Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
I’d rather keep our pick. Decide who you want to keep between Copp(if he doesn’t resign long term) or Appleton. Also between Demelo and Stanley. We need to keep drafting in the first round to get good players even if some might not work out. We simply can’t sign decent free agents like lots of teams can.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I’d be ok with that I think, or give them Copp and keep our pick? That pick is probably more value than we’d get back in a Copp trade.
Not sure about that... I am a pretty big Copp supporter and he's exactly the kind of guy you need for a playoff run - all depends on his agent though...

This draft doesn't really blow me away - we will get a Roslo-level with our first and then hopefully a diamond in the rough with our 2nd or 3rd

Reactions: Adam da bomb

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I’d rather keep our pick. Decide who you want to keep between Copp(if he doesn’t resign long term) or Appleton. Also between Demelo and Stanley. We need to keep drafting in the first round to get good players even if some might not work out. We simply can’t sign decent free agents like lots of teams can.
Yet you are ready to give up a first rounder that is finally working out and still in his ELC... or one of our top pairing D who's locked in at $3 mill

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Yet you are ready to give up a first rounder that is finally working out and still in his ELC... or one of our top pairing D who's locked in at $3 mill
Nope. I’d keep Stanley ahead of Demelo. I don’t think Demelo is that good. Mind you he’s been good in the playoffs so far. But if it comes down to it I keep Stanley. I’m convinced they take Appleton if he’s available or Copp. I’m prepared to lose one of them and move on. Even though I don’t like it. Love both of those players.

edit. I’d lean towards protecting Appleton. It’s a right shot we need and I’m not sure we can afford Copp. I think he priced himself out of here with the season he had. But if he signs a decent contract for like say 4 years I’d protect him instead. He’s just a very versatile player that can play centre if need be.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I wonder if a package of Copp, Heinola and pick moves the needle on a Sergachev deal? Heinola on a ELC and can play either side would help them.

Tampa will be in cap hell and have to protect Hedman and McDonough in Expansion draft. Leaves one spot for Cernak, or Sergachev.

Morrissey-Sergachev
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Poolman

Reactions: AlaskaJet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wonder if a package of Copp, Heinola and pick moves the needle on a Sergachev deal? Heinola on a ELC and can play either side would help them.

Tampa will be in cap hell and have to protect Hedman and McDonough in Expansion draft. Leaves one spot for Cernak, or Sergachev.

Morrissey-Sergachev
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Poolman

Interesting idea but I have a hard time seeing how Tampa could add another big money forward contract with their cap situation.

Maybe Heinola and a pick for Sergachev would work better for them

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's funny.

I remember hearing many years ago about a study that showed across sports that red jerseys bring more success. Something about being intimidating.

Could be just the sheer numbers. The vast majority of main team colors are either red or blue in NA pro sports.

Red: Wings, Habs, Yotes, Flames, Panthers, Canes, Hawks, Caps, Devils, Wild, Sens, Heat, Hawks, Bulls, Raps, Cavs, Pistons, Blazers, Rockets, Cardinals (NFL), 49ers, Buccaneers, Falcons, Wasington (NFL), Red Sox, Indians, Angels, Braves, Cardinals (MLB), Nationals, Reds, Diamondbacks

Blue: Jets, Leafs, Jackets, Lightning, Isles, Rags, Sabres, Avs, Blues, Oilers, Canucks, Clippers, Mavs, Grizzlies, Warriors, TWolves, 76ers, Wizards, Pacers, Hornets, Magic, Knicks, Jazz, Pelicans, Seahawks, Panthers, Cowboys, Lions, Pats, Jays, Rays, Royals, Twins, Astros, Mariners, Rangers, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, Cubs, Dodgers

If you want to be unique just don't pick red and blue. Almost all teams tend to have some combo of red/blue, blue/white or red/white. Yellow is probably next up in terms of how common it is.
Greens, purples, teal, turquoise, grey, pink, peach are pretty rare.

Reactions: kellhunter

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Interesting idea but I have a hard time seeing how Tampa could add another big money forward contract with their cap situation.

Maybe Heinola and a pick for Sergachev would work better for them
Or include Appleton if you can’t protect him. He’s cheap for TB.

Appleton, Heinola, and 2nd for Sergachev.

if Seattle picks DeMelo:

Morrissey-Sergachev
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Poolman

Seattle picks Stanley:

Sergachev-Pionk
Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Poolman

Either works, though first option has nice combination of size, skill and some nastiness.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
While awaiting Round 2, I've had a quick early look at draft options. It's a very cursory exploration.

First, although I tend to be firmly in the "best player available" camp, I really think the Jets have two major holes going forward - at RHD and RW. I think the Jets need to try to fill the talent gap that will emerge at those two positions, and maybe they could start with this draft.

Assuming they draft around #18, I like a few right shot forwards that might be able to bring some talent to fill Wheeler's spot in a few years...

- Chaz Lucius (USA U18) - #9 (McKenzie) - Will probably be gone well before #18, but if he slides...
- Lysell (SHL) - #12 - Tons of skill. Also likely gone, but might slide as far as #18.
- Bourgault (QMJHL) - #17 - More likely to be available - lots of offensive skill / vision.

At RHD, a couple of players seem intriguing...

- Ceulemans (AJHL) - #18 - Big, rangy RHD with some offensive flair and good mobility.
- Scott Morrow (USHS) - #36 - Good size, very good skater. Lots of offensive flair, but at high school level. Maybe a "trade down" candidate? Paging Max Giese...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think we could go in a number of different directions with our pick.

I think RD or skilled forward preferably a RW is the way to go all else being equal.

Reactions: Whileee

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think RD or skilled forward preferably a RW is the way to go all else being equal.

It's hard to get to invested because I'm fairly certain our pick will be moved at the expansion draft.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Completely agree, all things considered.

On my radar...

RW: Lucius, Lysell, Bourgault, Coronato (Stankoven)
RD: Ceulemans, Morrow

Of course, it's never a bad idea to go for a player that might be a C. I'm intrigued by Svechkov. Would the Jets take a swing on a Russian in Round 1?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Very possible. I would hope nit though as it shouldn't cost a first to protect who we will want to protect.

Depends on how bad Seattle wants one of our guys. If they think a late first isn't worth just taking Stanley then they likely won't think a 2nd is worth it either.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's hard to get to invested because I'm fairly certain our pick will be moved at the expansion draft.
Possibly. But I think it won't be at the expansion draft to protect Stanley or DeMelo. That's way too high a price.

I wonder if the Jets might build a trade around Copp and a prospect (Samberg or Heinola), if they are hunting big game. It really depends on who they are targeting. A player like Dumba might cost Copp and a 2nd or a B prospect like Chisholm.

Having said that, I don't think it would be a bad idea to trade this year's pick at the draft. Picks tend to be overvalued around the draft (and undervalued at the trade deadline). So I prefer trading a pick at the draft for a longer-term solution than for a rental at the deadline.

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

On my radar...

Of course, it's never a bad idea to go for a player that might be a C. I'm intrigued by Svechkov. Would the Jets take a swing on a Russian in Round 1?

There is a first time for everything but the Jets have generally steered clear of Russian players. I think we may have drafted only 2 or 3 in 10 years.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

On my radar...

I think we are pretty wary on Russians. A little less so if they are playing in North America but Svechkov likely signs a 2-3 year contract in the KHL coming up meaning we have zero control over his developement for the next 2 or 3 years at minimum. I don't think the Jets are big fans of that.

Reactions: surixon

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is a first time for everything but the Jets have generally steered clear of Russian players. I think we may have drafted only 2 or 3 in 10 years.
By most accounts, this is going to be a wildly unpredictable draft after the first 10 picks, or so. But the Jets tend to be fairly disciplined and seem unlikely to use a pick on a player that they don't have considerable confidence in.

Reactions: surixon

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Possibly. But I think it won't be at the expansion draft to protect Stanley or DeMelo. That's way too high a price.

I wonder if the Jets might build a trade around Copp and a prospect (Samberg or Heinola), if they are hunting big game. It really depends on who they are targeting. A player like Dumba might cost Copp and a 2nd or a B prospect like Chisholm.

Having said that, I don't think it would be a bad idea to trade this year's pick at the draft. Picks tend to be overvalued around the draft (and undervalued at the trade deadline). So I prefer trading a pick at the draft for a longer-term solution than for a rental at the deadline.

Yeah my hope is we go after a defencemen from Vegas and likely use Copp as the piece to get him.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Their first round recored has been very good. 2nd and 3rd not so much but they seem to get very good value in the 4-7 range so it all evens out. With the lack of playing time for some leagues this year it might be the year do something with that pick . Whether it's something with Seattle if they decide to try and keep the roster together or trade down for more picks or move it for a legit top 4 dman.

Agree that high end free agents aren't likely to end up here but I would like to like to see them try to find some better depth signings that can impact a game more than the Hendricks, Thompson and Forbort types of the world. Or at the very least give their own players a look in those roles with the thought being that after a few years you trade them a peak value for more picks and start the process again or if they continue to develop trade the player above them and save some cap space. I love Adam Lowry's game but I can't help but feel that if Gus had been given Thompsons minutes this year that there would not have been a need to commit to a 28 year old player with some hard miles on him for 5 more years.

Just my opinion.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If the Jets have trouble signing Copp, I think should consider trading him and look at signing a UFA forward like Goodrow or Coleman. Either would fit well on a 3rd line, and the Jets could use Copp to acquire a better D.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Well, with Stastny and DeMelo injured and Scheifele suspended, guess it’s time to brush up on who we can draft at 18OA.

Reactions: Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well, with Stastny and DeMelo injured and Scheifele suspended, guess it’s time to brush up on who we can draft at 18OA.
Yup. Or if they decide to go after a top D, the #18 pick has a lot more value than the #28 pick. The Jets don't have a championship team this season with that D. Knocking the Oilers out in a sweep was a blast. Now the Jets have work to do to fix the D and build a stronger contender.

Reactions: SM and snowkiddin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille