GDT: The 2019 NCAA Football Thread

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
There's still Ohio State, Clemson and 2 teams from the SEC. A year like this is perfect for the NCAA to use as evidence for not expanding the playoffs unfortunately.

Reactions: Tryamw

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just don't think an 8-team playoff is feasible. Eventually a 3-loss team is going to have to be accepted and there's going to be a big fuss about it from the media and fans of other 3-loss teams. I suppose you could do a 6-team playoff but then comes how do you work that out with top seeds getting a "bye week"?

I guess though on the other hand an expanded playoff would open up doors for programs like UCF.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I just don't think an 8-team playoff is feasible. Eventually a 3-loss team is going to have to be accepted and there's going to be a big fuss about it from the media and fans of other 3-loss teams. I suppose you could do a 6-team playoff but then comes how do you work that out with top seeds getting a "bye week"?

I guess though on the other hand an expanded playoff would open up doors for programs like UCF.
Just get rid of the bowl system and go to a 24 or 32 team playoff. Get rid of FBS teams playing cupcakes. They can make a playoff work. The real teams will always rise to the top.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Just get rid of the bowl system and go to a 24 or 32 team playoff. Get rid of FBS teams playing cupcakes. They can make a playoff work. The real teams will always rise to the top.
You cant convince college players who are "not getting paid" to play 3-5 extra games. That could potentially jeopardize their draft position and potential earnings with injuries. Hell, players dont even want to play ONE bowl games and it doesnt hurt them in the slightest, see CMC.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
You cant convince college players who are "not getting paid" to play 3-5 extra games. That could potentially jeopardize their draft position and potential earnings with injuries. Hell, players dont even want to play ONE bowl games and it doesnt hurt them in the slightest, see CMC.
You shorten the regular season one week and a championship competing team only plays 1-2 more games than normal. It would be massively more popular with fans. Players are going to get compensated regardless. It may be the end of the college football as we know it, but I know it will happen eventually.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Even if/when Oklahoma comes back to win, it's shit like this as to why nobody takes them seriously as a true NC contender. Their defense is absolutely atrocious.

They can't even stop Kansas State ... wtf would Bama, LSU, Ohio State and Clemson do to them?

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Even if/when Oklahoma comes back to win, it's **** like this as to why nobody takes them seriously as a true NC contender. Their defense is absolutely atrocious.

They can't even stop Kansas State ... wtf would Bama, LSU, Ohio State and Clemson do to them?

Get destroyed as usual in the Fiesta Bowl or whatever.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Unless Baylor runs the table, you can probably scratch the Big 12 out of the playoff. Opens the door for Oregon and a 1-loss LSU/Bama non-SEC champion to get in.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How does it feel to be Stoopes right now? He was let go cuz his team would choke and not make the playoffs. OU felt they had someone who could do it. Riley’s teams choke too.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Insane to think 2 years ago that freaking Baylor would be the team that has the best chance of giving the Big 12 playoff hopes.

member 157595

Alabama will lose to either LSU or Auburn, but will get in because Georgia or Florida will win the SECCG

If you're counting on Georgia to win a big game you're asking for trouble.

EDIT: f*** UF FOREVER.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Alabama will lose to either LSU or Auburn, but will get in because Georgia or Florida will win the SECCG
Probably. No team right now gets more benefit of the doubt than Alabama. I hope they lose to both and some Espn talking head will argue that they deserve to be in over a 1 loss conference champion.

Also will LSU get the rightful first place that they have deserved?

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Probably. No team right now gets more benefit of the doubt than Alabama. I hope they lose to both and some Espn talking head will argue that they deserve to be in over a 1 loss conference champion.

Also will LSU get the rightful first place that they have deserved?

They're #1! They're #1! They're #1!

Hopefully they will remain #1 after next Saturday.

Reactions: Tryamw

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I know it's been done before but it seems like a dick move to fire a college coach during the season. There are exceptions like Petrino, McElwain, and Golden though where it's completely justified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad