Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
OHL Prospects: Preliminary Top 50 for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft

It's time for my first official ranking for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. I say official because I release a preseason ranking in the summer (which can be found here). Now that the 2019/20 season has started (well under way in fact), updating that list to reflect changes of opinion is a priority. That said, it's important to not over react to hot or cold starts. Some of those currently disappointing, will most definitely pick up their play. And some of those off to blazing starts won't be able to hold that production. At the end of the day, it is a cool exercise to go back and look at my first list of the season. For instance, here's last year's early season draft list.

The list includes detailed reports on the Top 30 and small snippets on the other 20 that make up the Top 50.

This draft crop from the OHL is obviously significantly stronger than last year's. It has a serious top 3 candidate, multiple top 10 candidates, and a whole whack of players who could earn first round consideration. It also has significant depth, with several players left off this top 50 still having the potential to be NHL prospects. While the crop is still shaping up, I think it is pretty safe to label this group one of the best that the OHL has produced in recent years.

It's also important to note (for those that aren't familiar with my lists), that I don't include 2nd and 3rd year eligible players on the list (like Saginaw's Ilya Solovyov or Guelph's Pavel Gogolev). I do a year end list for those players.

Without further ado, here's my early season top 50.

1. Quinton Byfield - Forward - Sudbury Wolves
With how dominant he has been to start the year, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to consider him a challenger for Lafreniere's first overall spot. While I'd still give the nod to the QMJHL star (who has been on a torrid pace himself), there's no denying Byfield's immense potential as an NHL star. The league has few players who can dominate with power and skill the way that he does. While he may not have the physical bravado of a guy like Eric Lindros, he dominates shifts in a similar fashion by controlling entries and possession down low. He can beat you in so many different ways. If you try to take away his space, he beats you with his speed and power. If you give him gaps, he uses his skill, quick feet, and strength to maintain possession until he's able to create a scoring chance for himself or a linemate. His vision is a highly underrated component of his game. Usually a player with his skill set will force plays, especially when driving the net, but he's incredibly poised and intelligent with the puck. He makes passes that are so good sometimes that his linemates aren't ready or expecting the pass to be so precise. Additionally, Byfield's defensive game has come a long way under Cory Stillman. He's incredibly committed on the backcheck, and looks comfortable rotating back to the point allowing Sudbury's defenders to be more aggressive with their pinches. This is a prospect with no weakness and a possible NHL superstar.

2. Jamie Drysdale - Defense - Erie Otters
There was a reason that I predicted Drysdale to win the Max Kaminsky this year as the league's top defender. And he's lived up to that expectation so far. IMO, he is already the best defender in the OHL with no disrespect meant to the likes of Thomas Harley, Declan Chisholm, etc (although Harley has been sensational this year too). Drysdale is the perfect defender for today's NHL game because of his mobility and decision making. While his ability to defend the crease and handle larger forwards will no doubt require some improvement before the next level, he's already such an asset defensively because of the routes he takes to loose pucks and how difficult it is to pin the Otters down in their own end when he is on the ice. He is able to turn play back the other way and start the breakout, keeping the opposition on their toes. Drydale has also greatly improved his point shot and is being way more aggressive in using it or trying to jump up into the play to get himself scoring chances. One area that I think he still has more room to grow in, is his ability to quarterback the powerplay. I think he has another level there that he has not hit yet, especially in terms of using his skating ability to open up gaps, being more assertive and aggressive with the puck in attacking those lanes. I definitely expect that to develop further, even as this season progresses. I know many have Perfetti second here, but I think Drysdale is the top defender available in the draft this year and should be ranked accordingly.

3. Cole Perfetti - Forward - Saginaw Spirit
Don't look now, but after a bit of a "slower" start, Perfetti is right in the thick of things in the OHL scoring race. There were some criticisms early on that he wasn't being assertive enough with the puck, but I think that those concerns were overblown. I watched two Saginaw games early on in the year and Perfetti hit multiple posts in both games. And from talking to others, the pattern was similar in other games. He was creating chances, he was just snake bitten. There are also some concerns about whether Perfetti can stick down the middle at the next level, and whether his lack of an elite skating gear given his average size, will hold him back. I do think that Perfetti profiles as a winger moving forward; that much I agree with. But I am not concerned about his skating. His agility and edgework are excellent and as he matures physically, I am guessing we will see improvements in his power. What can't be taught is Perfetti's vision and understanding of the game. He is just such an intelligent player. It is rare to see him make a poor decision with the puck on his stick. Additionally, he reads the play so well without the puck and is so good at exploiting the gaps provided to him. He has that elusive quality to him. Of course, there's the shot, puck skill, creativity. He's a multi faceted offensive force. One criticism I do have is that I would like to see his tenacity and aggressiveness without the puck become more consistent. These were some of the same concerns that I had with a guy like Nick Robertson last year. One shift, he's all over the ice on the forecheck, engaged physically and forcing turnovers. Another, there's a degree of complacency. Once he learns to harness that energy, Perfetti could be just as unstoppable as Byfield.

4. Marco Rossi
5. Jacob Perreault
6. Antonio Stranges
7. Jaromir Pytlik
8. Ryan O'Rourke
9. Oliver Suni
10. Jack Thompson
11. Jean Luc Foudy
12. Will Cuylle
13. Tyson Foerster
14. Ty Tullio
15. Jack Quinn
16. Ruben Rafkin
17. Hayden Fowler
18. Andrei Bakanov
19. Logan Morrison
20. Cam Butler
21. Evan Vierling
22. Donovan Sebrango
23. Lleyton Moore
24. Luke Evangelista
25. Rory Kerins
26. Tanner Dickinson
27. Ville Ottavainen
28. Ethan Cardwell
29. Reid Valade
30. James Hardie

Check the link for the entire Top 50 and all write ups.

Happy to answer any questions or respond to any comments.

Great read Brock, thank you!

Reactions: Brock

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
He really is the best combination of size and skill and speed since Lindros. He can dictate all over the ice.
Had some trouble finishing in the OT but yeah, this kid is a gem. And as an underager compared to the others in the game he definitely did not look out of place. Has that Brady T quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->