Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides Jack Hughes, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Albin Grewe, C/RW [Djurgardens J20, SuperElit]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Still a lot will change, but this draft is getting weirder by the day. Some top talented players like Cajkovic and Nussbaumer who are consensus first rounders are on truly effin' terrible teams (a lot of scouts have their work cut out for them). Then someone like Lavoie, who is quite talent, is on a really deep team so his numbers might be a bit inflated to the amount of talent he has. Next, there are a crap ton of pure goalscores it is looking like in the top half; Boldy, Caufield, Foote, Kaliyev, Lavoie, McMichael, Podkolzin, and Alexandrov. Not that this is a bad thing, more like an observation since you tend to find a lot of the offencive dynamos (ones who have identical goals and assists) get drafted first over a lot of "potentially" one-dimensional players, but as of now we'll probably be seeing a number of sniper type forwards be drafted fairly early.

One player to watch for that could be a big riser is Vladislav Kolyachonok at eliteprospects.com . Heard a ton of good things about him. This is year and next year are generational golden age drafts for Belarus.

I mean it could get weirder. Avs win 1st and 2nd overall, but Kakko falls off a Donkey and breaks his fibula, and Hughes will be seeing a child psychologist trying to convince him to stay in hockey instead of switching professions to figure skating.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Still a lot will change, but this draft is getting weirder by the day.

Remember in november last year when everyone on this board wanted Jared McIsaac? It's almost pointless to make a list at this time of the season.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
After racking up points against total cans to start the season, Kakko has been held pointless in 4 of the last 5 Liiga games and again in the U20 game.
And Hughes got creamed and had the 3rd worst+/-
On the kiddie team before this 5 nations exhibition

Furthermore , questions of his his ability to play center are becoming more frequent

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Remember in november last year when everyone on this board wanted Jared McIsaac? It's almost pointless to make a list at this time of the season.

I still want McIsaac... he’s playing really well to start the season...

Drafts are always weird in the beginning. The big oddity I see this season is how terrible the OHL is... they will have more that 7-9 drafted, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable turning in an OHL list with more than that listed as draftable.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's not pointless, there will always be risers and fallers but you need something to base your later lists off of.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I still want McIsaac... he’s playing really well to start the season...

Drafts are always weird in the beginning. The big oddity I see this season is how terrible the OHL is... they will have more that 7-9 drafted, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable turning in an OHL list with more than that listed as draftable.

Another example of the draft being weird is last year you have the NHL's favourite type of goalie prospects up for grabs and essentially all of them struggle to put up average to good numbers. This year has different skilled goalies up for grabs and all are off to average to very good starts. I think scouts are much happier though in trying to find which goalies successful seasons are going to continue rather than which goalies can stop struggling.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Arthur Kaliyev at eliteprospects.com
Thoughts on Kaliyev? Putting up big numbers alongside Avs prospect Brandon Saigeon. Sorry if hes already been discussed.
I hate his play away from the puck, but dayum, that shot is electric. Mid to late teens for me, just because his all around game is weak, but you take him in the late teens with that shot and hope you can develop his defensive game to be minimally acceptable at the NHL level. Boom or bust pick.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I hate his play away from the puck, but dayum, that shot is electric. Mid to late teens for me, just because his all around game is weak, but you take him in the late teens with that shot and hope you can develop his defensive game to be minimally acceptable at the NHL level. Boom or bust pick.
His numbers are crazy for a 17 Y/O. Besides his shot does he show any reasons to doubt his offense translating?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
His numbers are crazy for a 17 Y/O. Besides his shot does he show any reasons to doubt his offense translating?
His offense, no, but NHL coaches will bench/scratch him if he keeps dogging it without the puck. He just kind of stands there when the other team has the puck, but you can see him totally change gears and get hungry when there's an opportunity for offense. You could get a consistent 40 goal scorer put of the pick, or you could get a Wolski.

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
His offense, no, but NHL coaches will bench/scratch him if he keeps dogging it without the puck. He just kind of stands there when the other team has the puck, but you can see him totally change gears and get hungry when there's an opportunity for offense. You could get a consistent 40 goal scorer put of the pick, or you could get a Wolski.
Thanks man. Appreciate your thoughts.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As McMetal has mentioned, Kaliyev is as dangerous as they come by when the puck is on his stick and he's as useless as they come by when the puck isn't on his stick. He is....well.....complicated because you cannot deny his offencive weaponry in his repertoire, but you come away feeling unsatisfied when you watch him.

I am starting to have the same concerns about Ryan Suzuki and echo the comments by Hench about the OHL this year. There are some prospects who I quite like, so it isn't a lost year entirely, but I am seeing red flags in a lot of players including Suzuki. One of the biggest is that he is BY FAR one of the worst cherry-picking players I have watched the past five or so drafts. Terrible because he is also a centre so defence is a huge responsibility, but he hangs around the blueline when the puck is in the defencive zone waiting for his team to win the battles and throw it towards his direction. He also has absolutely no defencive ability in his game, but it isn't for a lack of trying (when he isn't cherry-picking that is). His skating is superb and is insanely crafty with the puck, but he tends to stickhandle too much leading to an absurd amount in loss of possession. His vision is also quite good, while his shot is at the muffin level for me. After watching him a couple of times, no way I would want him in the top 20 as he is now. Not sure if he is even a centre in the long run as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
While we're on the subject of offense translating to the NHL, what about Caufield? He may grow a bit still, according to EP his dad measured at 5'10, but still, he could be smaller than Yamamoto when all is said and done if he doesn't.

Looking at him play though... I'd say more likely than not that he can score at the NHL level. He doesn't have the pure skating ability of a guy like Gaudreau to avoid contact entirely, but he's utterly fearless and plays much bigger than his size even at that level. Plus, his release is really great and he has the goal-scorers instinct to find open ice to get his sniper shot away.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The only OHL guy that has risen for me this year is Kolyachonok... Suzuki and Kaliyev will be first round selections, but they are going to be hotly debated prospects. There will be one or two guys in every team room that have both solidly in the top 10 and some that have them outside their 2nd round tier.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Haven't seen him play yet this year but apparently Newhook has taken a large positive step in development this year. Being axed by HC really lit a fire under the kid too. He's dying to prove them wrong.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Haven't seen him play yet this year but apparently Newhook has taken a large positive step in development this year. Being axed by HC really lit a fire under the kid too. He's dying to prove them wrong.

Always be wary of below averaged sized players without explosive skating.;)

He is playing pretty well and taking over games with more regularity than he did last year... but still pretty inconsistent there. Good signs, but the same questions are there. I'd want to see the consistency increase as the season goes on and how he plays at the U18s. His teammate Alex Campbell is a late round name to keep an eye on, there is a ton of skill there, but very raw.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Always be wary of below averaged sized players without explosive skating.;)

He is playing pretty well and taking over games with more regularity than he did last year... but still pretty inconsistent there. Good signs, but the same questions are there. I'd want to see the consistency increase as the season goes on and how he plays at the U18s. His teammate Alex Campbell is a late round name to keep an eye on, there is a ton of skill there, but very raw.
Newhook is an explosive skater though

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Newhook is an explosive skater though

He's really not... I've watched the kid many times and his skating is pretty similar to Jost's with a better top gear. People really get tied up in top speed with skating and Newhook has that, when he gets going his speed is very dangerous... but in smaller areas he doesn't have the burst in his stride to create separation. What makes MacK's skating so dangerous isn't his high top speed (he's probably not even in the top 5 of the NHL there), but his ability to change speeds quickly and to take 1-2 strides and create separation from a defending player. That is what Newhook lacks when it comes to skating. He isn't super adept at getting that at the BCHL level and it gets much tougher at the NHL level to create that.

The NHL is played in tight spaces, players who can create space have a much higher success rate of panning out. That can be through physicality, hands, skating, etc.... many ways to skin that cat, but creating space for skill to be used is the key for offense in the NHL.

FTR Newhook is in the teens for me in this draft. I think he is a very good prospect, with a couple flaws. He has very solid offensive upside if developed properly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not yet... not sure if there is a timetable yet. He's going to really have to impress in the second half to claw back into the top 10 at this point.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
While we're on the subject of offense translating to the NHL, what about Caufield? He may grow a bit still, according to EP his dad measured at 5'10, but still, he could be smaller than Yamamoto when all is said and done if he doesn't.

Looking at him play though... I'd say more likely than not that he can score at the NHL level. He doesn't have the pure skating ability of a guy like Gaudreau to avoid contact entirely, but he's utterly fearless and plays much bigger than his size even at that level. Plus, his release is really great and he has the goal-scorers instinct to find open ice to get his sniper shot away.
I'm probably a record player, but I absolutely love Caufield. I would draft him over a lot of people who are getting pretty high rankings like Suzuki, Zegras, Robertson, and others. If he's able to withstand the physical level because every single guy will get hit, including Quinn Hughes, but I have no issues or concerns of his game if we pick him somewhere in the teens.

However, I think Avs can get a bit bigger and more physical with talent in this draft. Lavoie isn't a very physical guy, but he is definitely hard to control similar to Rantanen. Boldy is one guy I would definitely look at besides Dach with the Sens pick. Another player, who I am absolutely buying into is Josh Williams from Medicine Hat - I personally have him as a top 15 player he has been that outstanding for me. Plays only north-to-south type of game, but holy smokes he is good at it. I've seen him outplay Cozens in three of the four match ups on the season currently.

The only OHL guy that has risen for me this year is Kolyachonok... Suzuki and Kaliyev will be first round selections, but they are going to be hotly debated prospects. There will be one or two guys in every team room that have both solidly in the top 10 and some that have them outside their 2nd round tier.
My favourite prospect from the OHL is Billy Constantinou and I suggest that he is rising as well, who plays that modern style game you want from the backend. You also have Rees, though he has been injured and McMichael who I haven't watched yet. I still have some faith in Robertson, he's been heating up a bit lately to perhaps make his way into the late 1st round.

What are people's thoughts on Massimo Rizzo here aka Hench? He was touted as a top 10 prospect a couple years ago.
Has Turcotte gotten back on the ice yet?
Yes and I believe he record one assist in two games. Months will probably be needed for Turcotte to get back into that top 5 discussion, but if he doesn't and Ottawa's pick falls in that 7th range, then by all means I'll walk him down the aisle to Avs draft table even if he has a Red Wings jersey on.

Not yet... not sure if there is a timetable yet. He's going to really have to impress in the second half to claw back into the top 10 at this point.
You sure? I swear that one of my USHL buddies said he was playing last weekend?

Reactions: cgf

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My favourite prospect from the OHL is Billy Constantinou and I suggest that he is rising as well, who plays that modern style game you want from the backend. You also have Rees, though he has been injured and McMichael who I haven't watched yet. I still have some faith in Robertson, he's been heating up a bit lately to perhaps make his way into the late 1st round.

What are people's thoughts on Massimo Rizzo here aka Hench? He was touted as a top 10 prospect a couple years ago.

You sure? I swear that one of my USHL buddies said he was playing last weekend?

Constantinou is going to be an early 2nd guy, but over the years I've become more and more cautious of the guys who don't have a stand out skill. I see a lot of that in Constantinou. In the late 2nd through 4th, very solid pick. I think I'd avoid him in the top 45.

Rizzo is a mid-round guy to me. His skating is quite good and has a good burst to his game, but I think his feet outdo his brain and hands from time to time. Needs to show more commitment on the defensive side of the puck. Hard to get a great gauge on his as he as been injured.

Positive on Turcotte... USA hasn't played in the states because of the Five Nations and Turcotte didn't join them on the trip.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
In case anyone is curious about this years goalie draft class:

Beautiful work, a bit too much CHL, but it is what it is (might be a terrible year from Europe). My prediction is that Hunter Jones falls and Mack Gudza rises (quite like his game). Nolan Maier doesn't really do anything for the entire season staying around that 9th to 12th rank, he's as bland as vanilla or the colour biege. I also think Trent Miner is a name to watch as well, might because he's on a loaded team, but I like what I saw in a limited form. Also, what I've seen from Spencer Knight this year, I would not be hesitant to pick in the mid-teens he's been that dominant.

What are you thoughts on Lucas Rheyneuclaudes and Jordan Hollett (OTT)? Hollet is someone who I suggest is insanely underrated and somebody who should absolutely be there on Canada's WJC, but knowing their selection he won't be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad