Prospect Info: The 2020 - 2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Out of curiosity...When was the last time a team graduated 2 top 6 forwards, 1 to be top 6 forward(podz), 1 top 4d , 1 to be top 4d(rathbone), a 5-6 d, a 1g and possibly up to 2 bottom 6, along with possibly a backup g in a 3 year period? Thats 7 (assuming podz/rathbone are on the team) to possibly 10? in a 3 year period (Pettersson debut Oct 2018).

Then theres Madden etc. to consider as graduated even though he was traded
I just see the complaints about no prospect depth being a bit overkill

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well in order: Hoglander, first or second line winger and 40-50 point seasons; Rathbone, top four defender and second unit pp guy; Lind, NHL-AHL 'tweener who'll need to be better if he wants another contract after his ELC: Gadjovich, fourth line grinder; Lockwood, third line winger and hopefully a solid PK'er. Definitely has NHL wheels.

Chatfield is likely a UFA if he doesn't get qualified; and it's no better than 50/50....Michaelis likely becomes a UFA.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well in order: Hoglander, first or second line winger and 40-50 point seasons; Rathbone, top four defender and second unit pp guy; Lind, NHL-AHL 'tweener who'll need to be better if he wants another contract after his ELC: Gadjovich, fourth line grinder; Lockwood, third line winger and hopefully a solid PK'er. Definitely has NHL wheels.

Chatfield is likely a UFA if he doesn't get qualified; and it's no better than 50/50....Michaelis likely becomes a UFA.

Are you saying Kole has to be better this summer in order to get another contract? His ELC is already up and he needs a QO to play this season.

Gadj will have to develop a new style to meet your projection. In 3 AHL seasons he has never been a hard fore checking grinder. Almost think he lacks the speed to do such.
His scoring streak in the watered down AHL has given an awful lot of people the impression he is a definitely an NHL player. He was 3rd and 4th line AHL material before this past excuse for an AHL season.

Hope you are correct about Lockwood because I liked the kid. He can skate, but his puck skills were for shit. A 3rd line wing in the "new Canucks 3 scoring lines" will have to be miles better than he was on the Comets 3rd line.

Chatfield needs to be allowed to just walk if they can't find some sucker to take him on as an extra in a trade.

Michaelis didn't exactly get a real shot with Van and should have been in the AHL. That was the original plan, but the lack of proven talent in Utica allowed for him to be in the Taxi and maybe be a surprise. The surprise was how unready for the NHL he was.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Looking for some info on players who made their NHL debut this past season. What kind of future outlook do these guys have?

Nils Hoglander
Jack Rathbone
Kole Lind
Jonah Gadjovich
Will Lockwood
Jalen Chatfield
Marc Michaelis

Hoglander: 1st-line potential, he did a solid job on the 2nd line this season as a 20YO rookie
Rathbone: top-4 offensive talent but we'll have to see how his defensive play progresses
Lind: AHLer, callup guy
Gadj: AHLer
Lockwood: haven't seen him much, he can skate but the puck skills don't seem to be there
Chatfield: AHLer, callup guy
Michaelis: AHLer or Europe

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Chatfield is an impending Group 6 UFA so there is no QO in play here. I think they'll definitely try to keep him with a two-way contract that includes a respectable AHL salary raise. Michaelis isn't NHL material but given the lack of centre depth in the organization I'll guess that they might keep him around for another season.

Nov 1, 2011
We are in such a Weird Position, That our prospects are becoming to good honestly.
Let's Assume Hoglander is on the team next year.
Let's assume Rathbone Makes the team next year.
And let's assume Podkolzin Makes the team next year.

Our "Top" Prospects will look like this (In No Particular Order)

Olli Juolevi
Kole Lind
Jett Woo
Jonah Gadjovich
Michael DiPietro (He Might be on the main Roster if Holtby gets claimed)
Viktor Persson
William Lockwood
Joni Jurmo
Arvid Costmar
Linus Karlsson
Jacob Truscott
Aidan McDonough
Jackson Kunz

This Has to be bottom 5 in the league does it not? Maybe even the Worst in the NHL? ( assuming, Hog, Rath, and Pod make the team).

It's Bitter Sweet, It's nice to see the kids Succeed, But our Farm Team is going to be a Train Wreck.

It's not bittersweet, it's just sweet.

You want to have the best team in the NHL, if our young guys are good enough to be in the show, that is just all good.

I think they will spend money to make the AHL team good. Signing a #1 C and D shouldn't be too hard for that league.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
@Bad Goalie

What is your assessment of Rathbone's defensive play in AHL Light this past season, and projections for NHL? Thanks in advance.

The one thing I can say is that he was the best D-man, bar none, that the Comets ever iced. His skating was superb. lateral movement matched his forward movement. He walked the blue line and either got an open shot as a result or a clean pass to a mate. There was no shooting into pads or just dumping it into the corner. His shot was hard an surprisingly accurate either standing still or on the move. Joined the rush, but more often started the rush. Very good puck support for his d-partner.

You'd expect a guy with this much offensive talent to be weak defensively, but he was excellent one on one, broke up plays before they got a chance to attempt a finish, took on guys in front or boxed them out on the back door. He was more than just responsible defensively.

All of this has to be taken into consideration that a whole bunch of guys he was playing against did not represent the typical top 6 AHL forwards. The Syracuse top line that dominated their division gave him just as much difficulty as everybody else. At the same time, the defensive effort from the forwards in the Comets zone left oceans to be desired.

He has great potential. A top 4 D-man after only 16 pro games and only 8 of those in the NHL with ice time controlled by Travis is too few games to make that claim at this time.

He is definitely on the road to becoming an NHL D-man, but how the Canucks will use him with Hughes at the moment guaranteed the ice time in situations that Jack excels in is questionable. Most teams would package them back to back, one pairing after another for the puck moving skills both bring. They would also be 1/2 on the PP. Jack may actually turn out to be better than Quinn in this respect as he has a much better shot and moves along the blue line so beautifully. It won't matter if the coaching staff can produce 2 effective PP units, not just a second group to keep control of the puck while the first unit rests and gets 70% of the 2 minutes. There is enough innate talent on that team to have TWO very effective units.

We'll just have to wait and see how he gets employed. I think his play will allow him to force himself into the nightly coaching plan. Green should not be allowed to play him 6 minutes a night with a line that has little offensive talent or worse sit him the minute he makes a mistake. He is a rookie and that's Green's modus operandi. Considering the way Hughes played in his own zone last season, Jack won't embarrass himself or hurt the team all that much while learning what works for him and what doesn't. He is bright. He is highly skilled and those skills will be refined. He has a very high hockey IQ.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know I got flamed for comparing Rathbone with Adam Fox in an earlier post.....but since Fox just won the Norris Trophy, it seems fair to raise it again.

Both guys were Harvard alums and actually played together briefly. Fox might have been better offensively, but Rathbone compares favorably and might actually have a better 'two-way' game. Is there a chance Rathbone can emulate what Fox has done?

I'm sure it makes Flames fans a bit sad though, since they drafted Fox in the third round of 2016 but couldn't sign him and were forced to trade him as part of the Dougie Hamilton deal with Carolina...who couldn't sign him either. Seems like a lot of U.S. he had his heart set on the Rangers.

But of all the kids who could debut for the Canucks next fall, Rathbone is clearly the most exciting guy for me.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I've always been high on Jett Woo. I think he could become a legit top-4 D, paired with
Rathbone as our 3-4 pairing. He is tough, smart, mobile, and passes well.

Am I crazy? I'll defer to Bad Goalie for an answer :)

As an aside, man with his buddy Fox winning the Norris, the fire is going to be in Rathbone's eye
this season, knowing how close their abilities were as Harvard teammates.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
So much optimism about the 2020 prospects.

Just like the 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 prospects.
What happened to all them?
That should be 35 prospects all together.
Considering 97% of top ten picks make the NHL and are substantial players should that not be at least 5 players, 2nd round is around 50/50 so another 2 to 3?
The later rounds are usually the bottom six group so maybe one or two more?

While that might super duper good drafting it is close to what some other franchises are doing with less picks.
I've always been high on Jett Woo. I think he could become a legit top-4 D, paired with
Rathbone as our 3-4 pairing. He is tough, smart, mobile, and passes well.

Am I crazy? I'll defer to Bad Goalie for an answer :)

As an aside, man with his buddy Fox winning the Norris, the fire is going to be in Rathbone's eye
this season, knowing how close their abilities were as Harvard teammates.
Abilities close? One player is 17/18 the other 3 to 4 year solder , 21/22 yrs .
What is does show though is size matters.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

Considering 97% of top ten picks make the NHL and are substantial players should that not be at least 5 players, 2nd round is around 50/50 so another 2 to 3?

While that might super duper good drafting it is close to what some other franchises are doing with less picks.

I'm not understanding what you're saying. We might agree, but please clarify!

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Less than 25% of draftees ever reach 300 NHL regular season games (150 games for goalies). And it takes awhile for many of the successful ones to establish themselves, especially those drafted outside the first round. Hoglander, for example, is an exception rather than a rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I think there’s a fair amount of justification for optimism as our drafting has definitely improved. But the reality is that drafting after the first round has a much lower statistical chance of hitting. The objective should be to have as many picks as possible to improve the odds.
Imo, the bigger issue with the Canucks has not been their drafting (which has been good) but rather trading away picks during the rebuild stage.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Imo, the bigger issue with the Canucks has not been their drafting (which has been good) but rather trading away picks during the rebuild stage.

Amen to this. And on the heels of a 2020 draft that didn't include a 1st or 2nd round pick I think it would be folly to deal the 9th from the upcoming draft unless the resulting trade would be an obvious steal which isn't usually the case.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Amen to this. And on the heels of a 2020 draft that didn't include a 1st or 2nd round pick I think it would be folly to deal the 9th from the upcoming draft unless the resulting trade would be an obvious steal which isn't usually the case.
The ninth will have an out of proportion value. Considering Benning has missed twice in top 6 picks a trade for a YOUNG proven prospect would be a smart move.
A trade for a player that a team might not want to move but over paying cannot be any worse than another Juloevi or Virtanen, where years are eaten up just to see if they can make an impact that justifies the pick number.
OJ and JV still have the draft number that will help in a newer market as former top 6 players.
But an over priced deal should be considered, can't be worse than another Eriksson or blown pick and now time is a factor.

One other thing for fans to also remember and consider, being good on this team does not mean good on the contending teams and that should be the goal.
As good as Miller has been he was previously always a 3rd or 4th line player on good teams.

IMO package the #9 with as much a necessary and get a really good proven 23 or 24 yr old defenceman that is over 6'1". DEFENCEMAN, a guy that can play both offence and especially defence. Sometimes a 30 point defenceman with a plus 25 is better than a 50 point defenceman that is minus 25 and cannot play on the penalty kill and requires the coach and team to spend time trying to find a partner, in other word high maintenance or needing protective starts, 50/50% zone starts and not heavily on offensive zone starts.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The ninth will have an out of proportion value. Considering Benning has missed twice in top 6 picks a trade for a YOUNG proven prospect would be a smart move.
A trade for a player that a team might not want to move but over paying cannot be any worse than another Juloevi or Virtanen, where years are eaten up just to see if they can make an impact that justifies the pick number.
OJ and JV still have the draft number that will help in a newer market as former top 6 players.
But an over priced deal should be considered, can't be worse than another Eriksson or blown pick and now time is a factor.

One other thing for fans to also remember and consider, being good on this team does not mean good on the contending teams and that should be the goal.
As good as Miller has been he was previously always a 3rd or 4th line player on good teams.

IMO package the #9 with as much a necessary and get a really good proven 23 or 24 yr old defenceman that is over 6'1". DEFENCEMAN, a guy that can play both offence and especially defence. Sometimes a 30 point defenceman with a plus 25 is better than a 50 point defenceman that is minus 25 and cannot play on the penalty kill and requires the coach and team to spend time trying to find a partner, in other word high maintenance or needing protective starts, 50/50% zone starts and not heavily on offensive zone starts.

Sure, if it's the right player at the right price. But that's not likely. Grabbing a <=25YO defenceman who is good offensively and defensively is not something that comes along easily or cheaply.

And yes, the Juolevi and Virtanen picks were weak but Pettersson was an excellent pick (look at the next five guys taken; Pettersson was generally rated in the 5 - 10 range) and Hughes was a good pick at #7. Can't just look at the busts and ignore the booms.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think there’s a fair amount of justification for optimism as our drafting has definitely improved. But the reality is that drafting after the first round has a much lower statistical chance of hitting. The objective should be to have as many picks as possible to improve the odds.
Has it improved?
Without a doubt a monkey could draft in the top ten.
Just look at the past years, 2010 - 2017 top ten draft picks, only 7 players have failed to live up to their possible draft number, two for Benning and two he has traded away.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Sure, if it's the right player at the right price. But that's not likely. Grabbing a <=25YO defenceman who is good offensively and defensively is not something that comes along easily or cheaply.

And yes, the Juolevi and Virtanen picks were weak but Pettersson was an excellent pick (look at the next five guys taken; Pettersson was generally rated in the 5 - 10 range) and Hughes was a good pick at #7. Can't just look at the busts and ignore the booms.
Absolutely, cannot just look at the busts, but even Hughes has a huge hole in his game and not likely to become much better, size counts. He will be exciting to watch in the regular season no doubt but I wonder about playoffs and the grind, he is really small so I am not sure he is as good as advertised, points sure, maybe he should be a forward instead where size isn't as important.
There will be teams that are like the Canucks, half way through a rebuild or retooling that might be leveraged into a trade. Columbus, Tampa, Arizona, Buffalo, Chicago, Pittsburgh no doubt there would be many team interested in a #9 pick if for nothing else but for marketing and future cap management.
Some teams are just in financial need.
The team should consider a Colorado type rebuild, they had some good players and turned them into more good players by trading away, essentially time.
Since Sakic took over they have gone from playoffs to the bottom and now cup favourites.
Next two years are loaded with highly skilled and deep as well.

Benning stated two years to get the cap corrected, that should mean two years of building real hard. Is finishing 29 to 32 that much worse than 25th to 27th? Especially with Wright and Beddard coming up in the next two drafts after this year?

An exchange of 1rsts with say the Pens? In 2 years Malkin and Crosby might be close to being done and the Pens are bottom 5, with an extra chance for a top pick ight be a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad