Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Whats everyone's ranking of Nybeck, Hirvonen, Reichel, Wallinder? And what other 2nd rounders are you hoping are available at 38

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Whats everyone's ranking of Nybeck, Hirvonen, Reichel, Wallinder? And what other 2nd rounders are you hoping are available at 38

Wallinder - Has raw potential to become a special D with his size, speed, skill combo. Should go 1st round.
Reichel - Great year in a men's league. Very high IQ player. Another guy who should go 1st round but may not.
Nybeck - Super skilled, super small. For someone his height, he isn't the quickest guy around. High bust potential but by 38 he becomes a decent option.
Hirvonen - Put up a decent season in a men's league but wouldn't be my choice at 38. Think he has a lot to work on in regards to strength, explosiveness and two-way game to overcome his size at the NHL level.

Wallinder and Reichel are two of my biggest hopefuls. Marat Khusnutdinov, Topi Niemela, JJ Peterka and Jake Neighbours are some of my other choices up there too.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

My order of preference in limited viewings is:
Reichel
Hirvonen
Nybeck
Wallinder

I like both Reichel and Hirvonen, maybe equally, and I'd be ecstatic with either in the 2nd.

I'm not typically one that pays much attention to player height, but for some reason Nybeck's height scares me off a bit. I don't think the skill is quite high-end enough (I could be way off and I hope he proves me wrong).

Wallinder's tools are amazing, but his IQ gives me big time pause.

Not sure who else I'd be happy with in the 2nd, there always seems to be a half dozen guys that fall and that tier seems to run pretty deep. To be honest I'm pretty excited about the 3rd/4th rounds this year, I've really taken a liking to several prospects in that next tier like Tullio, Tuch, Heineman, Laferierre, Johannesson...

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
My order of preference in limited viewings is:
Reichel
Hirvonen
Nybeck
Wallinder

I like both Reichel and Hirvonen, maybe equally, and I'd be ecstatic with either in the 2nd.

I'm not typically one that pays much attention to player height, but for some reason Nybeck's height scares me off a bit. I don't think the skill is quite high-end enough (I could be way off and I hope he proves me wrong).

Wallinder's tools are amazing, but his IQ gives me big time pause.

Not sure who else I'd be happy with in the 2nd, there always seems to be a half dozen guys that fall and that tier seems to run pretty deep. To be honest I'm pretty excited about the 3rd/4th rounds this year, I've really taken a liking to several prospects in that next tier like Tullio, Tuch, Heineman, Laferierre, Johannesson...
Agreed with the last point, although this is the first year I've really looked deeper into the draft so maybe I would have fallen in love with guys other years too that end up being your typical late rounders. Either way it'd be nice to have a third or an extra 4th. Too bad we wasted one on Frolik.

I also like Heineman and Laferierre, and would add Bantle, Robins and Kuntar to the mix. Ovchinnikov hype is also getting interesting.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
upload_2020-6-3_9-16-9.png

This posters description of Sanderson makes him sound like prime Sabres material

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I could live with this:

(8) Lucas Raymond, RW/LW
(38) Roni Hirvonen, C
(100) Jack Finley, C
(131) Alex Laferriere, RW
(193) Carsen Richels, RW
(210) Winter Wallace, C

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Wow, people are desperate to have Alex Laferriere in this organization. Almost every mock draft people post have him as a 4-5th round pick:D

My biggest fear is that the Sabres win the lottery but Botts blows the pick by mistakenly announcing Laferriere instead of Lafreniere and the League says sorry, you announced the name, can’t change it. Botts then tries to justify the blunder by stating they wanted Laferriere because of his college rights they will have the player’s rights longer.:naughty:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I wouldnt use anything higher than a 6th on him, but this guy is a wrecking ball

This might be the funniest highlight reel I've ever seen. When he's not running over guys, he's trying to beat forecheckers with dekes at his own blue-line and behind the back passes off the boards in, all incredibly slowly.

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I wouldnt use anything higher than a 6th on him, but this guy is a wrecking ball

This might be the funniest highlight reel I've ever seen. When he's not running over guys, he's trying to beat forecheckers with dekes at his own blue-line and behind the back passes off the boards in, all incredibly slowly.

My wife and I watched 6 minutes of this and laughed almost the whole time. It’s like he barely notices the puck.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Hey everyone :) got a new hype reel for Alex Holtz

Hope you enjoy - I'll leave my thoughts on him below!

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Hey everyone :) got a new hype reel for Alex Holtz

Hope you enjoy - I'll leave my thoughts on him below!

Holtz had an impressive season with Djurgardens in the SHL. His biggest strength is his shot, but what I like most about him is he doesn't back down physically despite playing in a men's league.

For the Sabres, I would prefer Raymond because I think he sees the ice better but for a pure scorer you can't go wrong with Holtz either :)

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
My wife and I watched 6 minutes of this and laughed almost the whole time. It’s like he barely notices the puck.
Later on in the video it highlights some of his shots, skating, stick handling, and also defensive errors. The last 4 minutes are absolutely brutal mistakes, but the positive highlights show why someone might take a chance on him. Boom or bust to a huge degree

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Later on in the video it highlights some of his shots, skating, stick handling, and also defensive errors. The last 4 minutes are absolutely brutal mistakes, but the positive highlights show why someone might take a chance on him. Boom or bust to a huge degree

We were laughing too hard to get that far to be honest.

Reactions: jc17

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Holtz had an impressive season with Djurgardens in the SHL. His biggest strength is his shot, but what I like most about him is he doesn't back down physically despite playing in a men's league.

For the Sabres, I would prefer Raymond because I think he sees the ice better but for a pure scorer you can't go wrong with Holtz either :)
Holtz reminds me someone, but he's a better skater.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

He's a real life "Be a Pro" player...

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Nikishin is too entertaining to NOT take in the mid-rounds. Honestly, he has his flaws clearly, but I have no problem with using our 4th on him. He is just such a weird combo of crushing hits and insane stick handling that you don't see often. One of my favourites.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Yeah I think this was the first time I've ever laughed at a highlight reel.

I havent been super high on him, but if thats what he ended up being I'd take it in a heart beat
I think he'll put up some 50 goal seasons if Lindy Ruff doesn't try to turn him into a 2 way player. :laugh:

This is even better comparable. He's not much of a skater unless he has the puck.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe we will need to trade in order to improve the choice and take Stutzle or Rossi, although I would not refuse Raymond?

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Who has a good chance at playing opening night for 20-21? Do you think Alexis (if we won the lottery) could jump into a #2 center role right away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad