Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides Jack Hughes, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Albin Grewe, C/RW [Djurgardens J20, SuperElit]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Hasn't Podkolzin said he isn't coming to North America any time sooon? Kid has crazy good skills, but I would want someone that is interested in playing in the NHL as soon as possible.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Draft Podkolzin with the Ottawa pick; trade Barrie, Kerf, Ghetto & a conditional pick for Drae when Chia gets "bold"; start winning cups in a year or two with:

Landy - MacK - Rantanen
Jost - Draisaitl - Podkolzin
Shvyryov - Kamenev - Kaut
Greer - Bowers - Jimmothy
Kovalenko

boom

Z - Makar
Girard - Meloche
Timmins - EJ

Right?

Reactions: UncleRisto and cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Cole being on the contract before the contract that beauch signed with us, lets us ease Timmins back; other than that you’re really onto something here...

Ahh yes, forgot about him when thinking two-three years down the line.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A year or two =/= two-three years down the line

...hater...

Well for the record I think I might actually be the only one who has mentioned the possibility of Cole being re-signed after this deal. Especially in a positive scenario lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well for the record I think I might actually be the only one who has mentioned the possibility of Cole being re-signed after this deal. Especially in a positive scenario lol.

If he’s holding strong through this contract, I wouldn’t mind having him back for another year...in the crazy scenario where neither French Nic nor concussed-Bambi can carry the third pairing yet & we don’t need that money elsewhere.

But I feel it likely that Cole, like Beauch, would be wise to look for a 3 year deal when he hits FA...and I would not want to be the team that gives it to him.

But I do like his game while he’s still got gas in the tank. So maybe he’ll take a 1-year extension at a slight cut, when he’s eligible?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
If he’s holding strong through this contract, I wouldn’t mind having him back for another year...in the crazy scenario where neither French Nic nor concussed-Bambi can carry the third pairing yet & we don’t need that money elsewhere.

But I feel it likely that Cole, like Beauch, would be wise to look for a 3 year deal when he hits FA...and I would not want to be the team that gives it to him.

But I do like his game while he’s still got gas in the tank. So maybe he’ll take a 1-year extension at a slight cut, when he’s eligible?
Obviously he will when we win the cup his final season with us.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@S E P H any chance you would expand your thoughts on Dach Vs Podkolzin. I'm only familiar with Dach but think he will have a pretty similar playstyle to a guy like Getzlaf. Especially if we get him a good winger to compliment his playmaking. So I guess my question would be what gives Podkolzin the advantage in your opinion?

I actually agree with Hench and I see Dach as a winger long term and Cozens as a centre, even though I prefer Kirby currently. Dach for me is a Leon Draisaitl clone who I think can survive at centre, but like Leon is on McDavid's wing, I suggest he will be more productive as a winger. For the record I am not saying that Podkolzin is better, but he most definitely fits our club better. He's an off-the-rush winger, but besides being a blinder player that affects majority of those type of wingers, he has an immense amount of IQ. Think about this draft's version of Phil Kessel, but Podkolzin I think is much more responsible with the puck while not being as talented as Kessel. However, he makes up for it with his creativity and stickhandling - he is also much more dangerous of a player 1-v-1 than Kessel IMO.

Hasn't Podkolzin said he isn't coming to North America any time sooon? Kid has crazy good skills, but I would want someone that is interested in playing in the NHL as soon as possible.
I believe he has a two-year deal with his KHL team, but I can see it potentially get extended and him coming over the same time that Kuznetsov or Tarasenko did.

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I actually agree with Hench and I see Dach as a winger long term and Cozens as a centre, even though I prefer Kirby currently. Dach for me is a Leon Draisaitl clone who I think can survive at centre, but like Leon is on McDavid's wing, I suggest he will be more productive as a winger. For the record I am not saying that Podkolzin is better, but he most definitely fits our club better. He's an off-the-rush winger, but besides being a blinder player that affects majority of those type of wingers, he has an immense amount of IQ. Think about this draft's version of Phil Kessel, but Podkolzin I think is much more responsible with the puck while not being as talented as Kessel. However, he makes up for it with his creativity and stickhandling. He is also much more dangerous of a player 1-v-1 than Kessel IMO.

I believe he has a two-year deal with his KHL team, but I can see it potentially get extended and him coming over the same time that Kuznetsov or Tarasenko did.

xndq46.jpg

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So after tonights action, based on points percentage the Ottawa pick would line up to be 3rd overall.

An the Avs have the 6th best Point% in the league.

Just imagine this team is a Top ~5 team in the league after this year and already a borderline cup contender, and we get a Top 3 pick in the draft. Get to add one of Hughes/Kakko/Dach to the lineup for free.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I actually agree with Hench and I see Dach as a winger long term and Cozens as a centre, even though I prefer Kirby currently. Dach for me is a Leon Draisaitl clone who I think can survive at centre, but like Leon is on McDavid's wing, I suggest he will be more productive as a winger. For the record I am not saying that Podkolzin is better, but he most definitely fits our club better. He's an off-the-rush winger, but besides being a blinder player that affects majority of those type of wingers, he has an immense amount of IQ. Think about this draft's version of Phil Kessel, but Podkolzin I think is much more responsible with the puck while not being as talented as Kessel. However, he makes up for it with his creativity and stickhandling - he is also much more dangerous of a player 1-v-1 than Kessel IMO.

I'll take 2nd line Draisaitl over 1st liner winger drai. We just need to surround him with good wingers. Kerfoot and Jost might work but ideally we sign a guy like Stone or a Kaut really takes off.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
“Can survive at center” don’t you start with that product of McDavid bull**** now to.
Oh Draisaitl is an amazing player, I am on your side. Leon shouldn't play centre currently because Edmonton is a tyrefire and have absolutely zero wingers to give LD. Using him as an example is the best one I could think of currently even if both are in different situations in the long term.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh Draisaitl is an amazing player, I am on your side. Leon shouldn't play centre currently because Edmonton is a tyrefire and have absolutely zero wingers to give LD. Using him as an example is the best one I could think of currently even if both are in different situations in the long term.

It just seems odd to bring up Leon being forced onto the wing by circumstance when prognosticating how a kid would fit at center in the long run. Cause if he’s Leon like at Center, I could give a shit how he does on the wing cause we have Jost, Kerf, Jimmothy & soon Kaut...and our top line has no vacancies. Ya know?

If your point was he’s ideally a winger who can make do at center, then wouldn’t Mikko be the more apt comparison?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It just seems odd to bring up Leon being forced onto the wing by circumstance when prognosticating how a kid would fit at center in the long run. Cause if he’s Leon like at Center, I could give a **** how he does on the wing cause we have Jost, Kerf, Jimmothy & soon Kaut...and our top line has no vacancies. Ya know?

If your point was he’s ideally a winger who can make do at center, then wouldn’t Mikko be the more apt comparison?

I think this year that might be Landy lol. No one will ever say it in the media, but Landeskog has basically been centering our top line this season. All the important things a center does defensively, and in the dot is Landy's job lol.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Podkolzin has something in his game that I just don’t care for much. I can’t fully put my finger on it yet, but something just isn’t right there. He’s easily a top 10 talent, but something is off to me.

Cozens might be big for the WHL, but he’s physically undeveloped. He will put on 30+ pounds between now and 21... that will allow him to use his body more than he does now. He’s a projection player. Not a guy who will have the best draft season, but a guy you expect to break out big in his +1 and +2 seasons. In other words, probably not a guy who gets selected in the top 5, but could be a guy who ends up a top 5 level player.

Dach is certainly playing very well and deserves his rise up the rankings. I don’t think the skating is there long term to be a center and as effective as he can be, but it certainly won’t be there if he keeps up his habit of turning off his feet. That is getting much better, but he needs to consistently keep his feet moving if he is going to have a long-term center future. That said, one of the highest offensive ceilings in this draft and offense at a difference making level (which I think he has) is something that makes teams overlook a lot of things. I actually expect him to compete with Kakko for the #2 spot as the season winds down (FTR I prefer Kakko at 2 and others are debatable with Dach in the 3-7 range).

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Turcotte was #2 before the season started and some scouts had him pushing for #1 because of his 200ft game. He will go top 5

I am a big fan of Turcotte, so I have no particular issue with him being ranked that high, but I think it is difficult to maintain such a high ranking if you are not playing. Zegras has emerged in a way that I thought Turcotte might.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Z - Makar
Girard - Meloche
Timmins - EJ

Right?

Looks great on paper today but many things would have to go right for this to happen.

Anybody have any interest in Byram? Would love to sure up the team's defence with another stuff prospect at D. You can never go wrong with several strong defencemen. See Nashville.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Looks great on paper today but many things would have to go right for this to happen.

Anybody have any interest in Byram? Would love to sure up the team's defence with another stuff prospect at D. You can never go wrong with several strong defencemen. See Nashville.

Eh, it'd just require Makar not to bust & bambi to make it past his concussion.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

He’s who I want if we can’t get one of the top 2 or Dach/Cozens. Another high end D prospect would be a very good thing for us.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

I'm in on Byram

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad