Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I just want Rossi (not happening) or Lundell (might happen!) to be there at 8 and we take them. Please hockey gods

It would be shocking to me if Lundell wasn't there.

1 XXX Lafreniere
2 LAK Byfield
3 OTT Stuztle
4 DET Perfetti/Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale
5 OTT Perfetti/Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale
6 ANA Perfetti/Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale
7 NJD Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale/Sanderson/Holtz

I see the first 5 picks as largely predictable. ANA and NJD are questions, but both will either go for the elite offensive talent, or the defense, imo.

We're in the sweet spot where the elite offensive talent with the fewest questions + the only elite dman run ends. Lundell should be there, and be a slam dunk.

If Rossi or Raymond magically make it to 8, then you have that discussion, otherwise, go Lundell.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It would be shocking to me if Lundell wasn't there.

1 XXX Lafreniere
2 LAK Byfield
3 OTT Stuztle
4 DET Perfetti/Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale
5 OTT Perfetti/Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale
6 ANA Perfetti/Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale
7 NJD Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale/Sanderson/Holtz

I see the first 5 picks as largely predictable. ANA and NJD are questions, but both will either go for the elite offensive talent, or the defense, imo.

We're in the sweet spot where the elite offensive talent with the fewest questions + the only elite dman run ends. Lundell should be there, and be a slam dunk.

If Rossi or Raymond magically make it to 8, then you have that discussion, otherwise, go Lundell.

After the Wings took Seider last year, I wouldn't count on them being predictable.

But, I am hoping that the Perfetti to Detroit talk comes true.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I think it is quite likely Rossi lasts to 8.

Sanderson will go top-7.

I really hope this happens at least...don't want to consider Lundell as the best possibility at 8 yuck.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think it is quite likely Rossi lasts to 8.

Sanderson will go top-7.

I really hope this happens at least...don't want to consider Lundell as the best possibility at 8 yuck.

The best case scenario for the Sabres is if Sanderson and Drysdale both go top 7.

The too much to dream of scenario is if both the D and Askarov all go top 7.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

nickchowz

Mar 5, 2014
Buffalo
I'm on board the Anton Lundell hype train.

Realistically I don't see my preferred targets sliding to 8 (Rossi or Raymond). Lundell gives us an excellent two-way center at 2C or 3C (ideally 3C banking on Cozens being a stud 2C).

We've been in need of exactly the type of player Lundell projects to be ever since that colossal disaster of a trade happened.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The best case scenario for the Sabres is if Sanderson and Drysdale both go top 7.

The too much to dream of scenario is if both the D and Askarov all go top 7.
Or if not Askarov, maybe quinn. Sounds like there's a small chance

Reactions: Jim Bob

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Kevyn Adams picks on the draft:

#7 - Jake Sanderson (LD)
#38 - Yan Kuznetsov (LD)
#100 - Brock Faber (RD)
#131 - Isaak Phillips (LD)
#193 - Ville Ottavainen (RD)
#210 - Karel Klikorka (LD)

Botterill reaction:
giphy.gif

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Kevyn Adams picks on the draft:

#7 - Jake Sanderson (LD)
#38 - Yan Kuznetsov (LD)
#100 - Brock Faber (RD)
#131 - Isaak Phillips (LD)
#193 - Ville Ottavainen (RD)
#210 - Karel Klikorka (LD)

Botterill reaction:
giphy.gif

It's more like:

#7 - Jake Sanderson (LD)
#38 - Ty Smilanic (C)
#100 - Brett Berard (LW)
#131 - Landon Slaggert (LW)
#193 - Chase Yoder (C)
#210 - Daniel Laatsch (D)

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
Seems like most posters would be pleased with Rossi, myself included. Trade our 8OA and our 2nd rounder, move up 2 spots and take him. Are we really concerned about losing a 2nd rounder that won't make the team anyhow?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Seems like most posters would be pleased with Rossi, myself included. Trade our 8OA and our 2nd rounder, move up 2 spots and take him. Are we really concerned about losing a 2nd rounder that won't make the team anyhow?
That trade just doesn’t happen, historically. I only remember it happening once, and it seemed like it was a big mess. The islanders in 2008.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I wouldn't make that move, because I will be perfectly fine with picking Lundell at 8 and use that 2nd rounder to pick up something else. I have a feeling that Rossi (and Raymond) have great upside and that both can turn into studs, but that Lundell is the "safest" bet outside the projected top-3. This guy will become a full time NHLer*. Not only because he is already playing against seniors, but also because he does so as a two-way center, which indicates that he takes on a lot of responsibility and has a lot of maturity to his game. He may not be very flashy, but he may very well be the kind of balanced center most teams need on a second or third line.

*Unless he is drafted by the Buffalo Sabres who surely will find a way to wreck his development.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Thanks much for this link. A welcome COVID reading material.

I wouldn't make that move, because I will be perfectly fine with picking Lundell at 8 and use that 2nd rounder to pick up something else. I have a feeling that Rossi (and Raymond) have great upside and that both can turn into studs, but that Lundell is the "safest" bet outside the projected top-3. This guy will become a full time NHLer*. Not only because he is already playing against seniors, but also because he does so as a two-way center, which indicates that he takes on a lot of responsibility and has a lot of maturity to his game. He may not be very flashy, but he may very well be the kind of balanced center most teams need on a second or third line.

*Unless he is drafted by the Buffalo Sabres who surely will find a way to wreck his development.
Sabres could absolutely use a Don Luce / Bob Bourne / John Tonelli / Ryan O'Valdemort style center.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York

In case you have a lot of free time...

I just recently found out that I'm being placed in quarantine so I've got all the time in the world. Curious to see what their opinions are on guys that I like that most people on this forum don't. :laugh:

Edit: I was anxious to hear their thoughts on Sanderson, and was surprised to hear comments about him being perhaps the best defender, as in playing actual defense, that they've seen in the draft in quite some time. I can't say I wholeheartedly disagree. He's an absolutely horse back there, and I think Ottawa takes a long look at him at 5.

Last edited:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The Lundell love is interesting seeing as we typically have been upset with them passing on high ceilings for more "boring" 2-way guys. If we took Lundell I would definitely be excited by the potential but probably a little nervous too. I think his offense still needs some work and he could be someone down the road where you say "I cant believe they took that guy over x,y,z offensive talent". But if he does get close to his ceiling its huge.

Sounds like they're saying Stutzle has a case of afinogenitis but they don't know if it's terminal.

I could see that. You can see the speed and skill, especially when he has space, but is he that same top 2/3 player at 5v5, when he has to cycle in the zone?

In case you have a lot of free time...

Was surprised to hear them question Drysdale's decision making, but I haven't watched the defense much, so can't say I disagree, just didnt expect to hear that. Same with Holtz at 5. That would certainly help bump a guy we want. I'm probably higher on Holtz than a bunch of people, but not my first choice.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The Lundell love is interesting seeing as we typically have been upset with them passing on high ceilings for more "boring" 2-way guys. If we took Lundell I would definitely be excited by the potential but probably a little nervous too. I think his offense still needs some work and he could be someone down the road where you say "I cant believe they took that guy over x,y,z offensive talent". But if he does get close to his ceiling its huge.

I could see that. You can see the speed and skill, especially when he has space, but is he that same top 2/3 player at 5v5, when he has to cycle in the zone?

Was surprised to hear them question Drysdale's decision making, but I haven't watched the defense much, so can't say I disagree, just didnt expect to hear that. Same with Holtz at 5. That would certainly help bump a guy we want. I'm probably higher on Holtz than a bunch of people, but not my first choice.
Lundell is not low ceiling. “High floor” and “Can play defense” are not the same as “low ceiling”. People are upset at drafting 2nd round defensemen that are low ceiling when there are high skill players available.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Lundell is not low ceiling. “High floor” and “Can play defense” are not the same as “low ceiling”. People are upset at drafting 2nd round defensemen that are low ceiling when there are high skill players available.

Maybe low ceiling wasn't the right word choice but possibly low chance of hitting that ceiling. I think because he plays a defensively responsible game some of his offensive ability isn't viewed as critically as other prospects. To some degree it makes sense, to some degree it doesn't.

With a guy like Holtz his shot selection is criticized, which is a big deal because his game is scoring. So if that doesn't translate he'is in big trouble. I dont love Lundell's shot selection either, and while he's well-rounded enough where that aspect of his game won't make or break if he's an NHLer, it could make or break whether he is a 2-way force, or just a solid defensively responsible forward.

The same way you say "can play defense isn't the same as low ceiling", can play defense doesn't always mean 2-way. And I don't think Lundell is offensively inept, I still do consider him a 2-way player because he's got some offensive skill, just not sure if it's enough for me to view him as a slam dunk like many people seem to be. Again, I wont be upset if they take him, I dont think he's bad, he's probably right around my top-10. I'll probably just be a little nervous until he shows offensive production in the NHL, although thats true for most guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad