Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I just think it is the familiarity thing.

I don't believe that Crowe will only take NTDP guys. I just wonder if he will lean towards them when picking from a similar tier.

Pronman's 2020 NHL Draft Board: Top 122 prospects

Using Pronman's tiers for an example, we woouldn't have to worry about it as he has Sanderson in the 10-13 tier.

But, if the Sabres have Sanderson in a bigger tier like 4-13, then things could get tricky.

I hope that Drysdale and Sanderson go top 7 and we don't have to worry about it.

And I won't mind if they get Sean Farrell if he falls to the 4th round. I like most of the Chicago Steel guys.
I think it could go either way. If he knows Sanderson's game better he might also be more aware of weaknesses. For me, I'd rather have a forward but dont think I'd be too upset if Drysdale fell.

Regarding the other USHL guys Colangelo is 3rd in even strength pts/g behind Turcotte and Roslovic, since 2013 which is as far back as pick224's stats go. Seems like he could go as high as the 2nd so I'm not holding my breath but I thought that stood out. Same with Gushchin

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
outside of picking pockets is pretty useless on defense
Its pretty crazy how good he is at this though. I cant decide if it makes up for the other stuff or not. There have even been a number of plays I've seen where he is pushed off the puck in the o-zone, but then immediately takes it back and sets up a teammate.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Old Navy Goat, Cheese Breadman and every other who thinks Perfetti isn't worthy 8th overall selection. I'm pretty sure you didn't see him playing so often. Tell me how is it possible he is so productive on every stage where he's playing. Despite Byfield is bigger, stronger and quicker and still Perfetti outproduced and outplayed him in Team Canada everytime so easily? Tell me how is it possible?

It's simple, Cole Perfetti is very very good in hockey. When he has a puck on his stick I feel something special is gonna happen. I'm not telling he is going to be next Gretzky but if there is one player with the most similar playing style to Wayne, it's Perfetti. Gretzky also wasn't physical specimen, the best skater in the world or the strongest player... and still the best player in history? Think about it...

I can imagine situation when 17 y.o. Gretzky is coming to the draft and you tell : We don't want him, he is a bad skater and soft, give us Carl Hagelin instead ! (just funny example) :D

I know points aren't everything but here I'm pretty sure Perfetti will be better point producer in NHL than 95 percent of players from this draft, mark my words.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Times have changed and skating has become more important than in the past. Hockey sense and compete are something most of the top draft possibilities have--so more and more I am drawn to Seth Jarvis--something that shocks me. He is same size as Rossi and Perfetti, led WHL in scoring in second half of season-second overall- and is considered a very good skater-the latter a bit of a knock on those 2. He is also a centre who can play wing. Not sure where I will be on draft day but he deserves consideration.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I don’t understand the skating comments with Rossi. Scouching said he timed him at his fastest blue line to blue line at 1.6 seconds which tied him with Steutzle’s fastest time. Rossi is a great skater, he just uses his speed when he needs it rather then going 100 miles an hour at all times.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Old Navy Goat, Cheese Breadman and every other who thinks Perfetti isn't worthy 8th overall selection. I'm pretty sure you didn't see him playing so often. Tell me how is it possible he is so productive on every stage where he's playing. Despite Byfield is bigger, stronger and quicker and still Perfetti outproduced and outplayed him in Team Canada everytime so easily? Tell me how is it possible?

It's simple, Cole Perfetti is very very good in hockey. When he has a puck on his stick I feel something special is gonna happen. I'm not telling he is going to be next Gretzky but if there is one player with the most similar playing style to Wayne, it's Perfetti. Gretzky also wasn't physical specimen, the best skater in the world or the strongest player... and still the best player in history? Think about it...

I can imagine situation when 17 y.o. Gretzky is coming to the draft and you tell : We don't want him, he is a bad skater and soft, give us Carl Hagelin instead ! (just funny example) :D

I know points aren't everything but here I'm pretty sure Perfetti will be better point producer in NHL than 95 percent of players from this draft, mark my words.
Overall, I agree. And I would probably take him 8th if available. Most picks that produce at the level that Perfetti did, not only in his draft year, but in his pre-draft year, turn out pretty darn well, and few are without blemish.

However, no one is beyond scrutiny which is why guys like Perfetti, Rossi, and even Byfield have people raising question marks. Like I said, most guys that do what he did pan out. But there are Yakupovs, Petans Shinkaruks, Glennies, Phillips, etc that produced in junior and not the NHL, and I cant blame people for still trying to make sure they are getting the quality majority and not the few "busts". At a certain point you do have to wonder if the characteristics of a bust were always there or if a good chunk of it comes down to luck. I feel there's a lot of revisionist history that happens when guys bust and you get people talking about "I knew his hockey iq was low, I knew his skating was bad" and so on..

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I don’t understand the skating comments with Rossi. Scouching said he timed him at his fastest blue line to blue line at 1.6 seconds which tied him with Steutzle’s fastest time. Rossi is a great skater, he just uses his speed when he needs it rather then going 100 miles an hour at all times.
Black Book rates his skating a 5 out of possible 9 with Jarvis rated a 7.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
what do they say about Raymond? what's his rank?

Almost four pages on Raymond. Line driver with some Marner to his game. Development stalled in the SHL. Basically regressed in a lot of areas. Hard evaluation because he played against men. And NHL scouts said he didn’t try when he went down to SuperElite and he also was a bad interview.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Black book:

Loved Sanderson. So did scouts. Safe top 3 defender who has size, skating, hockey IQ.

Some scouts rated Quinn over Rossi. A lot of TJ Oshie to his game.

Holtz was not viewed as highly by scouts as I would’ve thought. Basically he’s a guy with an elite shot but everything else is meh.

Jarvis got rave reviews from NHL scouts. Marner-lite.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Black book:

Loved Sanderson. So did scouts. Safe top 3 defender who has size, skating, hockey IQ.

Holtz was not viewed as highly by scouts as I would’ve thought. Basically he’s a guy with an elite shot but everything else is meh.

Jarvis pushes play, likes to play with pace. He did a 180 from beginning to end of year.

I've been on Quinn for awhile, love his complete game. I would still go Rossi over him

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Black book:

I’m really curious to hear what they don’t like about two of my favorites in Lundell and Zary. Both of them have lower rankings in hp than anywhere else.

Efectzoer

Jun 22, 2018
I’m really curious to hear what they don’t like about two of my favorites in Lundell and Zary. Both of them have lower rankings in hp than anywhere else.
I feel like you pick those players closer to 20 than where we are at 8.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I feel like you pick those players closer to 20 than where we are at 8.
I would pick both of them over any defenseman in this draft and over Holtz, and maybe Raymond. It’d be close with Perfetti for me. Seth Jarvis ahead of both.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
That was my guess but Zary is not that bad of a skater. And that seems in conflict with having Perfetti so high, which is what made me curious.

Perfetti was offset by very high skill level, elite hockey IQ, and that he’s physically immature with lots of room to grow.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Perfetti was offset by very high skill level, elite hockey IQ, and that he’s physically immature with lots of room to grow.
Ah I get it. Makes sense. Lundell did what he did against men though. His ranking in HP, to me, seems absurd.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If teams jump at Quinn and Sanderson that could leave someone with a little higher ceiling for us

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If teams jump at Quinn and Sanderson that could leave someone with a little higher ceiling for us

As far as ceilings and floors from black book:

Rossi is viewed as basically developed with some busy potential.

Quinn, Jarvis, Perfetti, and Raymond have lots of room to develop.

Sanderson is a lower ceiling but still room to develop offensively. Basically zero bust potential. Also voted the best teammate by the USNTDP.

Holtz has some room to grow but he’s basically a one trick pony.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That's why I wanted to trade Risto or Montour in Dallas or Calgary for 1st, so that in addition to #8 we could try to take someone from Zary, Jarvis, Amirov, Mercer, Khusnutdinov, Gunler, Mysak or Reichel.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
As far as ceilings and floors from black book:

Rossi is viewed as basically developed with some busy potential.

Quinn, Jarvis, Perfetti, and Raymond have lots of room to develop.

Sanderson is a lower ceiling but still room to develop offensively. Basically zero bust potential. Also voted the best teammate by the USNTDP.

Holtz has some room to grow but he’s basically a one trick pony.

That’s part of the reason I’m pushing for Rossi. I have no confidence in being able to develop the potential out of guys. Rossi is already a really really good player.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
That's why I wanted to trade Risto or Montour in Dallas or Calgary for 1st, so that in addition to #8 we could try to take someone from Zary, Jarvis, Amirov, Mercer, Khusnutdinov, Gunler, Mysak or Reichel.

I'd take Jarvis at 8. He could definitely be one of those players you look back on in 3-4 years and wonder how the hell they slipped to the middle of the 1st.

Reactions: truthbluth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad