find open space to get his shot off. He works hard on the cycle to keep possession in the offensive zone and boasts a myriad of shooting tools to get the puck by defenders and the netminder.

13. Aatu Räty - C - 6'1 - 181 - Kärpät, Liiga
Raty is projected by many to be the #1 ranked player heading into this season but I have to say I don't quite see it. He has great offensive and defensive instincts with an NHL ready shot to go along with it. But there just seems to be something missing in his game. Maybe it was the pressure of being a consensus #1 early that got to him or maybe he's battling through something right now but it just seems like he's fighting the game a little bit recently.

14. Zachary L'Heureux - C - 5'11 - 196 - Moncton, QMJHL
L'Heureux is a fiesty player who often finds himself in the thick of it both before and after whistles. He's very strong for his size and uses that strength to his advantage along with his skating to be a force to be reckoned with in a small package He has the potential to be one of those pain in your butt forwards that seems to find a way to get the puck in the net for his team.

15. Jesper Wallstedt - G - 6'3 - 215 - Luleå, SHL
Not many goaltenders make their SHL debut at 17 and provide the results that Wallstedt has. He's already made the jump this season and it's safe to say he isn't looking back now. His compsure is incredible and he rarely end up out of position. There aren't many weaknesses in this 17 year olds game and it's only looking up from here. In a time where drafting goalies high is cause for fear, Wallstedt makes a case for people having nothing to fear with his game at all.

16. Mason MacTavish - C - 6'1 - 196 - Peterborough
Rounding out the top 16 is the OHL sniper. Very likely would have finished this season with 30+ goals before the stoppage. MacTavish boasts a hard and heavy NHL ready shot along with great on ice vision and adept offensive instincts. Centered the Petes 3rd line last year but it's very likely he could take on 1C duties there. He's very strong along the boards and protects the puck extremely well. Look for him to climb the rankings with a strong scoring season.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I figured since most of Europe and a few junior leagues are well under way that it's time for the 2021 draft thread. It's looking likely that this draft may be delayed a bit depending on how the season goes but never the less it is likely to happen.

Normally we'd start out a draft thread with some preliminary rankings but since a good chunk of hockey is already underway I think it's more apt to start with a pre-season top 32. Yep that's right top 32, as Seattle will get their first taste of the draft, picking no later than 6th if the lotto balls don't fall their way.

As of now, I'm dubbing this draft the LHD Draft because there are a boat load of potential high end LHD's. So with that being said let's get on with it. I'll kick it off with my top 16 for tonight, I'll post my next 16 when I get a chance.

1. Owen Power - LHD - 6'5 - 214 - Chicago, USHL
The towering offensive defencemen finished the season as the highest scoring defencemen in the USHL last year. An absolute transition monster with a bomb of a shot from the point. Power skates extremely well and with plenty of.. power. He's committed to what is likely to be a "power"house for years to come at Univ. of Michigan. Players of his size, mobility and strength are a rare breed and he will likely command a lot of attention this year.

2. Brandt Clarke - RHD - 6'1 - 181 - Barrie, OHL
Clarke is an exceptional skater, passer and stickhandler. His end to end rushes are something to behold and the chances he creates for himself and teammates are innumerable. He plays a very similar style of game to Cale Makar and because he's a RHD he will likely be a coveted asset on draft day. He's also big enough to handle himself in his own end and can make some incredible breakout plays under pressure.

3. Carson Lambos - LHD - 6'1 - 201 - Winnipeg, WHL
Almost like he was seperated from Brandt Clarke at birth Lambos is a very similar breed to Clarke but on the left side. An incredible skater, who can rush end to end with the best of them. Where Clarke might be a little bit better on the offensive side of the puck, Lambos is a little bit better on the defensive side. He uses his size and stick to effectively shut down opposing players and likes to play more on the physical side not being afraid to make a hit to stop a play.

4. Simon Edvinsson - LHD - 6'4 - 185 - Frölunda, SHL

Edvinsson is another big but smooth skating defencemen that can cover a lot of ground quickly with his excellent 4 way mobility and reach. He is incrddibly tough to beat one on one and can shut opponents down with ease with how well he maneuvers the defensive zone. He has a big shot from the point but that isn't really where his bread and butter is at offensively. He is excellent in transition the puck on the breakout often threading tape to tape passes right in the bread basket. And even in the offensive zone he displays high end vision to create plays. For now he holds down my 4 spot we'll see if he can stay there.

5. Cole Sillinger - C - 6'0 - 187 - Medicine Hat, WHL
I met this lad when he was very young, my dad used to work with Cole's uncle. His dad was kind enough to give me a signed rookie card and poster I still have in my collection. If I would have known his son would be this good, I might have asked for his auto as well. Cole isn't the most gifted skater, but when you have the brain to process the game like he does you don't have to be. Skating isn't necessarily a weakness, but it does need work. His shot though is fantastic and his stick handling is already at a very high level. The way he can change the angle on his shooting combined with his stickhandling makes him a threat from anywhere to score. If he can stick at center going forward he could a strong candidate to go high in the draft.

6. Kent Johnson - C - 6'1 - 165 - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA
Probably the most technical and creative player in the entire class Johnson stood shoulders above his competition in the BCHL last year pacing the next high scoring player in the league by 30 points. A strong candidate to take that 1st overall position with his combination of speed, stickhandling, creativity and sheer will to score. I have him at 6 for now, but watch for him to climb the rankings with a strong season on... oh look the University of Michigan. Whoever is recruiting for them deserves a bonus. He's a bit slight so he may have find some troubles in his first NCAA season but look beyond that and watch whether he is able to create like he did in the BCHL and you might see someone who could one day rocket up re-draft lists.

7. Luke Hughes - LHD - 6'1 - 176 - U18, USDP

I wonder if the other two Hughes brothers are wondering why their brother is somehow already 6'1, 176 at 17 years old? No matter Luke is cut from the same cloth. An exceptional skater, who excels in transition and has incredible vision to go a long with it. What makes him even more special is his ability to use his size to separate defenders from the puck, something his brothers have had issues with. With a good season with the USDP he could look to really take off in the NCAA like his defender brother before him. Let's have a look where he is going... yup you guessed it the University of Michigan.

8. Dylan Guenther - LW/RW - 6'1 - 170 - Edmonton, WHL
With silky smooth hands, great skating and the ability to finish both in close and at a distance Guenther is my pick for the best pure scorer of this class so far. His ability to get puck to the front of the net is uncanny and I think that's really his main goal when stepping onto the ice. He can sometimes over stickhandle himself into bad areas though and his play away from the puck when he's not looking to score could use some work. But he already has all the tools to be a scorer at the NHL level.

9. Fabian Lysell - RW/LW - 5'10 - 176 - Frölunda, SHL
Lysell is a dynamic and quick moving forward always pushing the pace to the offensive zone. Somewhat of a north-south player he tends to drive straight to the net which for good or bad seems to work for him. He has quick hands, quick feet, a quick shot and a never quit motor.

10. Logan Stankoven - RW - 5'8 - 170 - Kamloops, WHL
Speaking of kids with a never quite motor, Stankoven should rank just as high on that list. The diminutive forward with the absolutely filthy release. His ability to weave through traffic looks effortless and his relentlessness on forechecking and stripping pucks from players that seem like they are twice his size is something to watch in person.

11. Matthew Beniers - C - 6'1 - 176 - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA
The only 2021 eligible to play on the U18 squad all year last season. An excellent two-way center who skates well and displays a high IQ in all zones. Beniers is the prototypical USDP center. His ceiling might not be as high as many of the other centers in this class but his floor seems to scream NHLer in some capacity. Will be interesting to see where he goes as players of this type are often times passed over for flashier forwards. Make no mistake though Beniers has plenty of flash and speed to his game. He'll be able to showcase that flash at... the University of Michigan next year. The only question is, is there enough ice time for all these kids over there?

12. Samu Tuomaala - RW/LW - 5'10 - 165 - Kärpät, Liiga
Some may consider it sacrilegious that I have Samu ahead of Kärpät teammate Raty but I have to say I've been a little bit more impressed with his game in recent viewings. A shoot first winger with probably the best pure shot out of any Euro in the class. Tuomaala is a force when he can find open space to get his shot off. He works hard on the cycle to keep possession in the offensive zone and boasts a myriad of shooting tools to get the puck by defenders and the netminder.

13. Aatu Räty - C - 6'1 - 181 - Kärpät, Liiga
Raty is projected by many to be the #1 ranked player heading into this season but I have to say I don't quite see it. He has great offensive and defensive instincts with an NHL ready shot to go along with it. But there just seems to be something missing in his game. Maybe it was the pressure of being a consensus #1 early that got to him or maybe he's battling through something right now but it just seems like he's fighting the game a little bit recently.

14. Zachary L'Heureux - C - 5'11 - 196 - Moncton, QMJHL
L'Heureux is a fiesty player who often finds himself in the thick of it both before and after whistles. He's very strong for his size and uses that strength to his advantage along with his skating to be a force to be reckoned with in a small package He has the potential to be one of those pain in your butt forwards that seems to find a way to get the puck in the net for his team.

15. Jesper Wallstedt - G - 6'3 - 215 - Luleå, SHL
Not many goaltenders make their SHL debut at 17 and provide the results that Wallstedt has. He's already made the jump this season and it's safe to say he isn't looking back now. His compsure is incredible and he rarely end up out of position. There aren't many weaknesses in this 17 year olds game and it's only looking up from here. In a time where drafting goalies high is cause for fear, Wallstedt makes a case for people having nothing to fear with his game at all.

16. Mason MacTavish - C - 6'1 - 196 - Peterborough
Rounding out the top 16 is the OHL sniper. Very likely would have finished this season with 30+ goals before the stoppage. MacTavish boasts a hard and heavy NHL ready shot along with great on ice vision and adept offensive instincts. Centered the Petes 3rd line last year but it's very likely he could take on 1C duties there. He's very strong along the boards and protects the puck extremely well. Look for him to climb the rankings with a strong scoring season.
Stankoven is a generational name.

Zachary the Happy One is up there.

In terms of actual playing ability, I'm high on Raty, looks great every time I watch him.

Lambos would be a dream.

Just want to say thank you Daximus, this is great and I really appreciate what you bring to these boards.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is shaping up to be a weird draft. There are decent odds that some of these kids won't have played much this year.

Tournaments like the WJHC will be weighted mighty high.

Yeah I wonder how things will go. The Q and USDP has already started up and it looks like OHL and WHL are full steam ahead for December. Not sure what is happening with the USHL and NCAA.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yeah I wonder how things will go. The Q and USDP has already started up and it looks like OHL and WHL are full steam ahead for December. Not sure what is happening with the USHL and NCAA.
I'm not banking on the OHL or WHL playing. These leagues will be hurting without crowds, and the "No contact" rule for the OHL adds another wrinkle. We should get the WJHCs in a bubble. The rest, I'm not loving the odds.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not banking on the OHL or WHL playing. These leagues will be hurting without crowds, and the "No contact" rule for the OHL adds another wrinkle. We should get the WJHCs in a bubble. The rest, I'm not loving the odds.

and so the journey begins again.....thx Dax!!

Now to the business at hand....Its going to be a mess and I have no idea how the kids development will suffer and how that might impact this draft??

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
and so the journey begins again.....thx Dax!!

Now to the business at hand....Its going to be a mess and I have no idea how the kids development will suffer and how that might impact this draft??

It really sucks for some of these kids because a lot of kids could have had big years and it's looking more and more like that won't happen.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
It seems like the WHL is starting up in December but I don't know what the US teams are going to be able to do. I heard those teams might end up playing out of Calgary or Kelowna.

To the draft. I really like those 3 top D but I think Kent Johnson will take over the number 1 spot in a normal year but who knows now. Owen Power is a bit of Pronger reborn and Clarke and Lambos are new age D men so I can see them going in that order. Its funny that you are down on Raty but I have been hearing he is already falling

Reactions: John Agar

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It seems like the WHL is starting up in December but I don't know what the US teams are going to be able to do. I heard those teams might end up playing out of Calgary or Kelowna.

To the draft. I really like those 3 top D but I think Kent Johnson will take over the number 1 spot in a normal year but who knows now. Owen Power is a bit of Pronger reborn and Clarke and Lambos are new age D men so I can see them going in that order. Its funny that you are down on Raty but I have been hearing he is already falling

I really like Kent's game but I wonder how hard it's going to be to get ice time in Michigan. Whenever it is that they start up. That squad is deep already and will continue to get deeper as time goes on. Lots of kids heading there and only so much ice time to go around.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So is skating with size finally starting to show? These are kids that grew up watching the game transition to that style on the back end.

It looks like it. Big guys like Power and Edvinsson can really move. I really like Clarke, Lambos and Hughes as they move like 5'10 dmen but they have the size to handle physicality better. The D in this draft look pretty damn good so far. And despite it not having a Matthew's or MacKinnon type player at the top it has plenty of depth at all positions.

Reactions: kellhunter

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It looks like it. Big guys like Power and Edvinsson can really move. I really like Clarke, Lambos and Hughes as they move like 5'10 dmen but they have the size to handle physicality better. The D in this draft look pretty damn good so far. And despite it not having a Matthew's or MacKinnon type player at the top it has plenty of depth at all positions.

This is very exciting. These type of players will only add to the excitement of hockey.

Reactions: kellhunter

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Even if we don't draft Sillinger, I hope we get him at some point during his career. It's a no brainer he'll play for at least a dozen teams with those genetics.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Last I read, the WHL was targeting Dec 4, but that they would require fan attendance in order to make it happen.

"A key component of this is to obtain permission from local health authorities to have fans in attendance at WHL games. The WHL is a spectator-driven league with over 80 percent of our revenue generated from ticket sales." ~ Ron Robison

I don't see MB or BC changing the rules for the WHL.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Last I read, the WHL was targeting Dec 4, but that they would require fan attendance in order to make it happen.

"A key component of this is to obtain permission from local health authorities to have fans in attendance at WHL games. The WHL is a spectator-driven league with over 80 percent of our revenue generated from ticket sales." ~ Ron Robison

I don't see MB or BC changing the rules for the WHL.

Yeah and Sask just went back to max 15 person gatherings so it's looking like things are going backwards at this point.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I don't know how much longer the Q has left to be honest. With Moncton and all of Moncton shut down till the end of the month, there's only 5 teams left playing. Certainly a weird year. I'm really excited to watch L'Heureux for the Moosehead's this year—think he is a top-ten talent.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yeah and Sask just went back to max 15 person gatherings so it's looking like things are going backwards at this point.
Looks like the WHL is targeting January now, but I still think odds are lower than 10% of this happening.

I think the NHL is probably below 50/50 at this point too.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Looks like the WHL is targeting January now, but I still think odds are lower than 10% of this happening.

I think the NHL is probably below 50/50 at this point too.

NHL will play. I have zero doubts about that.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Will be interesting if the draft gets moved back. Kent Johnson, Matt Beniers and Owen Power are looking like the frontrunners so far. All playing at U. Of Michigan. Still a fair number of kids that aren't playing out of the OHL and WHL.

Reactions: John Agar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->