Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
This is perhaps the best I've felt about our pipeline in a long time. No glaring weakness I think need filled. To the extent I do see an organizational need, though, it's a heady, 2-way center. Someone that projects in a Drury/ROR type role. I don't think we really have anyone like that in the pipeline. To the extent I'm hoping for someone like that in the first this year, anyone to keep an eye on?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is perhaps the best I've felt about our pipeline in a long time. No glaring weakness I think need filled. To the extent I do see an organizational need, though, it's a heady, 2-way center. Someone that projects in a Drury/ROR type role. I don't think we really have anyone like that in the pipeline. To the extent I'm hoping for someone like that in the first this year, anyone to keep an eye on?

Would the player you describe be viewed as Cozens potentially?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Would the player you describe be viewed as Cozens potentially?
Eh. I'm not as tuned in as I used to be, but I think of Cozens as more of an offensive guy. From my limited viewings I haven't seen much that screams elite IQ or high end defensive potential. Maybe I'm way off there though.

Reading through the thread, it looks like Lundell is the guy I'm after?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Eh. I'm not as tuned in as I used to be, but I think of Cozens as more of an offensive guy. From my limited viewings I haven't seen much that screams elite IQ or high end defensive potential. Maybe I'm way off there though.

Cozens should end up as Jordan Staal with better wheels if we are lucky and don't get Girgensons 2.0

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think Cozens has more offensive talent than J Staal.

But we shall see.
I don't think Jordan Stall had an opportunity to develop his offensive game. Another year in juniors might have made a big difference in his career. Being physically developed beyond their years was not a good thing Staal, Girgensons, and Lazar.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't think Jordan Stall had an opportunity to develop his offensive game. Another year in juniors might have made a big difference in his career. Being physically developed beyond their years was not a good thing Staal, Girgensons, and Lazar.

Even in their pre-draft seasons, Cozens seemed to show more offensive talent.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Even in their pre-draft seasons, Cozens seemed to show more offensive talent.

While I agree I think Staal is/was smarter at that age in terms of IQ which might drag their offensive output down to even-ish. but we shall see, I hope I am wrong for sure.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
What's the deal on Byfield, the Sudbury kid. I knew lafreniere for years, but no idea about the other guy. Looks big.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If the Sabres are firmly in a playoff spot is it worth using our 1st in a trade for a 2C with term?? How is this draft in the 20-31 range??

If we do keep the pick a RW almost has to be the pick.

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Cozens-2020 1st
X-Mitts-Thompson

Drool worthy top 9 in 2022.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What's the deal on Byfield, the Sudbury kid. I knew lafreniere for years, but no idea about the other guy. Looks big.

Some press (and from eyeballing him a bit I would agree) have him as the best skating, big center to come out of Canada since Lindros. He's not the physical player that Lindros was, obviously, but he is someone who would be hard to contain from doing what he wants with the puck.

DA's early writeup: 2020 Draft Profile: C Quinton Byfield – The Draft Analyst

Dobber's: Quinton Byfield

@Brock wrote this a few weeks ago here: OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - Most Impressive 2002 Born Players

1. Quinton Byfield - Forward - Sudbury Wolves
Tough choice to put Byfield ahead of Perfetti, considering Perfetti has posted a top 10 ppg average of any rookie in the new millenium and put up the best statistical season of a rookie since Travis Konecny 5 years ago. But, any time that I've watched Sudbury play, I've come away absolutely enamored with Byfield's physical skills. He's an absolutely electrifying player to watch. 6'5, 215lbs and one of the best skaters in the OHL. He plays all situations for the Wolves and isn't surrounded by the same level of talent as Perfetti is (not to take away from his amazing accomplishments, however). It just seems like that at any given time, Byfield can do as he wishes on the ice. Coming into the league, there were some that felt his vision and playmaking ability were weak spots, but I've been impressed with the way he uses his teammates. Way less selfishness in his game than I was expecting. This kid is the real deal, complete package and could even enter the conversation for first overall next year (due to the physical gifts that he has over Lafreniere).

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I'm looking forward to Team Canada at the WJCs this season. A) for Cozens but B) because I think both Lafrienere and Byfield could play and play well for them.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

Couzens is great defensively a good 200 ft player

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If we end up with a pick in the 20-31 range I would like to target Kaiden Guhle..good bloodlines (Brendans Brother), LHD who was the #1 pick in the WHL draft few years ago. D is not a need but if we keep our 1st and there aren't any no brainer RW prospects taking Guhle would be a good plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->