Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Man, people are realllly hyping this draft class, and I still don’t see it.

Good? Yes. 2015 good? No.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Man, people are realllly hyping this draft class, and I still don’t see it.

Good? Yes. 2015 good? No.

That top 9 in 2015 has been pretty good. Then there is that pre-Barzal interlude and then back to frequent goodness. Funny that.

It seems almost every year starts with some praise, then tapers as people view the usual suspects repeatedly, then bounces back late in the scouting cycle. The conversation seems to run from "it's a great/deep draft" to "maybe this isn't as great/deep as we thought" to "I wonder if this isn't a good draft" and then finally to "this draft is fine". I await the pundits reporting that anonymous team guys (scouts/AGM's/GM's) are "starting to wonder about the quality of the draft". That usually happens mid-season, when some viewing fatigue sets it.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
That top 9 in 2015 has been pretty good. Then there is that pre-Barzal interlude and then back to frequent goodness. Funny that.

It seems almost every year starts with some praise, then tapers as people view the usual suspects repeatedly, then bounces back late in the scouting cycle. The conversation seems to run from "it's a great/deep draft" to "maybe this isn't as great/deep as we thought" to "I wonder if this isn't a good draft" and then finally to "this draft is fine". I await the pundits reporting that anonymous team guys (scouts/AGM's/GM's) are "starting to wonder about the quality of the draft". That usually happens mid-season, when some viewing fatigue sets it.

The depth of 2015 was unbelievable. After the top 20, there’s notables left and right: Aho, Carlo, Cirelli, konecny, samsonov, dermott, cernak, Andersson, Dunn, malgin.

And with the exception of cirelli, I knew all of these guys going into the draft.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watching Lundell a lot, and he's certainly very intriguing. He has some very smooth parts to his game already. Like Jaromir Pytlik from the Czechs, Haantanen from the Finns at first glance.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like an extremely forward-heavy draft this time around.

At the moment, yeah, but don't sleep on Jamie Drysdale. He has dynamic skating ability and creativity off the back end. I think a few of the early list top 10 forwards may sort themselves out a bit. Thinking Holtz since he's a bit of a one-trick pony... and what a trick that is (his shot) and now Gunler not getting on the Swede roster to the WJSS with some commentary about his attitude already.

Drysdale though... he could be something special.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lundell with one. Seems like every time the Finns make a nice play it's a Cane pick to another Cane pick. :biglaugh: Sprinkle in a Hawk in there as well.

Lundell gathered the puck with speed coming through the neutral zone on the left side of the ice and wired it off the rush. That was one of those "wow" sort of goals.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

That's the goal.

Cajka from the Otters just scored on some nice puck movement. He's also looked good, but he's another OA and a CHL one at that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Czechs come back from 4-2 down to tie it up at 4. Wait... no, the Finns score and it's 5-4 again. Jeez, every time I look up someone is netting one.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Joonas Oden and Kristian Tanus will both be OAs for the 202 draft, both looking good at the WJSS.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Seems like an extremely forward-heavy draft this time around.

That is fine with me. With Dahlin,Joki,Samuelsson, Pilut, Risto,Montour,Johnson and Borgen all in the organization and all 25 and younger we are set with D for awhile. What we need are more top 6 impact forwards now that Nylander is gone. With Olofsson graduating to the big club, besides Cozens there are not many quality forwards in the prospect pipeline.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
That is fine with me. With Dahlin,Joki,Samuelsson, Pilut, Risto,Montour,Johnson and Borgen all in the organization and all 25 and younger we are set with D for awhile. What we need are more top 6 impact forwards now that Nylander is gone. With Olofsson graduating to the big club, besides Cozens there are not many quality forwards in the prospect pipeline.

You talk about non-NHL/non-AHL, it's basically Cozens, some mid-level dicerolls (Pekar, Davidsson), and some longshots (Weissbach, Huglen, Cederqvist).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->