GDT: The 2019 NCAA Football Thread

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Jinxes probably don't exist, but I'm not sure why you would have risked it

It's Indiana. That shanked extra point and missed field goal is going to be in my nightmares tonight. Perhaps next time we should fight an easier opponent, like from the Mid American Conference?

… it's a vicious cycle for me. I'm always antagonistic towards the program when they're down, kicking them and taking sadistic pleasure to hide the reality that I'm hurting deep inside at yet another failed year but am too scared to admit it, and when they do succeed and I finally warm up again, they fall at the finish line, and it's been now 29 years since we've won a bowl game. I was in diapers the last time Indiana beat somebody after November!

Reactions: DaveG

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Oh no Mississippi State what is you doing?
Moorhead was a weird hire for them to begin with. He had zero ties to the south, especially in the deep south in a state like Mississippi. He's a decent coach but nothing to be excited about. When your fans and even athletic department don't really like you, your days are numbered. He probably would have been gone next year anyway.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I get he's not from the South, but hell Dan Mullen is from Pennsylvania and grew up in New Hampshire. Although I guess with his Florida assistant coaching stint that opened up some doors.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm not sure what their gameplan is. He's beaten their most bitter rival (Ole Miss) twice in a row and has led them to consecutive bowl wins. Starkville is not an easy place to recruit, and you've got to compete with Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and even Ole Miss for those athletes. The chances of duplicating what Mullen did for them is pretty slim, and even then it took 6 years to have that 10-3 season where they were #1 for the first time in program history. Moorhead did a pretty good job in the post-Mullen era, in the toughest division in college football.

If they can get Billy Napier or someone like that, I get it. Is Napier going to want to compete against Saban and LSU for years to come when a possibly more attractive job opens up next year? Who knows.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I get he's not from the South, but hell Dan Mullen is from Pennsylvania and grew up in New Hampshire. Although I guess with his Florida assistant coaching stint that opened up some doors.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm not sure what their gameplan is. He's beaten their most bitter rival (Ole Miss) twice in a row and has led them to consecutive bowl wins. Starkville is not an easy place to recruit, and you've got to compete with Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and even Ole Miss for those athletes. The chances of duplicating what Mullen did for them is pretty slim, and even then it took 6 years to have that 10-3 season where they were #1 for the first time in program history. Moorhead did a pretty good job in the post-Mullen era, in the toughest division in college football.

If they can get Billy Napier or someone like that, I get it. Is Napier going to want to compete against Saban and LSU for years to come when a possibly more attractive job opens up next year? Who knows.
The first year was with mostly Mullen recruits so it's difficult to determine who to attribute that mild success to. I think this year they started to see what they were going to get in the future and they didn't like it, especially with Joey Freshwater going to their rival. They did beat crappy Ole Miss teams but it doesn't mean much given how down they've been and how they were being held back due to NCAA sanctions.

I agree that it's hard to win in Starkville and at Mississippi State but I don't fault programs for not settling with mediocrity, and I think that's the best Moorhead can offer as a head coach in the SEC. Time will tell if they regret it.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Mississippi State ended up landing Mike Leach. I take that trade all day.

Egg Bowl is going to be great even if the two schools continue suck or are mediocre.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Rhule takes the Panthers job --> Hires Brady from LSU as OC --> Baylor replaces Rhule with Aranda, LSU's DC.

Matt Rhule is the unforeseen MVP of the SEC for 2020-.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Rhule takes the Panthers job --> Hires Brady from LSU as OC --> Baylor replaces Rhule with Aranda, LSU's DC.

Matt Rhule is the unforeseen MVP of the SEC for 2020-.
SEC should have a down year next season anyways. Auburn and Florida in the championship game? Maybe alabama if Jones plays well. Jimbo and fighting farmers are a dark horse here.

Georgia, Bama, and LSU are taking definitive steps backwards.

In the end, the season will revolve around Clemson and Ohio State, with everyone else a clear two tiers below. Utah and Auburn/Florida winner sneaking in at 3 & 4, maybe. Im not sure about OU’s backup so maybe OU. I think OU might lose to UT twice next year. Texas will find a way to game(s) they shouldn’t that keeps them out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad