GDT: The 2019 NCAA Football Thread

member 157595

So, yeah, UCLA-Washington State is ... something.

Pac 12 football is special. It's like the Big 12 but you're tired and drunk by the time it comes on so it's even more insane.

EDIT: OK, on game day while I was at FSU I was tired and drunk much earlier than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
UCF lost? Ah thats just too bad. I guess they won't be National Champs this year.

I don't mind when P5 schools go on the road to non P5 schools but man, Boone has to be death for any visiting team.

I remember when Grobe told Wake fans "There's no upside to playing App State" almost 20 years ago when App was FCS.

Wake's made one trip to Boone and escaped by the skin of their teeth blocking a last second field goal that would win the game.

Can't say I am interested in heading back up there. Then again, I see a H&H with ODU coming up and I'm a little concerned about that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

member 157595

I remember when Grobe told Wake fans "There's no upside to playing App State" 20 years ago when App was FCS.

Wake's made one trip to Boone and escaped by the skin of their teeth blocking a last second field goal that would win the game.

Can't say I am interested in heading back up there. Then again, I see a H&H with ODU coming up and I'm a little concerned about that as well.

I call BS. A blocked field goal has most definitely never affected App State's fortunes before.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah ODU is no joke. I can see series making a bit of sense from recruiting standpoint but that's also a zero sum game. Win and it's "well that was supposed to happen", lose and it's a terrible l.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I'm just glad we (ASU) finally got that monkey off our backs. The last three games against P5 schools had been absolute barn burners, but we lost every one in heartbreaking fashion. It was nice to see us close it out this time.

Also, I woke up today and my voice was officially gone. First time in my life I've every actually lost my voice. The weird thing is how I had it yesterday but lost it today. But we screamed our heads off, got on TV several times doing so, and now I'm paying for it.

Worth it.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah ODU is no joke. I can see series making a bit of sense from recruiting standpoint but that's also a zero sum game. Win and it's "well that was supposed to happen", lose and it's a terrible l.
Meh, as a Tech fan that witnessed that loss last year, I still think it's a good series for us to play. I like it much better than the ECU series for instance that also provided some of the same pitfalls over the years before they fell apart. It's nice for Tech at the very least to be visible in that area of the state every other year (provided they don't get as abused as they did last year even if they lose). It's not as easy to recruit that area of the state as it was in Beamer's peak years. I also think it's good to potentially help develop them as an upstart group of 5 team.

I'm not sure if there is anything similar at play with App State and the other NC teams, but I wouldn't ever cringe away from playing them either. If you lose to those teams, you need to elevate your level anyways, even if they are great at their level or conference.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I do not understand unc going for 2 there. I mean if it had worked it would've been gutsy but it didnt
They had house money no one gave them a chance (Me included) they went for the win that's the right play..Dabo said it correctly they got outplayed and outcoached.

Reactions: Canes

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I guess my thought is I'd rather say yeah we took them to overtime and it got crazy than we almost had them at the end... maybe that's just me

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The odds were still against them in an OT scenario given their talent disadvantage, IMO. I feel like they had just as good of a chance if not a better one to beat them by converting a two point conversion, and they really didn't have anything to lose being 2-2. If they were 3-1, it probably would have made a lot more sense to kick the FG and play for OT and hope Clemson screws up.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I am $50 richer tomorrow. UNC fan I know was really confident they would beat Clemson.

On another note, I get there wasn't a lot to choose from this week but my God, Nebraska being given a prime-time game and College Gameday going to Lincoln was a disaster. Anyone that thought Nebraska would even compete with Ohio State was out to lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad