Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'd take Jarvis at 8. He could definitely be one of those players you look back on in 3-4 years and wonder how the hell they slipped to the middle of the 1st.
I like Jarvis, but Rossi and Raymond for me look more interesting options. My idea was that we could get three good prospects in this draft if we had #8, # 16 or #22 and #38.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
That’s part of the reason I’m pushing for Rossi. I have no confidence in being able to develop the potential out of guys. Rossi is already a really really good player.

Rossi checks every box. He is tremendous at the face off dot, solid in his own end, make his teammates better, is dynamite on the pp, has a tremendous work ethic both on and off the ice.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Rossi checks every box. He is tremendous at the face off dot, solid in his own end, make his teammates better, is dynamite on the pp, has a tremendous work ethic both on and off the ice.

part of HP’s concerns, and scouts they talked to, is that he scored a lot against the bottom half of the OHL, and that OHL goalies in general sucked.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
what do they say about Raymond? what's his rank?

upload_2020-7-3_18-13-27.png

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I would consider jarvis over raymond. Not so much that raymond did anything bad but Jarvis got to "prove" himself in his draft year while raymond didn't really have the chance. And I know, people will say he did well for his role but I think it just leaves some doubt.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
part of HP’s concerns, and scouts they talked to, is that he scored a lot against the bottom half of the OHL, and that OHL goalies in general sucked.
Huh? I mean Byfield, Perfetti, Drysdale, Quinn shot against the same goalies. Did they make that comment for all of them? The WHL or the Q didn’t have better goalies let alone U.S. junior. Just seems like a brutal comment from a scout trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

Reactions: Aladyyn

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

for the quote:

“He scored at a 2.75 points-per-game rate against 'bottom teams' and a 1.27 points-per-game rate against 'top teams'.”

Good player scores more against bad teams...more at 11

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Huh? I mean Byfield, Perfetti, Drysdale, Quinn shot against the same goalies. Did they make that comment for all of them? The WHL or the Q didn’t have better goalies let alone U.S. junior. Just seems like a brutal comment from a scout trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

this is what was said.

plus, the quotes were from pro scouts

for the quote:

“He scored at a 2.75 points-per-game rate against 'bottom teams' and a 1.27 points-per-game rate against 'top teams'.”

Good player scores more against bad teams...more at 11

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
This board is all over the place. Crazy draft. I’m hoping one of Rossi or Drysdale falls to us but but won’t be mad at Raymond, Sanderson or Quinn. Rossi is likely up with Cozens at D+1 and all the sudden the Sabres look much different up front if they both pan out, which looks highly likely. Now with that, imagine if Tage and Mitts even become respectable offensive minded 3rd liners.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I don't remember last year's top 10 being so filled with doubts about them. I thought I was sold on Raymond but now I'm reading so many contrary opinions on him .... and everybody else other than Lafreniere, Stutzel and Drysdale. Last year I was prepared for and satisfied with either Zegras or Cozens, confident in either of those options and both had excellent D+1 seasons. Can't say the same about Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti this year.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not trying to be a shill for hockey prospect, but the black book is a really good draft guide. Mark Edwards has a scouting staff who goes on the road and actually scouts. You get their in depth analysis of players, and then each report from games they attend.

Even more, at the end of each player report, they include quotes from actual NHL scouts about the player. Very informative, especially to see how the scouts disagree.

I get the hard copy book every year and I’m never disappointed.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Not trying to be a shill for hockey prospect, but the black book is a really good draft guide. Mark Edwards has a scouting staff who goes on the road and actually scouts. You get their in depth analysis of players, and then each report from games they attend.

Even more, at the end of each player report, they include quotes from actual NHL scouts about the player. Very informative, especially to see how the scouts disagree.

How long have you gotten it, and how well would you say the insights project?

Also regarding the scouts disagreeing, that probably speaks a bit to why the drafts are always a somewhat a crapshoot, and partially why the draft lists that are some slight rearrangement of the same 35ish players are usually not super accurate down the road.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

I like HP and have bought the black book in the past. I typically have liked their rankings less over the past few years, where they sometimes love and sometimes hate my favorite prospects. This year is no different. I have Lundell, Jarvis and Rossi all top 6.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
How long have you gotten it, and how well would you say the insights project?

Also regarding the scouts disagreeing, that probably speaks a bit to why the drafts are always a somewhat a crapshoot, and partially why the draft lists that are some slight rearrangement of the same 35ish players are usually not super accurate down the road.

like any scouting service or NHL scouting department, it’s hit or miss. But the insights are fantastic. They are typically spot on as far as player strengths and weaknesses. How players develop from the draft day though is where it’s hit or miss.

Reactions: jc17

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
If ever there was a year to just take Best Player Available and move on, this is is. With all the uncertainty about when the NHL will start up again and with there being a flat cap for the next couple of years, this is the time to just add and keep good young assets and wait and see how everything shakes out. I know that is, understandably, hard to accept for some as it has been a long and ugly 9 years, but as they say: to get out of a hole one must first stop digging.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
If ever there was a year to just take Best Player Available and move on, this is is. With all the uncertainty about when the NHL will start up again and with there being a flat cap for the next couple of years, this is the time to just add and keep good young assets and wait and see how everything shakes out. I know that is, understandably, hard to accept for some as it has been a long and ugly 9 years, but as they say: to get out of a hole one must first stop digging.
I think that's been their philosophy all along but their scouting dept hasn't been good at ranking them.

Reactions: truthbluth and jc17

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think that's been their philosophy all along but their scouting dept hasn't been good at ranking them.
This is true with any team really. Even if a team drafts a dman for need its probably less than a 50% chance the next forward on their list is actually the bpa

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Or they could try to build an actual team and we can dispel this myth that they A: know who the best player available is or B: that there’s any chance any non forward at 8 is in a different tier than an available forward.

enough of the false narratives.

Draft a forward.

Jake Bielecki

Jul 5, 2020
Aside from the top 3, I won't be excited with anyone other than Rossi or Holtz. I guess you could throw in Perfetti as well. Raymond getting too much hype here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad