Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He was shitty at hockey and he was drafted that high because of his size. That was not the only reason though. There were matters of character and work ethic plus a lack of better prospects behind him.

I think that if he could skate as well as Myers, he would be a better player than Myers is. So far he can't. It is not too late for further improvement there. We can hope. :)
Gonna have to disagree there. Completely silly to suggest Stanley was a shitty hockey player. He always was a project, and now he’s panning out and making a bunch of his haters look like dopes.

Edit - not you by the way, I know you like Stanley’s game. Sorry for coming off so harsh. It’s just frustrating seeing people (mostly on Twitter) still look down on this guy :)

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gonna have to disagree there. Completely silly to suggest Stanley was a shitty hockey player. He always was a project, and now he’s panning out and making a bunch of his haters look like dopes.

Edit - not you by the way, I know you like Stanley’s game. Sorry for coming off so harsh. It’s just frustrating seeing people (mostly on Twitter) still look down on this guy :)

I was down on him - mainly because of the way he was drafted. But 2 things - first, I realized that there were very few good players available where we were scheduled to draft. The second is a little more complicated. I liked him as a 3rd or 4th rd pick and hoped he would become a good 3rd pair Dman with some intimidating size. Then, last year, I gave up on him. I assumed he was healthy when he came back from his injury and just not good enough. Now it appears he was playing before he was fully recovered, so not as bad as he looked. So, back to being a 3rd pair Dman. :) It remains to be seen how good a 3rd pair Dman he is going to be but he has already exceeded my low expectations from last year.

All that said though, I still think he was a pretty poor hockey player at the time he was drafted. Shitty might be a bit of an unfair word to use. But he had a long way to go. I think he has earned a lot of respect for having made it this far.

IMO, it is time to forget the way he was drafted and just see him as a prospect/player who is showing a lot of promise at this point. Chiarot came up in D+6. I think Stanley in D+5 compares pretty well with him at that time. I will be quite happy if he continues to match up with Ben.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I was down on him - mainly because of the way he was drafted. But 2 things - first, I realized that there were very few good players available where we were scheduled to draft. The second is a little more complicated. I liked him as a 3rd or 4th rd pick and hoped he would become a good 3rd pair Dman with some intimidating size. Then, last year, I gave up on him. I assumed he was healthy when he came back from his injury and just not good enough. Now it appears he was playing before he was fully recovered, so not as bad as he looked. So, back to being a 3rd pair Dman. :) It remains to be seen how good a 3rd pair Dman he is going to be but he has already exceeded my low expectations from last year.

All that said though, I still think he was a pretty poor hockey player at the time he was drafted. Shitty might be a bit of an unfair word to use. But he had a long way to go. I think he has earned a lot of respect for having made it this far.

IMO, it is time to forget the way he was drafted and just see him as a prospect/player who is showing a lot of promise at this point. Chiarot came up in D+6. I think Stanley in D+5 compares pretty well with him at that time. I will be quite happy if he continues to match up with Ben.
That’s very fair. Thanks for sharing your opinion. Sorry about the heated post early

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Name a team in the last decade that employed 3 smallish under 200 lbs puck moving dmen? That’s where we are with Heinola, Morrissey and Pionk, with DeMelo included in that list as well. Nobody wants knuckle draggers like Stu who can’t move the puck, but you also need some size for playoff hockey.

Chicago, Boston, LA, Pittsburgh, Washington, St Louis, Tampa. Most teams would like Tampa’s d.

currently the Avs with Makar, Girard, Towes, and Byram who are all puck moving D men in the ilk of the guys on our team that you are referencing.

I am not saying we have to construct a team with our current D assets. If there was a deal to move Heinola it would have to be interesting since we have 3 seasons of ELC which are very valuable.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
currently the Avs with Makar, Girard, Towes, and Byram who are all puck moving D men in the ilk of the guys on our team that you are referencing.

I am not saying we have to construct a team with our current D assets. If there was a deal to move Heinola it would have to be interesting since we have 3 seasons of ELC which are very valuable.
Sure and IF the Avs win the cup with that d makeup, then I’ll stand corrected and realize Chevy is ahead of the rest in this copycat league.

Reactions: WolfHouse

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure and IF the Avs win the cup with that d makeup, then I’ll stand corrected and realize Chevy is ahead of the rest in this copycat league.

I think you need balance. You can easily have all three of Heinola, Morrissey, and Pionk on the roster if you have some other attributes that can play. Samberg likely one of those and if you get another good top 4 dmen with some size an snarl you have a balanced d corps.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have to admit I am behind on this group. I think the year we drafted Gus I was pretty unplugged because we were a contender and we sold our 1st rounder and picked late in the 2nd. I assume I will get Black Book, look at the Scouching reports, and other video review sites after the Jets are out and before the draft. Given that we are picking 18th I don't feel the burning need to study like I did last season.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have to admit I am behind on this group. I think the year we drafted Gus I was pretty unplugged because we were a contender and we sold our 1st rounder and picked late in the 2nd. I assume I will get Black Book, look at the Scouching reports, and other video review sites after the Jets are out and before the draft. Given that we are picking 18th I don't feel the burning need to study like I did last season.

I didn't get to do any scouting this year so I am looking forward to to the posters who have seen players or incesting in draft guides for some summaries.

Reactions: ps241

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Size matters in combination with skating etc..

I wouldn't discount anyone because of size but if we are comparing players of the same skill set then size is a difference maker

Look at Tbay and Florida and both their defenses. Who was the smallish guy out there?

Reactions: snowkiddin

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Size matters in combination with skating etc..

I wouldn't discount anyone because of size but if we are comparing players of the same skill set then size is a difference maker

Look at Tbay and Florida and both their defenses. Who was the smallish guy out there?

Florida:
Montour 6"0
Stralman 5"11
Weager 6"0
Nuitavarra 6"1
Yardle 6"1

So take out Ekblad who is injured and it isn't a very tall group.

Tampa has a big dcore.

For the Jets:

Morrissey 6"0
DeMelo 6"1
Pionk 6"0

Then youngsters:

Heinola 6"1
Stanley 6"7
Samberg 6"3

Honestly there isn't really any difference between the size of our dmen and Florida.for instance.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Florida:
Montour 6"0
Stralman 5"11
Weager 6"0
Nuitavarra 6"1
Yardle 6"1

So take out Ekblad who is injured and it isn't a very tall group.

Tampa has a big dcore.

For the Jets:

Morrissey 6"0
DeMelo 6"1
Pionk 6"0

Then youngsters:

Heinola 6"1
Stanley 6"7
Samberg 6"3

Honestly there isn't really any difference between the size of our dmen and Florida.for instance.
Heinola is listed at 5’11/178 on Jets website.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I thought the 6"1 listing was suspect on hockey reference but I just used the same site for all of their heights to stay consistent.

NHL players height and weight numbers are all over the map. Lists often use stats from when they were 18 YO when they are 25 or so.

Since they refuse to provide accurate, or at least consistent numbers, they should just classify all players as Small, Medium or Large. :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
NHL players height and weight numbers are all over the map. Lists often use stats from when they were 18 YO when they are 25 or so.

Since they refuse to provide accurate, or at least consistent numbers, they should just classify all players as Small, Medium or Large. :laugh:

Would save everyone a lot of trouble lol

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Have you seen North American Jets fans say Heinola is going to be a #1 D man? I am not being sarcastic, I haven’t seen any poster claim he is going to be a #1?

I think he was a really solid draft pick at #20 and I expect him to be in the mix for a top 4 spot within the next two seasons. He will be dismissed by the majority of the male Jets fans because of his size which will be annoying.
I say he will be the Jets #1 D man in two seasons.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
We’ll see about the Avs I am not saying that’s the model. My favourite D man was Buff by a Long shot and I still value size but only if it’s packaged with skill.
Buff was a freak of nature Like Eric Lindros.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Nobody - its getting pretty clear that we will have to trade our first rounder to keep Stanley and DeMelo away from Seattle...!!

I’d be ok with that I think, or give them Copp and keep our pick? That pick is probably more value than we’d get back in a Copp trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->