Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Aside from the top 3, I won't be excited with anyone other than Rossi or Holtz. I guess you could throw in Perfetti as well. Raymond getting too much hype here.
I’m hearing too much negative about Holtz to see him as anything other than a project that probably won’t pan out, unfortunately. Great shot, but he doesn’t apply it as well as he would need in order to survive in this league.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think Holtz gets written off too easily. He's probably at the bottom of this tier of players we have been discussing for a while at 8, for me, but I'm not ready to write him off completely.

Whether it was the SHL, u20 as a 17 year old, u18 as a 16 year old, he has been one of the top scorers for his age in the past 20 years. While I dont think points in swedish leagues translate as well as they might in the CHL, I think it is hard to overlook a guy who has been one of the top players since he was 16.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Funny characteristic of Holtz:

Well: fast and strong, plays in a very aggressive style, knows how to score

Badly: statistics say that Holtz loves to shoot on goal from non-hazardous positions. Moreover, he has good performance, which is strange. That is, instead of slightly improving his position, he simply shoots at the goal from anywhere. This suggests that Holtz does not read the game well, that is not corrected. Zadina 2.0

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Whether or not Holtz will succeed here will come down to his personality, and coaching.

He’s extremely raw in fundamentals. His defensive awareness is hilarious, and he does have a Laine-eske propensity to shoot from the outside, without Laine’s talent that makes it work.

If he has that self-improvement personality matrix, and we actually coach him properly, his elite traits could make him a better Olofsson.

However, if he has an Alex Nylander personality, and we develop him like we did Nylander, he’ll bust hard.

Better to pick a better all around player, better fit, and someone who we won’t have to rely on our own coaching to develop as much. Anton Lundell, come on down.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I’m wondering, but in general you always need to choose BPA or is it sometimes necessary to take a player by position? Bergevin take Kotkaniemi and not Tkachuk or Hughes because he was BPA for him or because he was the center.

It's just that if Adams and his team, for example, want to take Askarov and are sure that he is goalie of franchise, then the disappointment on this board and in general Buffalo fans can be quite big, well, of course except for me. On the one hand, we have Ullmark, UPL, Johansson and Portillo and we need attacking prospects, but if Askarov is a BPA, what should be done in such a situation?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hey Sabres fans, how much chance do you think your GM decides to go with Askarov at 8th?

There's a randomness in new management, since there's no history. That being said, I think the chance we take Askarov at 8 is like 2% at best.

I honestly see us taking Lundell. With the commitment to analytics, and the center need still paramount, our pick seems obvious.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
There's a randomness in new management, since there's no history. That being said, I think the chance we take Askarov at 8 is like 2% at best.

I honestly see us taking Lundell. With the commitment to analytics, and the center need still paramount, our pick seems obvious.
I'd hope our commitment to analytics goes deeper than corsi

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Adams can take his pick.

I'd be interested to know how accurately the charts project.

I don't want to say they don't, or that they are meaningless, but it seems like there are a bunch of visualizations in which the creator is more interested in making a visualization than making something that projects future success. It's hard to put stock into those without knowing their ability to tell you how a player will perform in the nhl

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Funny characteristic of Holtz:

Well: fast and strong, plays in a very aggressive style, knows how to score

Badly: statistics say that Holtz loves to shoot on goal from non-hazardous positions. Moreover, he has good performance, which is strange. That is, instead of slightly improving his position, he simply shoots at the goal from anywhere. This suggests that Holtz does not read the game well, that is not corrected. Zadina 2.0

Isn't this also the scouting report (more or less) of Kaliyev, who was taken last year?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I’m wondering, but in general you always need to choose BPA or is it sometimes necessary to take a player by position? Bergevin take Kotkaniemi and not Tkachuk or Hughes because he was BPA for him or because he was the center.

It's just that if Adams and his team, for example, want to take Askarov and are sure that he is goalie of franchise, then the disappointment on this board and in general Buffalo fans can be quite big, well, of course except for me. On the one hand, we have Ullmark, UPL, Johansson and Portillo and we need attacking prospects, but if Askarov is a BPA, what should be done in such a situation?
If there's another team the Sabres KNOW want to take Askarov, determine if that team has a 2C or a cost-controlled 2C/3C prospect in a D+1,2,3 situation, with RFA years in hand, then work a trade.

Either draft Askarov and trade him, or more preferably, trade the pick for the player, or, most preferably, trade the pick for the player and a swap of first round picks. Either off-load or take back cap / other players to even-out such a deal, if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: hizzoner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad