Prospect Info: The 2020 - 2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Isn't Persson playing in the WHL too? Why wasn't he included?
Persson still isnt in the WHL, they wouldnt include him. Drafted but still cant commit due to Covid, rules etc.
Silovs already graduated so its weird they even have him, especially when they left out Focht who left at the same time.
Really no CHL prospects atm so kind of a weirdly thought out piece

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Has it improved?
Without a doubt a monkey could draft in the top ten.
Just look at the past years, 2010 - 2017 top ten draft picks, only 7 players have failed to live up to their possible draft number, two for Benning and two he has traded away.
Has it improved? Please look at Canuck drafting 2006 to 2013. I believe Horvat was the only player who did not go through waivers before age 26. If you take top 15 picks out of the picture. There are still multiple Nhl players picked by Canucks since 2014 after pick 15. McCann. Demko, Boeser, soon to be Rathbone, Hoglander.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Has it improved? Please look at Canuck drafting 2006 to 2013. I believe Horvat was the only player who did not go through waivers before age 26. If you take top 15 picks out of the picture. There are still multiple Nhl players picked by Canucks since 2014 after pick 15. McCann. Demko, Boeser, soon to be Rathbone, Hoglander.
If you look at the draft position, draft number, Benning is no better at all. It is only because he has had the team record most top ten picks in it's 50 year history that he has had this success. Every GM with a top ten pick has outshone him if going by a percentage selecting in the top ten for the Canucks.
And as far as the other 50 some odd picks in those later rounds he is just as much or more a failure

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If you look at the draft position, draft number, Benning is no better at all. It is only because he has had the team record most top ten picks in it's 50 year history that he has had this success. Every GM with a top ten pick has outshone him if going by a percentage selecting in the top ten for the Canucks.
And as far as the other 50 some odd picks in those later rounds he is just as much or more a failure
This is completely false. even accounting for draft position, the team's drafting has been measurably better under Benning. As I've said before, this doesn't mean Benning isn't a poor GM or that he's even responsible for whatever drafting success the team has had.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
This is completely false. even accounting for draft position, the team's drafting has been measurably better under Benning. As I've said before, this doesn't mean Benning isn't a poor GM or that he's even responsible for whatever drafting success the team has had.

I’m not even sure he’s “measurably better”. We’ve gone through this ad nauseum, but if you take the Potatoes picks or McKenzies, we end up with a comparable young core. Plus, if you switch Glass for Pettersson reflecting who, on a balance of probabilities, who Benning wanted, it becomes even less clear.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I’m not even sure he’s “measurably better”. We’ve gone through this ad nauseum, but if you take the Potatoes picks or McKenzies, we end up with a comparable young core. Plus, if you switch Glass for Pettersson reflecting who, on a balance of probabilities, who Benning wanted, it becomes even less clear.

Wut.

Trying to twist it as "well he wanted this person instead of the person he actually drafted" to demean his drafting record is ridiculous.
That would be like someone trying to defend his UFA signings and acquisitions as "well when he signed Eriksson, he thought he would produce 60pts every season with no decline, so I cant see how you can consider it a bad contract", or "well Gudbranson was a former top pick, so it was clear there was a massive amount of upside in the trade, so it completely disregards the outcomes of that trade"
Heck, im pretty sure he wanted Ekblad or Draisaitl over Virtanen, so i guess we can just ignore that one

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
The conversation wasn't about Benning's input or scouting, or whether it was useful or constituted an advantage over other teams, or how the team might have drafted had they used some other means of evaluating players. It was about whether the team has drafted well during his tenure in comparison to the tenure of the previous general manager. It has, and it doesn't undermine any position you may take in general about Benning's performance to simply admit this.

Reactions: sting101

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The conversation wasn't about Benning's input or scouting, or whether it was useful or constituted an advantage over other teams, or how the team might have drafted had they used some other means of evaluating players. It was about whether the team has drafted well during his tenure in comparison to the tenure of the previous general manager. It has, and it doesn't undermine any position you may take in general about Benning's performance to simply admit this.

I don’t care what stupid parameters you want to put around the conversation. This is a message board, and thankfully, I don’t have to stick to stupid parameters with the result being the exclusion of relevant evidence. You can stick to those parameters if you would like though, that’s fine.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I don’t care what stupid parameters you want to put around the conversation. This is a message board, and thankfully, I don’t have to stick to stupid parameters with the result being the exclusion of relevant evidence. You can stick to those parameters if you would like though, that’s fine.
I didn't put any "parameters" around the conversation -- that's simply what the conversation was about, and you replied to it with evidence of a claim no one was talking about or disputing.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I didn't put any "parameters" around the conversation -- that's simply what the conversation was about, and you replied to it with evidence of a claim no one was talking about or disputing.

As I said, it’s a message board and I am not bound to any dumb parameters that someone may try to assert. Do you understand? Do you agree?

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
As I said, it’s a message board and I am not bound to any dumb parameters that someone may try to assert. Do you understand? Do you agree?
Again, you entered a conversation about whether the team had drafted better during Benning's tenure, without respect to why or who might be responsible. Your choices are pretty much to either express an opinion about that subject, which you don't seem to want to do, or have another conversation about something else, which would be totally cool. That's not a condition I'm imposing -- it's how conversations generally work.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Again, you entered a conversation about whether the team had drafted better during Benning's tenure, without respect to why or who might be responsible. Your choices are pretty much to either express an opinion about that subject, which you don't seem to want to do, or have another conversation about something else, which would be totally cool. That's not a condition I'm imposing -- it's how conversations generally work.

Conversations are not bound to the original parameters. Issues are framed and reframed throughout. To simply discuss something while ignoring whether the parameters of the discussion are dumb is dumb in and of itself. This isn’t really rocket science. My point was valid and related to the discussion.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Are you a mod?

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I had assumed as much, considering how you are trying to moderate the discussion and all.
Pointing out that someone has said something that suggests they are either mistaken the subject of the conversation or are attempting to hijack it doesn't strike me as an effort to moderate anything. I'm not saying anyone can't or even shouldn't say a certain thing, and I agree with the basic sentiment the poster expressed. It just had nothing to do with what we were talking about. The discussion was expressly about the team's draft record with no reference to Benning and the poster was attempting to undermine a conclusion within this conversation by conflating the discussion with one of Benning's drafting acumen. This happens constantly and it's disingenuous.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Pointing out that someone has said something that suggests they are either mistaken the subject of the conversation or are attempting to hijack it doesn't strike me as an effort to moderate anything. I'm not saying anyone can't or even shouldn't say a certain thing, and I agree with the basic sentiment the poster expressed. It just had nothing to do with what we were talking about.

You explicitly told them that their ". . . choices are pretty much to either express an opinion about that subject, which you don't seem to want to do, or have another conversation about something else. . ."

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
You explicitly told them that their ". . . choices are pretty much to either express an opinion about that subject, which you don't seem to want to do, or have another conversation about something else. . ."
I was explaining how conversations generally or ideally work, not actually constraining their behaviour, which I am not capable of doing. I'd have thought this was obvious.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I was explaining how conversations generally or ideally work, not actually constraining their behaviour, which I am not capable of doing. I'd have thought this was obvious.
So you were doing the thing that I said you were doing. I'm glad we agree.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Please read my post you responded to. Boeser, Demko, McCann, Rathbone, Hoglander vs Guance, Schoeder, Jensen White, Sauve and that 2013 first we traded. Or picks approx 23,38,24,91,40 vs 25, 26,27,25,40,24. There was Hutton Corrado. Connaughton etc that all went thru waivers. Also Lind Woo may fail but when you compare picks between 20 and 45 the current drafting has been multiple times better. There is no sane person that can claim Canuck drafting was has not improved from previous year period.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I was responding to whether drafting had improved not whether it was better than league average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad