Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah I could see Laf, Rossi stepping right into the NHL, along with Lundell and maybe Stutzle. Holtz and Raymond played pro but I dont know if a 2nd year in a row of limited minutes would be good for them. I think Byfield would be overwhelmed in a 2c role immediately and perfetti has a lot to work on as well.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah I could see Laf, Rossi stepping right into the NHL, along with Lundell and maybe Stutzle. Holtz and Raymond played pro but I dont know if a 2nd year in a row of limited minutes would be good for them. I think Byfield would be overwhelmed in a 2c role immediately and perfetti has a lot to work on as well.

The interesting thing with these decisions will be that the CHL & European leagues may be starting their 2020-21 season well before the NHL season starts. So, that may make it tougher for 2020 draftees to get pulled into camp.

Especially the European based players.

Reactions: Fezzy126 and jc17

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Look at Jesperi Kotkaniemi, made the NHL at 18. Ended up in the AHL the next season. Making it at 18 doesn’t mean clear sailing. Every player is different but outside of the top pick, most are better off long term to play another year at a lower league and properly mature and grow as a player.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Look at Jesperi Kotkaniemi, made the NHL at 18. Ended up in the AHL the next season. Making it at 18 doesn’t mean clear sailing. Every player is different but outside of the top pick, most are better off long term to play another year at a lower league and properly mature and grow as a player.

Kotkaniemi had no business being in the NHL at 18, I think anyone who paid attention to him as a player and how he was a big reach pick at the draft understood that. The only reason he was in the NHL is because MTL is also run by clowns and they pulled a Sabres move by rushing a prospect because they were desperate for centers.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I won't be shocked if there are almost no players in this draft class that play in the NHL in the 2020-21 season because of what is going on.

Last edited:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Sounds a lot like Reinhart, but with a better shot and a stronger preference for shooting over passing. But as far as transition and defensive zone play goes, pretty on the money.
Yeah I get that comparison offensively. Sometimes you want him to use his skill to make stuff happen but he'd rather just keep things moving and not force stuff himself if necessary.

Seems like he could be a good 2 way player if he skated better and worked a little harder which is a huge if. Hes not good at pursuing the puck but every time I've watched him he defends 1 on 1 pretty well. Takeaways, broken up passes, etc.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Given the Sabre’s current and prospect needs. I think Jake Neighbours in the 2nd round is a perfect fit.
Can’t really go wrong in the 1st with any of Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti etc..... but if they can get a guy like Neighbours in the 2nd that can be a big North-South winger who brings size, physicality, heaviness on the puck and on the forecheck as well as a legit net front presence at 5v5 and the PP. He seems to be a prototypical Boston or STL type of player, would luv to see him go to BUF and compliment all their high end skill

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Wingers and centers in the second round? But we all know that Botterill will choose another LD.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Wingers and centers in the second round? But we all know that Botterill will choose another LD.
Lmao if he goes D I think Niemela would be a solid choice (while also keeping the redundancy of puck moving under physical RHD in the Sabre’s system LOL) he reminds me a lot of shattenkirk(when he was actually good) with his calm poised puck moving ability and ability to get shots through

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I keep seeing Heineman projected like 2nd round now. I was hoping based on a few rankings he'd be available later but it doesnt seem like people are really sleeping on him any more

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I know Lundell is my guy, but if Botterill went off the board and picked Khusnutdinov at 7/8.

I've watched very limited tape on Khusnutdinov, but there's just something about his game I don't like. I can't put my finger on what it is. I can see the talent and why others like him, but I just can't get there.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I've watched very limited tape on Khusnutdinov, but there's just something about his game I don't like. I can't put my finger on what it is. I can see the talent and why others like him, but I just can't get there.

The only gap in his game, in my mind, is his size. He's also not going to go around hammering folks, but he's not afraid to go into the corners.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe Botterill Russophobe? :naughty:

I wonder if Drysdale suddenly falls to our choice, are we taking it?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Maybe Botterill Russophobe? :naughty:

I wonder if Drysdale suddenly falls to our choice, are we taking it?

If Drysdale falls that far, it's hard to imagine a scenario where he's not the clear BPA. I think you have to take him. So what that we have too many RHD already? None of them project at his level; just means we'll have to eventually trade 2 instead of 1 of Risto/Montour/Miller.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
draftsim

I've been playing around a lot with this a lot lately.

I have had a ton of lottery luck today and I've been very active with trading back and adding picks.

This might be my favorite one of the day. I won the 1OV pick in the lottery and traded back one spot twice to the 3rd pick. I'm not afraid of Russian players, so...

Buffalo Sabres
(3) Tim Stutzle, C
(15) Yaroslav Askarov, G
(34) Lukas Reichel, LW/C
(131) Alex Laferriere, RW
(185) Alex Jefferies, LW
(209) Theo Nordlund, LD
(210) Maxim Beryozkin, LW
(213) Nikita Yefremov, LD

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
draftsim

I've been playing around a lot with this a lot lately.

I have had a ton of lottery luck today and I've been very active with trading back and adding picks.

This might be my favorite one of the day. I won the 1OV pick in the lottery and traded back one spot twice to the 3rd pick. I'm not afraid of Russian players, so...

Buffalo Sabres
(3) Tim Stutzle, C
(15) Yaroslav Askarov, G
(34) Lukas Reichel, LW/C
(131) Alex Laferriere, RW
(185) Alex Jefferies, LW
(209) Theo Nordlund, LD
(210) Maxim Beryozkin, LW
(213) Nikita Yefremov, LD

You broke it. That’s a great draft

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018