Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
My problem is identifying a top RD available in trade. Any ideas?
I wouldn't give all that up for Pesce but is he a 1RHD?
Probably aren't interested in trading him.
Parayko? Would need to re-sign but not sure if I would offer him more than 5 years and that is one year too long, but we need a good RHD.

Seth Jones would be my first pick and I would re-sign him to a 7 or 8 year deal...somewhere north of 9m.
We'd have to give up a shitpile to get him.
Dylan DeMelo, Copper, 1st in 2021, and Slamberg probably doesn't get him. If you switch Pionk for DD, you would be closer.

JMo Seth Jones
Heinola DD
Stanimal/Slamberg Kovs?

Probably too many youngsters.

Perfetti, 1st in 2022, Copper and Stanimal? That would leave DD to play with Slamberg and we'd have a pretty not too bad D corps but pretty expensive too.

Crazy that we had a D corps where Myers was the 3RHD to what we ice now so fast.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I wouldn't give all that up for Pesce but is he a 1RHD?
Probably aren't interested in trading him.
Parayko? Would need to re-sign but not sure if I would offer him more than 5 years and that is one year too long, but we need a good RHD.

Seth Jones would be my first pick and I would re-sign him to a 7 or 8 year deal...somewhere north of 9m.
We'd have to give up a shitpile to get him.
Dylan DeMelo, Copper, 1st in 2021, and Slamberg probably doesn't get him. If you switch Pionk for DD, you would be closer.

JMo Seth Jones
Heinola DD
Stanimal/Slamberg Kovs?

Probably too many youngsters.

Perfetti, 1st in 2022, Copper and Stanimal? That would leave DD to play with Slamberg and we'd have a pretty not too bad D corps but pretty expensive too.

Crazy that we had a D corps where Myers was the 3RHD to what we ice now so fast.
I certainly wouldn’t consider Pionk in that package for whatsoever.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’m just not buying in to all the Heinola hype.

I don’t think he’ll be a #1, and maybe not a top pairing dman either. If he’s needed to get a top pairing dman, I’m fine with Chevy moving him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I don’t think he’ll be a #1, and maybe not a top pairing dman either. If he’s needed to get a top pairing dman, I’m fine with Chevy moving him.

His upside is a #1 but the likelihood he hits on it isnt huge. I think it's pretty safe to put him in the 2-5 category. And expect he ends being around the same calibre as Pionk.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No, it won't. It could be a main piece, though. Other trade chips might be Copp and a prospect other than their top 2- 3.

We could try the quantity for quality route, but I think that has limited potential. We are going to have to give up one or more of those top prospects, I think. Or else settle for less than enough in return.

Reactions: jgimp

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Have you seen North American Jets fans say Heinola is going to be a #1 D man? I am not being sarcastic, I haven’t seen any poster claim he is going to be a #1?

I think he was a really solid draft pick at #20 and I expect him to be in the mix for a top 4 spot within the next two seasons. He will be dismissed by the majority of the male Jets fans because of his size which will be annoying.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Have you seen North American Jets fans say Heinola is going to be a #1 D man? I am not being sarcastic, I haven’t seen any poster claim he is going to be a #1?

I think he was a really solid draft pick at #20 and I expect him to be in the mix for a top 4 spot within the next two seasons. He will be dismissed by the majority of the male Jets fans because of his size which will be annoying.
The "Enstrom" rhetoric is already deafening.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It’s embarrassing. Lots of Winnipeg male Jets fans can’t escape the 90’s and they have huge anchoring biases. The most egregious one IMO is if you are a small D man you suck, end of story. At best you may not suck but you are ALWAYS too small.

Yep. I split seats with a mate and the STHs to our left are exactly that vintage and they HATED Toby and LOVED Stu and Trouba and Big Ben, and they are not gonna get Heinola, probs. But that isn’t going to stop him being a very good PMD for us, hopefully for a long time.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yep. I split seats with a mate and the STHs to our left are exactly that vintage and they HATED Toby and LOVED Stu and Trouba and Big Ben, and they are not gonna get Heinola, probs. But that isn’t going to stop him being a very good PMD for us, hopefully for a long time.

Its almost every male hockey fan I know with a pulse over the age of 35 in Manitoba.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I am expecting something to happen with Seattle at expansion with the amount of D they will be able to pick up and then trade with teams like the Jets

I did the draft sim and drafted

Carson Cuelmans RD 21st
Aiden Hereschuk LD 53rd
Owen Zelleweger LD 85th
Robert Knak RW 149th
You got the Knak!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Top 4 absolutely. I’m just not sold as a top pairing or #1. Button and others seem to be stoking that fire.

At #20, he hasn’t disappointed. But if there is a all-situations dman out there that is in his mid-20s with years of team control, I’m moving Heinola if I have to.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Top 4 absolutely. I’m just not sold as a top pairing or #1. Button and others seem to be stoking that fire.

At #20, he hasn’t disappointed. But if there is a all-situations dman out there that is in his mid-20s with years of team control, I’m moving Heinola if I have to.
Like a Neil Pionk?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It’s embarrassing. Lots of Winnipeg male Jets fans can’t escape the 90’s and they have huge anchoring biases. The most egregious one IMO is if you are a small D man you suck, end of story. At best you may not suck but you are ALWAYS too small.
Not sure if it’s male fans so much as it’s people stuck in the past.

There was also a lot of people dismissing Stanley because of his size.

Size isn’t inconsequential, but it’s pretty vastly overrated. Heinola’s hockey IQ is so high that size shouldn’t really be an issue.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure if it’s male fans so much as it’s people stuck in the past.

There was also a lot of people dismissing Stanley because of his size.

Size isn’t inconsequential, but it’s pretty vastly overrated. Heinola’s hockey IQ is so high that size shouldn’t really be an issue.

For every one dismissing Stanley because of his size, there were two raving about him because of his size.

I like that he is big. I wish he also had a little more of the attributes of a typical smaller player. Just a little more quickness would be a big help.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
For every one dismissing Stanley because of his size, there were two raving about him because of his size.

I like that he is big. I wish he also had a little more of the attributes of a typical smaller player. Just a little more quickness would be a big help.
Yes, but there were a lot of people on here who said he was shitty at hockey and the only reason he got drafted so high was because of his size. That couldn’t have been more wrong and it shows size bias can skew both ways.

I agree I wish he were quicker. If he could ever end up as good a skater as Myers is, that would be super helpful.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Like a Neil Pionk?
We still have to see how Pionk responds to pressure and physicality in this year’s playoffs. He had a disappointing playoff last year, when targeted physically in the playin series against Calgary. But so did most of the Jets.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Name a team in the last decade that employed 3 smallish under 200 lbs puck moving dmen? That’s where we are with Heinola, Morrissey and Pionk, with DeMelo included in that list as well. Nobody wants knuckle draggers like Stu who can’t move the puck, but you also need some size for playoff hockey.

Chicago, Boston, LA, Pittsburgh, Washington, St Louis, Tampa. Most teams would like Tampa’s d.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, but there were a lot of people on here who said he was shitty at hockey and the only reason he got drafted so high was because of his size. That couldn’t have been more wrong and it shows size bias can skew both ways.

I agree I wish he were quicker. If he could ever end up as good a skater as Myers is, that would be super helpful.

He was shitty at hockey and he was drafted that high because of his size. That was not the only reason though. There were matters of character and work ethic plus a lack of better prospects behind him.

I think that if he could skate as well as Myers, he would be a better player than Myers is. So far he can't. It is not too late for further improvement there. We can hope. :)

Reactions: angrymnky

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Actually, his quickness looks a lot better than I expected. He's never going to be as agile as a lot of smaller players, but if he's effective at using his reach and size he doesn't need to be as quick. What's more important is being able to read and react quickly. That's where I think he's improving. He still makes bad decisions with the puck at times, but he makes a lot of good decisions and has the skill to make good passes. I think he's already shown he's going to make it as a 3rd pairing D. If he improves his consistency and quickness just a bit, I could see him being a #4 D at some point.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually, his quickness looks a lot better than I expected. He's never going to be as agile as a lot of smaller players, but if he's effective at using his reach and size he doesn't need to be as quick. What's more important is being able to read and react quickly. That's where I think he's improving. He still makes bad decisions with the puck at times, but he makes a lot of good decisions and has the skill to make good passes. I think he's already shown he's going to make it as a 3rd pairing D. If he improves his consistency and quickness just a bit, I could see him being a #4 D at some point.

I don't disagree with any of that. But more quickness would help. His speed, once he gets going, is quite a bit better than I expected. Acceleration is always going to be a problem for him, just because of his size.

He's been less good his last couple of games but he has less support now. He is still very much a rookie and will get better.

Reactions: jgimp

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I would have enjoyed it if only Arizona's 1st rounder was put in a special lottery for the other teams to win (as opposed to just losing it) :laugh:

Thats a great idea, it’s one thing to just lose the pick and have all the other teams jump up a spot, it would be another to see one of the other teams win that extra pick and get an extra 1st . Would definitely add some salt to the wound.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad