Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So who are the good goal scorers in this draft so I can not waste my time reading up on them?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This was the refuge for me for a long time -- watching kids coming up, wondering at what they might become even before they are drafted.

I may need to step back from being a Sabre fan before I get so jaded that even this is no longer enjoyable.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
9) Dawson Mercer (RW, Canada, Drummondville QMJHL)

OCTOBER RANKING: 35
NOVEMBER RANKING: 25
VARIATION: +10
ANALYSIS: Mercer is the kid from the Q that is really rising on most lists. He scored 30 goals in that league last season, so it’s not like Mercer came out of nowhere, but he’s been a consistent force this season. Mercer plays bigger than he is — sort of like Brad Marchand in that sense — and he’s got a real nose for the net with a finisher’s touch. I’m not ready to make that full-on comparison, but I could see him becoming a Brendan Gallagher type. Mercer has worked his way into my first round and into that 17-26 tier.

It looks interesting.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Yes I hope for a good pick in first round but it would be nice to draft someone who comes better than advertised--other teams seem to hit on this more than Sabres. Maybe just me being a Monday morning quarterback but when I see second round picks from last year -Kaliyev and Jenik- burning up the OHL averaging a goal a game and 2 points per game--and both being used on the PK-I grit my teeth.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes I hope for a good pick in first round but it would be nice to draft someone who comes better than advertised--other teams seem to hit on this more than Sabres. Maybe just me being a Monday morning quarterback but when I see second round picks from last year -Kaliyev and Jenik- burning up the OHL averaging a goal a game and 2 points per game--and both being used on the PK-I grit my teeth.

Well, ask yourself what do other teams look at when they are scouting that the Sabres aren't? Why is it that teams that put a premium on something that one can measure (like say, D or D-1 primary point generation or draft year production in the SHL or PPG scoring totals in Swedish or Finnish junior leagues) can turn up players who are shockingly able to out produce their draft location? Or why is it that in an era when data is more and more important, that the data folks look at the Sabres draft tendencies and scratch their heads?

And then further, why is it that most of their high-end prospects get rushed even if there are clear signs that they aren't fully ready? Mittelstadt and Thompson last year are prime examples of that.

They are not good at scouting or evaluation. They haven't been in a long time and their management team is not grabbing onto cutting edge shifts in assessment from what is written about them.

This isn't about the players. This is about who they draft and how they develop them.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Well, ask yourself what do other teams look at when they are scouting that the Sabres aren't? Why is it that teams that put a premium on something that one can measure (like say, D or D-1 primary point generation or draft year production in the SHL or PPG scoring totals in Swedish or Finnish junior leagues) can turn up players who are shockingly able to out produce their draft location? Or why is it that in an era when data is more and more important, that the data folks look at the Sabres draft tendencies and scratch their heads?

And then further, why is it that most of their high-end prospects get rushed even if there are clear signs that they aren't fully ready? Mittelstadt and Thompson last year are prime examples of that.

They are not good at scouting or evaluation. They haven't been in a long time and their management team is not grabbing onto cutting edge shifts in assessment from what is written about them.

This isn't about the players. This is about who they draft and how they develop them.
I agree with you and that is why I find it so upsetting. We draft players in the second round or later often from college so we have their rights longer...but if they are any good we sign them earlier and if we don't we risk they find free agency attractive. Playing for peanuts in the AHL and riding buses all over instead of a free ride at college with status, frat parties, hot chicks and a degree at the end? Coming from CHL those guys are used to long bus sides, double the games, and they want to be pros and will grab at AHL to take the next step while making a living. Refusing to consider that other than for top part of first round is short sighted. And that is just part of it as Chain set out.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
So, who we looking at drafting at 8?

Edit: Looks like someone beat me to it.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Skinner Eichel Marjo
Olofsson Byfield Reinhart
Girgs Larson Cozens
Mitts Asplund Tage

A decent forward group next year? Still a weak bottom six if the kids don't make the jump. But that top 6 would be strong if Byfield can provide am Eichel level rookie year.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Wouldn’t mind acquiring an extra 1st this year. Maybe someone gets desperate enough to offer one for one of our Dmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad