Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Corson Ceulemans or Cole Sillinger stand out to me at this range. Neither would help out for a few years at minimum, but would at least replenish some high quality in our prospect pool.

Or, what conversations do we get ourselves into with 18OA, Copp, and one of Samberg/Heinola? And before someone pops in, no I don’t think Jones is a realistic target for Chevy.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Corson Ceulemans or Cole Sillinger stand out to me at this range. Neither would help out for a few years at minimum, but would at least replenish some high quality in our prospect pool.

Or, what conversations do we get ourselves into with 18OA, Copp, and one of Samberg/Heinola? And before someone pops in, no I don’t think Jones is a realistic target for Chevy.
I think 18 and Copp gets a conversation with Minnesota about Dumba or maybe even Lindholm from Anaheim (UFA in 2022).

18, Copp and Samberg/Heinola would be for big-game hunting, more in the Parayko level, I would think.

I also think the Jets might try to use cap space to go after a UFA. I doubt Hamilton would be an option, but I could see the Jets take a look at Oleksiak.

Reactions: SM

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I think 18 and Copp gets a conversation with Minnesota about Dumba or maybe even Lindholm from Anaheim (UFA in 2022).

18, Copp and Samberg/Heinola would be for big-game hunting, more in the Parayko level, I would think.

I also think the Jets might try to use cap space to go after a UFA. I doubt Hamilton would be an option, but I could see the Jets take a look at Oleksiak.
Honestly, given the injury concerns with Parayko this year and also being UFA come 2022, it might cost even less. Assuming he’s back to his regular self I would be very excited to see d pairings like this:

Morrissey-Parayko
Oleksiak-Pionk
Stanley-DeMelo

Reactions: Nedarb

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I’d do Copp and 18 for Dumba in a heartbeat. Minny probably can go 4 and 4 and protect Dumba, but if not, he’ll be exposed because Brodin, Suter, and Spurgeon all have NMCs

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Jets move up 1 spot from 19th to 18th with Montreal dropping from 16 to 29th.

Carlos Lambert @ 18th ( winnipeg Ice) ...... keeping him in junior for next 2 years & easy to watch his progress on Winnipeg Ice,!

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
18th not sure who to take. I mean we really need some RW depth. But if Lambos or Cuelmans are they that would be fantastic.

Kind of like Coronato or Stankoven as well

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've looked at half a dozen "rankings" and it's near impossible to even get an idea who might be there at 18. Huge variances.

Yeah this year is gonna be a weird one and no doubt we see some guys go high that no one had anywhere near that position. Will be interesting to see if the Jets keep this pick or move down or deal it for something or to protect someone. You have to think that once the expansion draft settle there will be a lot of movement.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Yeah this year is gonna be a weird one and no doubt we see some guys go high that no one had anywhere near that position. Will be interesting to see if the Jets keep this pick or move down or deal it for something or to protect someone. You have to think that once the expansion draft settle there will be a lot of movement.

I would like to see them move down and acquire some draft picks. Detroit/New Jersey/CBus/Wild all have some draft capital to move

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Don't the Jets have the #17 pick this year, after being eliminated by the Habs?

upload_2021-6-8_16-56-12.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would like to see them move down and acquire some draft picks. Detroit/New Jersey/CBus/Wild all have some draft capital to move
I tend to agree.

Move down and take a RW like Stankoven or Bourgault or Coronato, or maybe a RD like Morrow, and add another 2nd rounder.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Teams with sharp scouting are really going be able to grab some deals, here....

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Anyone think the Jets might decide to go for one of the goalies? Wallstedt or Cossa?

Hellebuyck has 3 years on his contract after this season. Nabbing a future #1 goalie would definitely be a "draft and develop" move. But the Jets have generally just loaded up with some late picks on goalies, hoping to strike it rich.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Jets have generally just loaded up with some late picks on goalies, hoping to strike it rich.
I like that approach best.

Anyone want to summarize the past several years of 1st round goalies and how that has worked out? I'm assuming it hasn't worked out great for those teams.

Reactions: Mathil8

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think it's just a technicality. The League has decided for posterity that the player will be the 18th selection of the draft, but only 16 players will have been taken before him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think it's just a technicality. The League has decided for posterity that the player will be the 18th selection of the draft, but only 16 players will have been taken before him.
Is this one of the NHL's anti-analytics things? It makes no sense in any practical way.

Reactions: Mathil8

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Is this one of the NHL's anti-analytics things? It makes no sense in any practical way.

I think they have done it this way before. Technically whatever pick the Coyotes have will be that number and then the draft keeps going. So we technically have the 18th pick but it will be the 17th actual player selected.

Reactions: Guardian17

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Don't the Jets have the #17 pick this year, after being eliminated by the Habs?

View attachment 445031

I think they have done it this way before. Technically whatever pick the Coyotes have will be that number and then the draft keeps going. So we technically have the 18th pick but it will be the 17th actual player selected.

Thanks for the clarification!

Reactions: surixon

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I like that approach best.

Anyone want to summarize the past several years of 1st round goalies and how that has worked out? I'm assuming it hasn't worked out great for those teams.

Knight in 2019 by Florida, looking decent now.
Oettinger in 2017 to Dallas, has looked good in AHL probably gets a shot at NHL soon.
Samsonov in 2015 to Washington, looking like a pretty solid pick right now minus the gaffe.
Vasi in 2012 to Tampa, arguably the best goalie in the league currently.
Campbell in 2010 to Dallas, didnt work out in Dallas or LA but seems to have found a spot in TO.

Are some recents.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Anyone think the Jets might decide to go for one of the goalies? Wallstedt or Cossa?

Hellebuyck has 3 years on his contract after this season. Nabbing a future #1 goalie would definitely be a "draft and develop" move. But the Jets have generally just loaded up with some late picks on goalies, hoping to strike it rich.
I was wondering the same thing. This might be a good draft to grab a goalie for the future.

Cossa looks really interesting. Though how much of that is team play vs player ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad