Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016
How does Holloway compare to someone like Boldy coming out last year? I keep hearing this draft is as good or better than last year, and Boldy went 12. Podkolzin went 10, shouldn’t Holloway be on their level if he is going top 10? Or is this draft weaker?

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
The bright side of the break is using it to catch up on some draft stuff...

At this point, I have a clear group of 5 after Laf:

Byfield, Raymond, Stutzle, Rossi and Holtz. Any of those come from this year and I am quite happy. All have pretty well rounded games while still having that elite player upside.

Lundell is good too, but I don't see him having the upside of the others. His skating and offensive abilities just aren't on the same level. Will make a hell of a two-way 2C in short time though I imagine which is intriguing.

Perfetti is the only guy I pretty consistently see ranked in the top-10 that I would be disappointed in getting. Crazy skills with the puck and a very strong offensive game, but an undersized winger (what I think he would be at the next level) who loses a lot of puck battles, doesn't have high end skating and is not great defensively is too much to risk in our pick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Behind Jack Quinn's rapid rise from obscurity to top 2020...

Nobody knows that better than his teammates. Fellow draft-eligible 67’s star Marco Rossi is quick to point to Quinn as one of the hardest-working players on the team.

“He competes really hard in practices every day and you can see it today, it paid off. He deserves it because he’s really underrated,” Rossi said. “Now he’s getting more and more love, so I’m really happy for him. He’s a good skater and he can shoot the puck. He’s a great guy off of the ice, too.”

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Perfetti is a lot like Reinhart. Some will like that, some will not.
I just don’t see it.
Like Reinhart, his best asset is his brain, and grants him a lot of success at the junior level, but I don’t see his hockey sense being on Sam’s level, so I’m not confident he’ll have as much success as Sam.

Reactions: Chainshot

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I thought he was known for having a great shot, no? Because that is definitely not a characteristic Reinhart has ever had.

Yeah I don't get that comparison at all.

Perfetti has a great shot and way better hands than Reinhart has ever shown.

But he is also worse defensively and smaller/softer than Reinhart.

Either way, despite his offensive skills, Perfetti has too many flags for us to take a chance on him at our pick.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Sorry, I didn’t mean they look like identical players Skill wise.

The comparison is that Perfetti is not an elite skater, he is not big and physical, he uses his brain to make intelligent plays.

These are traits that a lot of fans get upset with Reinhart as a player, especially as a top two pick. Perfetti will be a top 10 pick and many will see him as a similarly frustrating player.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Another big hypothetical: We win 1OA with 2 other teams jumping up into 2 and 3.

Where does Lafreniere for Tkachuck + Rossi (at 5) fall on the value scale. Does Ottawa consider it? Is trading out of the top spot always the wrong move?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another big hypothetical: We win 1OA with 2 other teams jumping up into 2 and 3.

Where does Lafreniere for Tkachuck + Rossi (at 5) fall on the value scale. Does Ottawa consider it? Is trading out of the top spot always the wrong move?

I don't think the Sens touch that.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I like Greig too. But doubt he goes 1st, nevermind mid-1st.

Most rankings have him 2nd or even 3rd round. Very fiesty but still very small. Good skater but not sure if his top speed is that good.

That said, he wouldn't be my top choice with our 2nd but I would be fine with him there. Decent middle-6 upside.

Reactions: Chainshot

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Not sure how up to date the weights and measurements are but he is almost a complete year younger than many that are being touted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad