Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake Bielecki

Jul 5, 2020
Also, you make it sound like opportunities off a rush is a bad thing.

His speed draws penalties and is generally difficult to contend with.

There are plenty of players who are able to make plays when you're starting with zone possession.

Get me the puck in there, and get me possession in the first place.

Plus, imo, our biggest team deficiency is our lack of speed, Eichel not withstanding.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Efectzoer

Jun 22, 2018
Also, you make it sound like opportunities off a rush is a bad thing.

His speed draws penalties and is generally difficult to contend with.

There are plenty of players who are able to make plays when you're starting with zone possession.

Get me the puck in there, and get me possession in the first place.

Plus, imo, our biggest team deficiency is our lack of speed, Eichel not withstanding.
I'm just not sure how much else he has. If we were picking at say 10 or 11 yea I'd be all for picking Jarvis, just think we could get a better player at 8.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm just not sure how much else he has. If we were picking at say 10 or 11 yea I'd be all for picking Jarvis, just think we could get a better player at 8.
Others may disagree but I see jarvis having a decent floor despite his size.

So while I think there probably would be players that could be better than jarvis at 8, I think he could have a better chance at becoming an effective player. Take him vs holtz for example. Holtz could be a 40 goal scorer, but as others have mentioned, if he doesn't, is he even an nhler?

This was a debate on the main board though, and it seemed pretty split. Some seemed to think if you're not drafting ceiling in the top 10 you're doing it wrong, others saying that ending up with a really good 3rd liner is a "better bust " than a true bust that never plays.

I agree with the 2nd mentality but you just have to weigh each one. Drafting virtanen because his floor's higher than nylander or ehlers is a bit much because virtanen's ceiling was so much lower. But with Jarvis you could get a nice floor and ceiling

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I think my Sabres Big Board at this point would be: (Brackets number is where I have them ranked in general).

1(1). Alexis Lafreniere
2(2). Quinton Byfield
3(4). Tim Stutzle
4(5). Marco Rossi
5(3). Lucas Raymond
6(6). Jamie Drysdale
7(10). Seth Jarvis
8(13). Jack Quinn
9(9) Cole Perfetti
10(7). Alexander Holtz
11(14). Anton Lundell
12(11). Noel Gunler
13(12). Jake Sanderson
14(8). Yaroslav Askarov

I still have everyone in the top-6 at least a tier above and then the 7-14 grouping close at this point.

Honestly if the top-6 are gone I would try hard to trade it for a 2C.

Jarvis - Nice mix of potential yet safe. Some people aren't sure how he projects to the next level but I love his game.

Quinn - Don't see tons of play driving upside but not sure that is a deal breaker. Safe bet to be a good complimentary top-6 scorer with a strong all around game.

Perfetti - Too many red flags for me...great offensive tools but not sure we are in a position to make what I see as a very high risk pick here.

Holtz - BPA but not a fit here I think with Olofsson (and to a lesser extent Skinner) filling his role.

Lundell - Exactly what we need...IF everything goes right. I think much more likely this would be a glorified Larsson/bottom-6 C which worries me.

Gunler - Doubt he is a consideration here. Think he has great upside and like him lots but rather go safer with high upside.

Sanderson - Confident he would be a great 2LD behind Dahlin, but again, bigger needs

Askarov - Think he will be special, but we have too many other holes to fill

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If he turns out like Konecny has, that's still well worth the 8th overall pick

fully aware, but there’s a big difference in the impact. I do believe Jarvis will be a top 6 winger, just a matter of how good of top 6 winger. But then there’s the factor of Buffalo development abilities.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
fully aware, but there’s a big difference in the impact. I do believe Jarvis will be a top 6 winger, just a matter of how good of top 6 winger. But then there’s the factor of Buffalo development abilities.
This might sound odd describing a prospect that isn't a top 2 or 3 talent in the draft, but I don't think Jarvis will need a ton of development. He's already an extremely polished player, just needs to hit the gym.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
I see Holtz is labeled as one of the best sniper in the draft. I know he's young and has performed well in the junior ranks. I'm not sure what to make of his SHL stats (9 goals in 35 games). Do we throw out the SHL stats? I tried to find similar prospect from the past. W.Nylander had better SHL stats. Looking for opinions

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I see Holtz is labeled as one of the best sniper in the draft. I know he's young and has performed well in the junior ranks. I'm not sure what to make of his SHL stats (9 goals in 35 games). Do we throw out the SHL stats? I tried to find similar prospect from the past. W.Nylander had better SHL stats. Looking for opinions
Ice time and role plays such a factor I dont think its super valuable, but wouldnt completely throw it out either.

Taken from draft dynasty youtube video. SHL draft eligible players last 20 years:
upload_2020-7-11_13-10-21.png

u20 in draft-1 year:
upload_2020-7-11_13-8-39.png

His 30 goals were the most by a u17 player. That said when you look at the other players that scored a lot of goals at the same age, its hardly an guarantee of NHL success

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-11_13-3-4.png
    upload_2020-7-11_13-3-4.png
    490.4 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2020-7-11_13-6-34.png
    upload_2020-7-11_13-6-34.png
    338.6 KB · Views: 1

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Serious question, what percent of people who have actually watched him many times don't like him?

I think will sums it up well at the end of the video saying there are such great forwards at the top of the draft that he wouldn't take Sanderson top 10. But it seems like the most the people who bash him didn't actually watch much of him. Not on this board, but just in general.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If one of Rossi or Raymond is on the table and we take Sanderson, i will be disappointed.

Good for me: Rossi, Raymond, Lundell, Jarvis

Question marks: Holtz, Perfetti, Sanderson

I will not be so disappointed, unlike most here: Askarov

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Chicago Steel GM Ryan Hardy with some draft related tweets about a couple of his guys.

I won't be upset if the Sabres draft most of the Steel players in this draft class. Well, outside of Colangelo at 8ov, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->