Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Why are so many people ranking Lundell in their top 10? Lundell does not have the same ceiling as a lot of these players who are in this 10 - 20 range.
He has a higher floor than most of the other prospects and his ceiling isn't lower than the 4th tier. People see him as a pretty safe option to at least be a 3C with the possibility of being a 2C if he can improve his quickness

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Wheeler: Final ranking for the 2020 NHL Draft's top 100...

9. Anton Lundell — C, HIFK, 6-foot-1

There are some misnomers out there about Lundell’s talent level and skating as being major concerns in considering him a top-10 pick. I disagree, to varying degrees, on both of those positions. He doesn’t have the dynamic qualities of the forwards listed ahead of him on my board, and he’s never going to consistently burn defenders off the rush, but he’s a better passer than he normally gets credit for, he’s heavier on the cycle than most of his peers, he can play through the middle of the ice and he makes decisions and reads quickly, which is just as important (if not more important) as his actual foot speed. It always feels like Lundell is involved and impacting a game (with and without the puck). Over the course of a game, that drives results. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that as a teenager in a top pro league, Lundell had a positive impact on possession, played more than 15 minutes a night or won 53.5 percent of his draws while producing offence consistently.

In the video below you can see some of the visual cues that might prompt some negative takeaways in watching Lundell. He’s got a hunch in his stride and a pitchfork skating stance that he will need to work to clean up. But where is he through the sequence? He’s involved and on the puck. And what is the outcome? Well, it’s Lundell finishing high and short-side:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Unfortunately I can’t believe they rig a lottery that would send McDavid to Edmonton. They can rig a system that makes sure Chicago and Montreal get into the playoffs that we won’t call playoffs and if they fail still get to be in the lottery though. That they’re all about.

A payment for gifting the skinny smart one and mckillya to lala that succeeded in the diluted expansion and ......

..bettman saying buff is an essential franchise.. Ill be pissed if we arent top three and a mind control implant isnt placed middlingstat to teach him to see the game faster as another payoff for 25... Its a business and just parity entertainment decried the almost supreme court.

Last edited:

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Worst case scenrio for me is if we drop a spot in the lottery and 1-7 is Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, Rossi, Drysdale, Holtz.

No clue who I would want then.

Perfetti - Not a fan and really question if he has good enough speed, strength and two-way game to put it all together. Great upside though.

Gunler - Less popular opinion, but I have him right up there and slightly ahead of Perfetti. To me, his flaws aren't as large and it is more inconsistency that can be worked on.

Lundell - Best fit maybe, but I have a handful of others ranked ahead of him. Serious doubts about his upside

Sanderson - This wouldn't be my choice but is a very real option. I think he would be a great defensive LD behind Dahlin, but would still go for a forward more likely.

Askarov - Highest ranked player for me, but goalies are still a crapshoot and we have so many bigger needs.

Doubt it would ever happen, but I would probably take Gunler.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Intersting article today by Damien Cox of Toronto Star-"The League is helping to Keep the
sabres down"

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
For me its a toss up between Lundell and Quinn as I can make an argument for both. With Lundell you get your 3C for the next 6yrs, while Quinn gives you a Mark Stonesque winger

Yeah I should have included Quinn in there. I have cooled on him a bit. Don't see a real play driver at the next level. But if those other guys are gone, I would consider him too as a complimentary scorer for our top-6.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Worst case scenrio for me is if we drop a spot in the lottery and 1-7 is Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, Rossi, Drysdale, Holtz.

Perfetti - Not a fan and really question if he has good enough speed, strength and two-way game to put it all together. Great upside though.

Gunler - Less popular opinion, but I have him right up there and slightly ahead of Perfetti. To me, his flaws aren't as large and it is more inconsistency that can be worked on.

Lundell - Best fit maybe, but I have a handful of others ranked ahead of him. Serious doubts about his upside

Sanderson - This wouldn't be my choice but is a very real option. I think he would be a great defensive LD behind Dahlin, but would still go for a forward more likely.

Askarov - Highest ranked player for me, but goalies are still a crapshoot and we have so many bigger needs.

I look to trade down a few spots and pick up an asset, or trade the pick outright. 8th overall + Jake McCabe for Dylan Strome + Y

Efectzoer

Jun 22, 2018

Why do people rank Perfetti so high while never mentioning Jarvis?

Last edited:

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Why do people like rank Perfetti so high while never mentioning Jarvis?

I actually meant to list Jarvis too who I am very high on. I have him, Gunler and Perfetti all closely packed in the 9-11 range.

However, Perfetti is a consensus top-10 pick while Jarvis is rarely mentioned there, so I doubt it happens.

Efectzoer

Jun 22, 2018
I actually meant to list Jarvis too who I am very high on. I have him, Gunler and Perfetti all closely packed in the 9-11 range.

However, Perfetti is a consensus top-10 pick while Jarvis is rarely mentioned there, so I doubt it happens.
From what I've watched of him he seems to be a better player than Perfetti. Jarvis' speed I think will really help him. Jarvis likes to make his plays at a fast pace while Perfetti likes to slow the game down more.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
From what I've watched of him he seems to be a better player than Perfetti. Jarvis' speed I think will really help him. Jarvis likes to make his plays at a fast pace while Perfetti likes to slow the game down more.

I agree about their play style. But Perfetti clearly has better offensive tools if he does put it together. His shot, playmaking and hands are all better than Jarvis. Speed and better two-way game IMO is the reason why I have Jarvis right there with him though.

If we picked 8 like in this scenario, and chose Jarvis, I wouldn't be mad at all....but I would be shocked.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think Perfetti's just been on the radar longer. Comparing their draft-1 years, Perfetti led his team in points while Jarvis was buried a little further down. The year before, Jarvis was playing at a school in which he had similar points to Robins, a guy expected to go in the mid-rounds, whereas Perfetti was putting up some big numbers in his AAA league.

In addition the points, I think there are a lot of people that see Perfetti's offensive ability like his shot and playmaking as more refined, while Jarvis was probably able to score more because of his speed. Maybe some people don't think that will translate as well, I dont know.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Why do so many people decide that skating speed= being better?

Geoff Sanderson skated faster then Gretzky. I think I would pick Gretzky:naughty:

Skating fast is nice but if you don’t have the anticipation of when to use it, skill to go with it, the brain to process at the high speed or work ethic to use it consistently it really doesn’t mean much. There is so much more to being successful in today’s NHL then “ he skates fast”.

Efectzoer

Jun 22, 2018
Why do so many people decide that skating speed= being better?

Geoff Sanderson skated faster then Gretzky. I think I would pick Gretzky:naughty:

Skating fast is nice but if you don’t have the anticipation of when to use it, skill to go with it, the brain to process at the high speed or work ethic to use it consistently it really doesn’t mean much. There is so much more to being successful in today’s NHL then “ he skates fast”.
I'm not saying all Jarvis has is speed. I'm saying that is his biggest asset. He is also very good with his hands and is a good playmaker too. He also isn't scared to go to the corners or drive to the net.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I'm not saying all Jarvis has is speed. I'm saying that is his biggest asset. He is also very good with his hands and is a good playmaker too. He also isn't scared to go to the corners or drive to the net.

wasn’t meant to call you out. I have seen so many posts where people have said player x is faster then player y so he is better. Just a pet peeve.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So for fun....I did a draft based on Wheeler's rankings:

3.) Marco Rossi, C
38.) Jereme Poirier, LD
100.) Alex Laferriere, RW
131.) Ivan Didkovsky, RW
193.) Pavel Gogolev, LW
210.) Winter Wallace, C (not on Wheeler's list)

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I like Wallace as well. Big kid from a hockey factory.

After round 1, the theme was big centers. I’m actually pretty happy with this.

(8) Alexander Holtz, RW/LW
(38) Brendan Brisson, C
(100) Jack Finley, C
(131) William Dufour, RW
(193) Winter Wallace, C
(210) Logan Stein, G

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I want Lundell, Holtz or Raymond (In that order). Unless somehow we win the lottery for some ungodly reason. After those three forwards I have Askarov as a realistic target. I'm not that high on Rossi, though his numbers have warrant value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad